Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

maverick

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
In strange and distant worlds, life flickers toward awareness even amid the most brutal landscapes. For instance: massive mountains of crystal heave from the land and pierce the sky under pale suns, their light refracting and bending around cunning spires never touched by human hands. The infants of this land are giants, vaguely humanoid crystalline monsters torn from the land itself and given shape and purpose by the elders, who share the light and heat from their ever-diminishing bodies, chipped and worn by age.

_MG_0143.jpg

Hummm... me likes crystal caves!

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Colin's Apology (Part 1)
Last, but most certainly not least: Upon reaching $2.5m, we will send out a special video from Colin. Those of you familiar with Colin’s very early work may recall that he wrote theComplete Book of Elves for 2nd Edition AD&D. You AD&D players may remember how dreadful this work was, making elves so incredibly powerful and unbalanced that all of our AD&D games were henceforth ruined until 3rd Edition D&D came to save us. (This is a slight overstatement. We could just pretend the book never existed, after all. That’s what I did…) Fortunately, Colin wrote that over 20 years ago and he’s learned much since then. =) Plus he’s the creative guy on Torment and Adam and I aren’t going to let him get too close to the gameplay systems. Just kidding. (Mostly. ;) )
But we’ve always felt that he owes us for polluting our campaigns with his bizarre passion for elves. Thankfully, Colin seems to have gotten through his elf-fetish years. But his penance isn’t yet complete. He has apologized before, but somehow I find it lacking. I don't know about you, but I want to see him say it. So as part of our update celebrating this Stretch Goal, Colin will apologize publicly for this sin of his youth through a special video.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:excellent:

Raapys

Arcane
Excited about Ziets joining the team too. There are going to be very many ruined reputations if Torment and PE both end up disappointing though.

I'm curious if they'll manage to release on time. Seems to me it's usually the publisher pushing the developers to finish up, for better or worse, and without said publisher one might be tempted to just 'do a little bit more' before releasing.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Excited about Ziets joining the team too. There are going to be very many ruined reputations if Torment and PE both end up disappointing though.

I'm curious if they'll manage to release on time. Seems to me it's usually the publisher pushing the developers to finish up, for better or worse, and without said publisher one might be tempted to just 'do a little bit more' before releasing.
Well in this case, they have a fixed amount of money to work on the game. Unless the devs want to work for free, there is a pretty hard deadline.

Raapys

Arcane
I guess. Let's hope that doesn't mean we'll end up with Troika-style releases.

Akarnir

Educated
One possible horrible turn of event would be if they went out of fund before finishing the game, or having a decent game.

That would leave 3 possibilities :

1. They release an incomplete game, either lacking in content or just completely shit. Consequence : They lose their reputation forever. The fact that they were crowdfunded and don't have anyone but themselves to blame... They lose their reputation in the community and in the industry as well.

2. They need to borrow money. And if the game doesn't sell well, they , especially fargo, can be in a lot of trouble : huge dept, sell house, ruined for life...

3. They sign a contract with a publisher to finish the game. This push the release date months forward, maybe for years as the publisher want them to practically restart from scratch, according to the suits vision of a good game. And of course, this would be a huge scandal, lots of drama everywhere and InXile's reputation ruined in the community.

The pressure is pretty big.

That's true for all these big Budget kickstarters who are particularly ambitious, and receive a lot of attention. And are also made using professional teams, that won't work overtime for free.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I guess. Let's hope that doesn't mean we'll end up with Troika-style releases.

Way to cover both your bases.

grdja

Augur
Reading the update and those location sketches, especially the first one. I think its safe to say that we will be visiting other worlds/places than just Earth. That crystal landscape is very explicit about multiple suns.

Btw, damn, when the hell will 1080p pre rendered 2D backgrounds appear as a stretch goal? 3 million? 3.5? While Uru and Myst 5 have shown that you can create fantastic and colorful places using 3D engine, lets be honest, engine they are using won't pull that off. Btw were 2D backgrounds stretch goal for P:E or were they decided on from the start?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Unlike Wasteland 2 and Plainshit: Eternity I'm not concerned about the timeline here because the content of Torment was all done in 11 months with its ready-made engine. They're giving themselves about 20.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Well I completely disagree that Pokemon has good combat. It has good character creation which is represented well in combat, but the actual combat is boring.
Is that due to the combat system, or is that due to the AI, or is it due to the encounter design? There are many factors in determining whether combat is "boring" or not.
It's due to the system. You can only perform one action per turn. You options are 1 of 4 attacks you have memorized, usually with one being obviously superior to the other 3, or switch combatants, and that's it.
You should try playing real people then ;) I did so a long time ago via some online client. There are quite a lot of tricks and special builds. Usually you have only one or two attacks memorized because you need the rest for CC or whatever weird meta-abilities your pokemon have.

It's not the system but the AI that is poor in Pokemon (... and MANY other games).

Raapys

Arcane
Unlike Wasteland 2 and Plainshit: Eternity I'm not concerned about the timeline here because the content of Torment was all done in 11 months with its ready-made engine. They're giving themselves about 20.
Aren't most of the crew busy until they've finished W2 though? I thought they'd be using many of the same people.

I read a numenera short story on the numenera fansite, it wasn't pretty I tell you. "Average" would be a bit of a compliment. I don't get why it is lauded as such a stretch goal. I wish they made more gameplay related stretchies.

(no, "25% more gameplay" doesn't count, that's unquantifiable l4l)

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I read a numenera short story on the numenera fansite, it wasn't pretty I tell you. "Average" would be a bit of a compliment. I don't get why it is lauded as such a stretch goal. I wish they made more gameplay related stretchies.

(no, "25% more gameplay" doesn't count, that's unquantifiable l4l)

Well, you've got new areas.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm disappointed you don't have a clever denigrating nick name for W2.

You should try playing real people then ;) I did so a long time ago via some online client. There are quite a lot of tricks and special builds. Usually you have only one or two attacks memorized because you need the rest for CC or whatever weird meta-abilities your pokemon have.

It's not the system but the AI that is poor in Pokemon (... and MANY other games).
"special builds"

Builds are not the combat system, and I already said pokemon has a good character system.

Which reminds me - has that oldfag wiki scavenger, whatever his name was, made a wiki for this game yet?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom