Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So I just redeemed a code for the game on GOG and is the backer edition seriously just the basic version of the game?

They probably mapped backer levels to editions. If you backed at a low level, you get the basic version.
I backed at $495 for the code I used. Hence my confusion.

Fry

Arcane
So I just redeemed a code for the game on GOG and is the backer edition seriously just the basic version of the game?

They probably mapped backer levels to editions. If you backed at a low level, you get the basic version.
I backed at $495 for the code I used. Hence my confusion.

Maybe they're putting the extras for backers on the backer site. Or maybe your full version doesn't unlock until it actually releases.

Turjan

Arcane
3nXPFTkBLVYscfkU9xRSbQ.jpg
This looks like low budget art from a low budget PnP RPG sourcebook. The kind of art you know was done on the cheap just by looking at it.
:lol: I guess you have never seen a low budget RPG sourcebook.

Incidentally, the style looks exactly like something Monte would buy for his own RPG sourcebooks.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
By the way, back in days of yore, some wag here wanted to know if there would be a nychthemeron romance in the game. I am pleased to say that the reference stayed in, though it's so late in the game I doubt any Codexer will make it. :/

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
By the way, back in days of yore, some wag here wanted to know if there would be a nychthemeron romance in the game. I am pleased to say that the reference stayed in, though it's so late in the game I doubt any Codexer will make it. :/
We'll get there to just to complain about it,

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also notable, InExile literally don't have a preload. Who the fuck releases a game on PC and doesn't have a preload in this day and age???

Only reason I can imagine is because they're working right up until the deadline to get it workable.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Wow, I'd forgotten how many side characters and so forth I wrote for this thing. Memory's a funny thing.

The references are so abstruse and ridiculous. A comment on the controversy over the U.S. census bureau moving to statistical sampling methods? I actually think the accusation of a writer writing only for himself might be true for me. :decline: But man, the intended audience loves it!

[EDIT: Wow... a Diff'rent Strokes reference to also address a Codexian complaint about backer obelisks. The funny thing is, I doubt anyone will get any of the references, Codexian or otherwise. (Maybe the Orz ones.) So it goes.]

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Well, one character in the Oasis was cut entirely, but I wrote her for a writing test and so she was probably my weakest bit. One piece of snark appears to be gone, but lots of other snark stayed in, so I'm guessing that the line got dropped mostly out of people not getting the reference as opposed to thinking it too snarky. I'm not really sure where individual lines got changed -- it would be laborious to figure out. Like any vain/insecure writer, I'm sort of reluctant to try and figure it out. I trust that where they made changes it was for the better, since (as I've said elsewhere) I think a lot of the crew. But I'm hopeful there weren't too many changes since each line came from some part of me in a metastasis sort of way.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
A floating skull, a constantly burning and writhing in agony man, a virtuous succubus, a fallen githzerai, a cute Modron, a hollow suit of armor. And ...Annah, she's kinda the odd one out. That's a bit different than Man No 1, Man No 2, some Asian chick, a milf, a discount emo and literally a child.

The "Asian chick" isn't a companion, she's the female protagonist.
She looks like a fucking mongoloid, though.

The fact that she's supposed to be the protagonist just makes it worse.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
such crever joke and reference hóhóhóhó

(in the actual game they say "annotated my logbook" instead hueheuheuheuehueh)

A floating skull, a constantly burning and writhing in agony man, a virtuous succubus, a fallen githzerai, a cute Modron, a hollow suit of armor. And ...Annah, she's kinda the odd one out. That's a bit different than Man No 1, Man No 2, some Asian chick, a milf, a discount emo and literally a child.

The "Asian chick" isn't a companion, she's the female protagonist.
She looks like a fucking mongoloid, though.

The fact that she's supposed to be the protagonist just makes it worse.
What's wrong with mongoloids?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You forget Man with impossibly fabulous hair. :M
ofc the 3D is dated but the character designs are sound.
I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise though
Tworment character designs are banal shit boring. When I played numanuma pnp I had a more interesting character than those ppl.
That's part of what pisses me off. There's heaps of shit you can levie against Numenera, but just a glance in the core books, let alone the supplements, and it's practically impossible to make characters this uninteresting and bland. You can quite literally roll a dice three times and come up with more interesting things. It just adds insult to injury that out of all the available foci, we get three supremely bland ones, too.

The fact that the art of Tides of Numenera is so terrible just adds to this frustration, because a single look in the Numenera books awes you with far greater art, and again, no matter what shit you throw at it, it's got a great style, and the art pieces really convey the sense of weird and wonder to the reader/player. Meanwhile, the Tides of Numenera centerpiece quite literally puts me off my breakfast. An ill-proportioned degenerate mongoloid, staring back at me with eerily 'grey alien' looks, with all the fine features of a malnourished tumblrina, down to the haircut, just less white. Seriously, inXile, with the source material you had, between Planescape: Torment as inspiration and the setting of Numenera, how could you fuck up this bad?

Also notable, InExile literally don't have a preload. Who the fuck releases a game on PC and doesn't have a preload in this day and age???

[...]
PC is an afterthought to inXile, didn't you get the memo?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Except from the fact that pretty much everyone from BIS gives Fargo a lot of credit.

Of course, they are going to give Fargo a lot of credit, that's how things work in the grow ups world. Or do you really think that they would say something like "Hmm....Fargo, I hated work with him, the company was a mess"? At best, you will notice some indirect criticisms, e.g., Tim Cain saying that he was unhappy with FO2 direction and wasn't able to convince the "management". But hey, I'm just a nobody in the internet. What do I know? These are obscure celebrities! If they only said positive things, it must be true.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Even though ive been shitting on Fargo a lot he does have past merit. But starting 3 new projects everytime you finish one is a bad business strategy even if most of the budget is covered trough fig&publishers. If one game sells nothing there is no safety margin in the budget anymore. Fuck up customer relations or publisher relations and suddenly your taking it up the ass worth 3 games instead of one.

I think he is trying to secure the team before they go work for somebody else. They won't just lay around waiting for a new job.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom