Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game is going to have 9 month of pre-production. What is there really we can ask at this current time?

Well there seems to be several questions about combat, backer suggestions, and others I'm sure that I missed in this 110+ thread as well as the other ones floating around. It would be nice to have something on the front page that had more "official" answers from Colin and Co. Plus it's more media attention for the game and I want that, regardless of the source. Just saying...

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When are we going to get a Codex interview?!! I thought we were the "Prestigious Magazine" on the Interwebz! :obviously: Is there a thread to submit questions floating around that I haven't seen? Is an interview in the works?

As you may have noticed, our editor in chief, bless her heart, is quite busy these days and doesn't have much time for the Codex.

However, something may be in the works. Wait a bit.

hiver

:eek:

Be careful not to trip and break a nail!
-(this relates to infinitron and his ilk, not bee)-

(several hundred brofists to bee, ofc)

Kirtai

Augur
I like plots that have multiple antagonist factions who fight each other as often as they fight you. It was one of the good things about NWN2 OC.
Hopefully we'll see at least some of this between the hunter and your progenitor among others.

<Insert images of castoffs being, uh, cast off the back of a sled for the pursuing wolves>

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
I find it really odd they haven't mentioned yet if it will be real time with pause or turn based? If they did mention it, let me know. Also, will they use the engine for wasteland 2 or make a new one? (pretty sure it's the former but...)

Also, their latest stretch goal involves a place you can visit after DYING. Yet, on the Numenera websote Monte states that death is final...

SO I guess InExile is perverting the lore of this game in order to satisfy Torment fans. But is that really necessary? Did what make Torment, Torment the fact you couldn't be killed and rose back on the slab? Do they really need that? Why not use some creativity and come up with something new, a twist that is not only unique but also makes sense within the game world.

hiver

[a]list: What are your views on Kickstarter as not just a funding platform for games, but one where game makers can test the waters for what players want?

Brian Fargo: People have often talked about Kickstarter fatigue but instead I saw that as crowd funding doing its job. In conversation, people will often tell you how excited they are about a concept or how badly they want a sequel, but the rubber meets the road when it comes down to people voting with their money. And the process has a secondary effect of having the gamers more invested - financially and emotionally - such that we have a strong dialogue about what the game becomes. This is the paradigm for future development as far as I’m concerned.

[a]list: What about as a marketing platform, do you think getting visibility during a successful Kickstarter campaign can translate into broader interest and sales momentum when the game ships?

Brian Fargo: And yes another benefit of having all these great people behind a game is the word of mouth that spreads purely on the game itself. No marketing jargon or false hype but pure organic and viral communication. Once again I see a shift away from the old days when people ran marketing campaigns to trick people into buying bad games for a few weeks. With crowd funding you have a large body of people who were part of its creation from day one.

:salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.alienlion.com/guido-henkel-talks-torment/

Guido Henkel said:
I honestly have no opinion on that subject.

Ouch.
Why would he be so butthurt about the subject? I mean, does he think that saying a good word about Torment would cost him some donnors for his project? Or is he jealous that his previous funding attempt failed?

Guido Henkel said:
I thought it was a great story and it was the reason why I signed on to the project in the first place. I had a number of job offers on the table at that time, and decided on this one because of the unique nature of the game. Little did I know then that I would have so little influence over the actual development of the story. Had I known, I would probably have picked the job offered to me by another Irvine-based company instead. It still puzzles me to this day, why I was ultimately courted, when the company was not at all interested in my creative experience and skills.

Seems to me that he's butthurt that he never got to land a job at fucking BLIZZARD.

Diablo169

Arcane
It's a real shame Henkel didn't get that job at Blizzard, just think of all the wonderful stories he could be crafting with Chris Metzen :lol:

Joking aside, he's implying he could have done a better job leading Torment then MCA. Way to alienate the codex Guido.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/314109601249378304/photo/1

BFvxBKNCQAAziLL.jpg:large

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
We can welcome Brian Mitsoda to the team.
Well, adding up Paypal it was achieved yesterday, or?
Joking aside, he's implying he could have done a better job leading Torment then MCA. Way to alienate the codex Guido.
It is not what he implies. He is just angry (maybe a bit butthurt?) that he did not have as much of an influence over Planescape: Torment, as he would have liked. That is all. Whether it'd been for better, we will never know.

Pity, Thorwalla was widely overlooked and dismissed by major press, which is not a big surprise when you look back at it. Not much people recognized him for Torment or older games, and he did not think at all about prior-to-kickstarter marketing campaign (or again nobody gave a fuck from the press). Also his goal was simply unrealistic - which tells a LOT about his "market recognition" etc..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom