Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Right, so this week they were supposed to say something about 2D vs 3D? When is it coming?

I dunno. At this point I'm inclined to believe it's the $4m stretch goal—and if they don't reach that goal, they're going to be missing at least one $1,000 pledge because I won't tolerate 2D backgrounds being held hostage for some arbitrary amount I have no control over. They almost certainly will pass $4m, but regardless, it's fucking annoying that they haven't made an official statement yet.

Getting mad in advance is one of my specialties, meltdown in 5... 4... 3.... :x

hiver

I guess there will be a update tomorrow, seeing how close we are to the end.

And they should post some substantial things to help the last day spike.
2D or 3D isnt that big of a matter anyway. It would be good to know but it aint anything crucial.

I still hope they go for a hybrid of some sorts. Best solution from all angles, pleases everyone and its much cheaper to do, though of course i have no real idea on exact specific of it.

But there should be more stuff then that in these last updates.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
"2D backgrounds" is the top-voted stretch goal, and the third-highest-voted idea period on the Torment Community site.

They're very obviously holding back on purpose, and it's the one turd floating around in an otherwise pleasant punchbowl.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I don't give a shit about constant updates. I want that one extremely important update and have been waiting 22 days for it. Excellent misrepresentation of my position, though. :thumbsup:

Kirtai

Augur
Maybe they don't want to do 2D graphics for the same reason they aren't doing full voice acting; it's expensive and it locks in a bunch of stuff far too early.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Brother None, I saw that post before you deleted it. :lol:

I'm not actually mad and/or taking any of this seriously, I'm just feeling saucy this morning. There are a lot of important details still to be ironed out (combat system, 2D backgrounds, et cetera), though, and I'm certainly very eager for the developers to acknowledge their existence/make official announcements.

Brother None, I saw that post before you deleted it. :lol:

I'm not actually mad and/or taking any of this seriously, I'm just feeling saucy this morning. There are a lot of important details still to be ironed out (combat system, 2D backgrounds, et cetera), though, and I'm certainly very eager for the developers to acknowledge their existence/make official announcements.

Bro's a company man now and must be vewy, vewy careful. :smug:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Everyone was literally 10x as much of an asshat back in the early 2000s, but now we're all grown up.

Nostalgia....

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I've always (or long-since) been a careful poster and/or someone who instantly regrets posts or feels they don't add enough and thus deletes em. Has happened plenty of times people reply to posts of mine that don't exist anymore.

Blaine We've talked about combat systems, do hope to talk about it more. But since no definite decision will be made during the Kickstarter on what system we'll use, there's only so much to say, and you basically know most of it already via interviews/Formspring. As for graphics, it will be discussed, yes. There are some PR considerations that go into it, sure, that's just good business sense, but I wouldn't assume any nefarious master plans quite yet.

I remember him from the earlier No Mutants Allowed years (been lurking/rarely posting since 2004 or so). He's changed a lot.
Well, I was just exiting my teens then, and my earliest NMA mode was "trying really hard to be like Rosh". Was before I lived in Russia for half a year volunteering at an orphanage too, that was p life-changing. So it goes.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Bro there aren't any nefarious master plans, we all want Torment to harvest maximum $$$ by any means necessary (except the popamolization of the game itself of course).
Part of me does enjoy when something happens at a certain point simply because negotiations took a while or finalizing it didn't happen until right before it, like p much with both Pat Rothfuss and Chris Avellone, and then people are all "you devious bastards, way to keep it for the KS lull!!"

inXile, accidental geniuses?

hiver

You havent changed one bit from the NMA days.
A pretentious gassbag then, a pretentious gassbag now.

Nope, I haven't backed Torment
icon_e_sad.gif
But keep it slick - slick.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Brother None

I know a lot of people had been flipping out about MCA since day one, but personally, I wasn't one of them. I respect MCA, but as I stated (much) earlier in this thread, he's not irreplaceable. Also, he had prior commitments. I consider it a nice bonus that they managed to squeeze him in.

Pat Rothfuss came out of left field for me, but then I don't follow every Tweet/forum post as closely as some, so if there was buzz about him before his inclusion, I didn't notice it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I saw Colin on some youtube show where he asked Rothfuss to join the writing team. I didn't actually expect something to come from it. Also the show was otherwise a huge bore.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I would *assume* once the KS is over they will set up a forum for this (like the WL2 forums)?

(And hopefully with Backer tags/badges) so we can tell the difference between shitty trolls and backers).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I would *assume* once the KS is over they will set up a forum for this (like the WL2 forums)?

(And hopefully with Backer tags/badges) so we can tell the difference between shitty trolls and backers).

Half the backers are still going to be Biodrone-esque, if not full-blown Biodrones.

I say we get the Codex secretly named as the official T:ToN discussion forum, then add a link on the inXile website. People who aren't already registered here at the Codex will be automatically redirected to RPGWatch instead. :smug:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Half the backers are still going to be Biodrone-esque, if not full-blown Biodrones.

I say we get the Codex secretly named as the official T:ToN discussion forum, then add a link on the inXile website. People who aren't already registered here at the Codex will be automatically redirected to RPGWatch instead. :smug:

Sounds like a plan!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer

Probably not. There's a "Torment hangout" on the forums but Kevin's a little iffy on the idea of opening a full-blown forum without the capacity to engage in it and handle all its feedback to satisfactory extent (this has been a specific problem with WL2 forums). The UserVoice forums are comparatively much easier on the developer side of things to handle, even if they're less fun for users. Eventually we want to do both, but only at a stage where it "makes sense" so to speak.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom