Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I would rather have the PC be of a specific gender, regardless of being a man or a woman. TNO being a man was quite defining of his character - more so than can be expressed in superficial <PC GENDER> tags in dialogue. Tons of small things. How companions addressed the PC and how the PC related to the denizens of the world and past events.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It was a tranny wasn't it?
Maybe. Maybe it was male. Maybe it was female. Maybe it was asexual non-gender. Maybe it was bi-gender. Maybe it switched between genders situationally or by choice. It's the Ninth World, the possibilities are pretty much endless!

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
https://torment.uservoice.com/forum...nces-especially-equal-choice-romances-availab

Romances, especially equal choice romances available for both genders

And what I mean by that is, story content-wise, to have the same amount of choices and same degree of depth for romanceable companions for female players as there will be for male players.

I was both surprised and dismayed to learn that gender customization wasn't included by default in Tides of Numernera. As moving as Planescape: Torment was, it would have connected all the more to the other half of players by adding content to flesh out a story that was equally valid for a female protagonist. Considering it is now more than 10 years later and the 21st century, when most RPG games that claim high customization/interactivity and "personal narrative" are providing both gender choices by default, I'm rather dismayed that Planscape: Torment's successor had still started off neglecting its many equally passionate female supporters, myself included.

Since Planescape: Torment contained some rather touching romantic relationships, I'm assuming Tides of Numenera will be the same. The only thing that worries me, judging by the lack of a female gender choice at the beginning, is that it will continue to skimp on content for the female protagonist, such as having romances. And romances are an integral part of the emotional connection with your NPCs, which provide the weight and meaning to a personal narrative in an otherwise virtual and meaningless world (just as relationships are the most deeply meaningful part of life, for most people at least).

So please, provide in-depth romances for your NPC companions. Provide choices for both gendered protagonists, and make sure there are at least the same number of choices and all have the same degree of depth and satisfying interactivity to them.

Thank you.
It's getting support pretty fast... Make yourself heard over there (if you DON'T want it).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It was only a matter of time. Now I can have something to rage about regarding this project, it didn't offer much in that regard. :troll:

Statik

Educated
https://torment.uservoice.com/forum...nces-especially-equal-choice-romances-availab

PLS HAVE WAIFUS AND HUSBANDOS THEY ARE FUNDAMENTAL CRPG ELEMENTS AND I CANNOT GET MY EMOTIONS MAJESTICALLY ENGAGED WITHOUT THEM.
It's getting support pretty fast... Make yourself heard over there (if you DON'T want it).

:flamesaw:

I was just coming to this thread to post that dumbfuckery. Why can't biodrones keep rolling in their mud over at BSN and leave the rest of the world alone? You can't even mention the mere thought of making a RPG these days without opening the floodgates for the waifu brigade. Have these people not heard of the concept of different audiences or do they just expect the whole industry to revolve around their dating sim obsession?

Fuck everything.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Flagged and passive-aggressive-negative-commented. It was inevitable that this crap would show up eventually.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
As the other said this isn't a Bioware dating sim.
If you want to play those then go and play them, but keep it out of a Torment game.

:salute:

grotsnik

Arcane
Starblaze said:
To the person who commented at the very bottom: How exactly is voice acting "directly tied to abysmal writing"?? Doesn't the writing always have to come first? Whether or not you have good writing is almost certainly ensured for this game, considering the people working on it. I think the only question here is whether you will get good voice acting. And when you do, it can truly bring the character alive. Good voice acting will not only bring a character alive, it will present different dimensions to the character and realize him or her in ways you haven't even imagined. A good picture is worth a thousand words---a living, breathing, TALKING picture is priceless. (Which is why I prefer Virtual Reality > Well animated 3D > isometric only, but let's not go into that debate here.)

Either there's some good honest trolling going on or somebody really is backing the wrong games.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good to see even if we are a minority, we are still numerous enough to boycott dumb ideas by flagging them to the ground.

:mob:

Koschey

Arcane
https://torment.uservoice.com/forum...e-philosophy-renowned-philosopher-as-consulta

Oli Baba said:
What I loved most about PS:T, KotoR or MotB was that they made me think. Not only think to solve a situation. Not only think about the plot. But think about life and so many various approaches to live it.
While the writers seem very adept at that, a genuine philosopher would surely bring many new sparks to the dev team. Ideally, one that has been working on and publishing about the game's central question as his lifework.

Colin McComb said:
Did I mention I have a degree in philosophy and a minor in theology?

:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom