Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Guys, I think Shrek just doesn't understand the concept of phases for whatever reason. No point in discussing it further.
moar liek this.

Phases = you give orders in phase1 and they are all carried out (in various ways) in phase2

Turns = you give orders and they are instantly carried out.

jesus christ shrek

So there is a phase of simultaneous resolution?
it could have simultaneous or initiative-based resolution.

Zeriel

Arcane
Phases are pretty ass. Compared to RTwP, though... well, I guess pretty ass is better than intensely ass?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Not necessarily.

RPGs usually use initiative.

You mean like in Wizardry I guess. Yeah. In that case what happens is this:

1) Phase one You decide what you want to do and you are assigned an order to do it.
2) Phase two: The actions are carried out in that order REGARDLESS of the intentions; i.e. You cast a "ball of lightening" it does not explode where the target is now. It explodes after its action e.g. 'running away' (!!) is finished.
That has nothing to do with phase-based combat but with the magic system. Same thing can happen in a turn-based game where you have a spell that has to be focused in a location and takes, say, an entire round to cast. If the monster acts before you in the initiative order it could easly move out of the area before the spell goes off.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
So I don't see what is your point, you're trying to diferentiate turn-based from phase-based while using an example that applies to both?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What the fuck does it have to do with the AI? The ball of lightning will go off when it is supposed to go off according to the mechanics, I have no idea how exactly it works in Wizardry.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Please find treatment.

Or give us an example of a round of phase-based combat so we can understand what it is in your head.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
That is a really terrible example, because again, it has nothing to do with phase-based. The monster didn't get hit by the lightning ball because he acted first in order of initiative and moved away from the blast, intentionally or not.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.formspring.me/GZiets/q/439864841260264347

Huminds
The Bloom as you described it is utterly fascinating. Is it meant to be fully sentient like a human? Or it is aware on the level of a Venus fly trap for instance. What input will you have in further defining the Bloom? Will there be deities in Numenera?

GZiets 23 Mar
The Bloom is probably not sentient on the level of a human, but it’s a life form unlike anything currently on the planet so… its level of awareness isn’t directly comparable to anything we know.

I don’t know whether I’ll actually be doing area design for the Bloom yet - it’ll probably be a while before we start assigning areas to designers. My assumption is that the Bloom’s further development will be up to Colin and whoever gets assigned to work on it.

As for deities – I don’t think the Ninth World will have a pantheon of gods as Project Eternity does, though there could be beings who are seen as gods, or believed to be gods, by some people in the world.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Then I suggest you first do with the PB mode on and then we can discuss the merits of Phase based combat.
Not really? It isn't the only phase-based game in the world. It can be poorly implemented for all I know.

I mainly draw my examples from 2nd edition D&D and Storyteller phase-based combats because they are the ones I'm more familiar with.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Then I suggest you first do with the PB mode on and then we can discuss the merits of Phase based combat.
Not really? It isn't the only phase-based game in the world. It can be poorly implemented for all I know.

I mainly draw my examples from 2nd edition D&D and Storyteller phase-based combats because they are the ones I'm more familiar with.

Which computer game does that well?
Which computer game does any combat system well? How is that relevant?

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
http://www.formspring.me/GZiets/q/439864841260264347

Huminds
The Bloom as you described it is utterly fascinating. Is it meant to be fully sentient like a human? Or it is aware on the level of a Venus fly trap for instance. What input will you have in further defining the Bloom? Will there be deities in Numenera?

GZiets 23 Mar
The Bloom is probably not sentient on the level of a human, but it’s a life form unlike anything currently on the planet so… its level of awareness isn’t directly comparable to anything we know.

I don’t know whether I’ll actually be doing area design for the Bloom yet - it’ll probably be a while before we start assigning areas to designers. My assumption is that the Bloom’s further development will be up to Colin and whoever gets assigned to work on it.

As for deities – I don’t think the Ninth World will have a pantheon of gods as Project Eternity does, though there could be beings who are seen as gods, or believed to be gods, by some people in the world.

Stop trying to derail the thread !

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Funny that you mention that. Frozen Synapse happens to have fucking excellent AI:

I strongly encourage you to watch the entire gameplay section of this video. It starts at about 5:45.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Nope, it's not an RPG.

Anyway, that was just an early mission. The player has overwhelming force and a solid starting position, so there's little the AI can do there to actually win against a competent player. But you can see that it works well under the circumstances.

Look up LPs of more advanced missions if you're interested.

almondblight

Arcane
The only way to solve this is to create an AI that understands what is a tactical move. And that I can assure you ain't gonna happen any time soon. Only humans and after a LOT of practice will be good at this for loooooooooong time.

It works fine in Combat Mission.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
https://torment.uservoice.com/forums/197950-game-ideas/suggestions/3765012-disable-sleep-spamming

hiver said:
But,... you have proven several times already that you in fact are a pathetic brainless scumbag.
And probably someone who has been beaten too may times over your own pathetic empty head.
Its not an insult. Its just a fact, that you keep proving over and over for everyone to see.

The display of your cognitive and emotional feces is quite visible, right here and in the other thread of mine.
Its quite a display.

in before ban:kfc:

jewboy

Arbiter
Has inXile ever closed a topic? I'm sure their forums will be moderated but they don't seem to be bothering with uservoice.

Also, hiver is a huge force of good over there. Most of you should get off your lazy asses and do likewise.

Esquilax

Arcane
We've hit $ 3,000,057 with 54,906 backers. And there's still ten days left. This is going to have a monster finish.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I hope InXile do a good job of illustrating the working of different combat systems when they put them up for voting. Last thing that's needed is people voting while being clueless about the different systems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom