Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good god. I leave for a couple hours and return to find that you've turned a perfectly good discussion of the virtues of phase based combat into another RTwP vs TB pissing match. :decline:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Did the aspect that you like actually take advantage of the combat system being RTwP? If the game were changed to turn-based while leaving most or all of the rest of the elements intact, would that improve or worsen the game, or change it at all?

Worsen. The basics of BG is using different spells and setups for different encounters, and they achieve making the greatest and most thought-out encounters feel special by having a lot of quote-unquote "trash" combat in between (and trash combat isn't bad in this sense). The amount of encounters or the creature diversity would be tedious as fuck in a turn-based game, where killing shit and finishing encounters take forever (see: Wizardry 8, a fucking fantastic game which is almost killed by the amount of tediousness through its slow-as-fuck encounter system).

Even better examples are the dungeon-crawlers Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale II, with a veritable FUCKLOAD of monsters. Yet it is all 'k, because combat can be resolved quickly, and even replaying the same tough encounter 10 times is a fairly manageable affair. And fuck people who say: "lololol I just used the same tactic for everything". Barring that this is not an attribute of the games being RTwP, I sincerely doubt anyone not cheesing the fuck out of the game were able to complete IWD using the same strategy ad nauseum considering how much different shit that games throws at you, except maybe towards the end (where I almost didn't even cast spells, IWD endgame sucks :( ).

Do I love well-made turn-based games the most? In theory, yes. Yet IE-combat is, for me, some of the most enjoyable RPG combat I've tried - and that's even considering the fact that I detest AD&D compared to many other P&P systems.

Using RTwP allowed the IE-games to have an insane number of encounters and diversity without falling into some traps that some otherwise excellent TB-games have done.

TL;DR: I like RTwP for insane combat galore, I like turn-based for focused experiences with a maximum encounter-density somewhat like ToEE or KotC.

Good god. I leave for a couple hours and return to find that you've turned a perfectly good discussion of the virtues of phase based combat into another RTwP vs TB pissing match. :decline:
to settle this discussion i think it is important we first ask ourselves: what is rpg

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yet IE-combat is, for me, some of the most enjoyable RPG combat I've tried - and that's even considering the fact that I detest AD&D compared to many other P&P systems.
How is that even related. IE combat is only as much like 2E on the to-hit rolls. The rest is just the same terminology. Compare a fireball in BG to a fireball in AD&D.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yet IE-combat is, for me, some of the most enjoyable RPG combat I've tried - and that's even considering the fact that I detest AD&D compared to many other P&P systems.
How is that even related. IE combat is only as much like 2E on the to-hit rolls. The rest is just the same terminology. Compare a fireball in BG to a fireball in AD&D.

To-hit rolls, arbitrary assets derived from attributes, arbitrary thief-abilities, some classes with huge import and complexity, some where you just click level-up and that's all there is to character management, arbitrary saving throw tables. BG/IWD is AD&D on plenty of fronts.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well, yeah, it's just like AD&D in all the fronts where it sucks. Just used the extreme thac0 example.

Why do you hate arbitrarity, though? I thought you were a d20/Pathfinder fan? :M

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, yeah, it's just like AD&D in all the fronts where it sucks. Just used the extreme thac0 example.

Why do you hate arbitrarity, though? I thought you were a d20/Pathfinder fan? :M

I'll bite, because I'm an idiot...

Fighters have a percentile strength on 18 (AND ONLY 18) because... HEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYY, WHY NOT?!?!? LOL

19 strength gives +3 to hit and +7 to damage because.... HEEEEEEEEEYYY WHY?!?!? LOL

That's what arbitrary means: There's no reason for any of this from any perspective.

Most decisions in Pathfinder were made in context. If you ask the question "why" to most things in AD&D, the answer is usually just... because. You ask the same question about an asset in Pathfinder, there will be actual reasons for things being the way they are, and decisions are made in context to make a coherent system (which shouldn't be necessary, systems should be coherent by default). It's still not a real "system" in the same sense as GURPS which is a system in the true sense of the word (because everything is derived from the same core mechanics and all assets tie into each other) but it's a far cry better than just an arbitrary collection of rules like AD&D.

AD&D = Collection of random rules.

Pathfinder = A system = A coherent set of rules that make up a unified whole, that ties into the same basic concepts.

GURPS Foreword said:
“System.” It really is. Most other RPGs started out as a simple set of rules, and then were patched and modified, ad infinitum. That makes them hard to play. GURPS, more than ever in the Fourth Edition, is a unified whole.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Kosmonaut 3 minutes ago
Does anybody knows if there are going to be possible to romance one of your companions in T:ToN? It would be nice if inXile could add as stretch goal the ability to do that.

:roll:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well I completely disagree that Pokemon has good combat. It has good character creation which is represented well in combat, but the actual combat is boring.
Is that due to the combat system, or is that due to the AI, or is it due to the encounter design? There are many factors in determining whether combat is "boring" or not.
It's due to the system. You can only perform one action per turn. You options are 1 of 4 attacks you have memorized, usually with one being obviously superior to the other 3, or switch combatants, and that's it.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obsidian has some lovely fans: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63262-torment-tides-of-numenera/page-13#entry1314391

I just had to log on and post regarding this.

Its beyond shameful. A bunch of dudes that worked on PST are making a new game that has absolutely nothing to do with any PST character, setting or story but they're using the name and reputation of a fourteen year old game to sell their product, because they didn't have the balls (or the faith in their project?) to sell it as something completely distinct.

I won't be buying it and I sincerely hope it fails.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Obsidian has some lovely fans: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63262-torment-tides-of-numenera/page-13#entry1314391

I just had to log on and post regarding this.

Its beyond shameful. A bunch of dudes that worked on PST are making a new game that has absolutely nothing to do with any PST character, setting or story but they're using the name and reputation of a fourteen year old game to sell their product, because they didn't have the balls (or the faith in their project?) to sell it as something completely distinct.

I won't be buying it and I sincerely hope it fails.
I love to see the crushed hopes and dreams of retards like this! :Schadenfreude: :mca:

Akarnir

Educated
Just a small question, Are they officially calling Torment : Tides of Numenera a sequel to Planescape : Torment ? Or Are they simply calling it a New Torment game? Or a ''spiritual successor''.

There's a distinction, as the first would be a dishonest statement, while the 2 other are correct.

Not that it really matters, but I see too much people claiming it's a scam because it's marketed as a sequel to torment.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Just a small question, Are they officially calling Torment : Tides of Numenera a sequel to Planescape : Torment ? Or Are they simply calling it a New Torment game? Or a ''spiritual successor''.

There's a distinction, as the first would be a dishonest statement, while the 2 other are correct.

I believe their preferred term is "thematic sequel".

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThematicSeries

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They want to create a thematically linked series, of which Tides of Numenera would be the 2nd. If that makes any sense to you.

Captain Shrek

Not that it really matters, but I see too much people claiming it's a scam because it's marketed as a sequel to torment.

Torment was a "deep story based game that takes into account philosophical quandaries surrounding the question of existence and gave you choices that were meaningful". This builds on that basic idea.

Snerf

Learned
Ziets and a Complete Book of Elves apology video.

Fargo ain't fucking around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom