Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

Why do people who want to play a Torment game complain about slow pacing and much text anyway? I'm rather sad to hear they changed that.

I'm pretty sure they didn't. They're addressing problems with the opening, and slow pacing isn't one of them, nor are they cutting dialog (more like the opposite I think).

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why do people who want to play a Torment game complain about slow pacing and much text anyway? I'm rather sad to hear they changed that.

I'm pretty sure they didn't. They're addressing problems with the opening, and slow pacing isn't one of them, nor are they cutting dialog (more like the opposite I think).
Well, most complaints were going in this direction, and their answer sounded like this to me as well.
How do you come to your conclusion?
Btw., I hope you're right!

Prime Junta

Well, most complaints were going in this direction, and their answer sounded like this to me as well.

I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you.
Now your nickname makes sense.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
+1.5 years of patching.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I think this will be more solid than other Kickstarter projects. Instead of 29 months, it'll be about 3.5 years, and they're using an engine they're already familiar with. Good to go within 5-6 months.

Prime Junta

From a tech/general quality POV the beta was pretty good months ago. Only the first iteration was typical bug-ridden crap.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It doesn't make sense to me that the game would need seven more months of development. That would make the entire beta period longer than even Wasteland 2's.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It doesn't make sense to me that the game would need seven more months of development. That would make the entire beta period longer than even Wasteland 2's.

I forgot. In that case, make it four months.

Prime Junta

Eh. Still needs a fairly aggressive optimization pass.

More like "could use." But then what doesn't? It doesn't run any worse than Pillars and that was good enough for production.

Point being, from the second iteration out the game "felt finished." Not perfect, mind, but no buggier, less stable, or worse-performing than most similar games at release. This is in complete contrast to the Pillars beta which was a glorious practically unplayable clusterfuck two-thirds through the beta, then became barely playable but still horrendously buggy, and only the very last build felt like it was close to releasable quality.

-> tangent

I got the strong feeling that Obsidian "back-loads" their quality. I.e. the programmers do whatever and QA only gets involved at the end, quite close to release. You can get quality software like that, eventually, but it's no fun and can take long. It's a much better approach to front-load it: try to get an integrated thing as soon as possible, and get QA involved right from that moment. Especially when dealing with something as inherently complex as a cRPG. It also ends up costing less in the end, as well as making the whole process much more predictable.

throwaway

Cipher
The adult who decided that a spillover from the lowest of internet culture into a product connected to a rather pretentious video game was acceptable needs disciplining. Fargo, where art thou?

I don't like the voice acting from a lot of the preview vids they've been releasing. It feels weird and pulls me out of the game. Can anyone who's played the beta say if there's a volume slider for voicework? That shit may be a dealbreaker for me.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
CosmicCommander
2boKx.jpg

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
From a tech/general quality POV the beta was pretty good months ago. Only the first iteration was typical bug-ridden crap.

Which is something done once code is finished, not in the middle of beta.

On that note - I fell out of the loop a bit, did inXile announce a new beta update? Current release (1st patch) is kinda old.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Which is something done once code is finished, not in the middle of beta.

On that note - I fell out of the loop a bit, did inXile announce a new beta update? Current release (1st patch) is kinda old.
I think they'll be releasing a new beta update when they finish up the rework of the intro. Apparently a lot of people didn't like it and/or had problems with it, so they are revamping it.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Dat Sea selfie, tho.

Hope the next beta build is on the way. Can't wait to give this 'nother spin based on the early feedback

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Those Thai orphans look like they've seen some stuff. Dodging the danger of the Downtown Inn.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
A smart move by him. Why would you want to damage your career by associating with a bunch of degenerate autists on here?

Okaaay, we took a look at your resumée, looks good an-.. wait a minute. You frequented the KODEX? Sorry. You don't get the job.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A smart move by him. Why would you want to damage your career by associating with a bunch of degenerate autists on here?

Okaaay, we took a look at your resumée, looks good an-.. wait a minute. You frequented the KODEX? Sorry. You don't get the job.

inXile seems to have the most amount of devs who read/post on the Codex, sea's actually an outlier here. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom