Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zeriel

Arcane
PS:T was fairly moddable once Weidu arrived, but no one ever bothered.

Judging from much in the Comments section this game will have additional 'playerbases' compared to PS:T. It's not just The Codex funding it, nor all people who have played the original. Guess it depends on if they actually give any toon customization options and open the door. But, if nothing else, this game does have a female PC option. I think I'll stick with my assumption.

My experience with games like BG2 and PS:T is that before area-modding is fairly advanced (assuming modding will be like Infinity Engine where we basically have to reverse-engineer everything and hence the only thing that is easily moddable is dialogue and scripts), the amount of modding heavily depends on the game. BG2 had lots of areas with varying amounts of content to slot things in, and the quality level of the original content was low enough that some fan-based companion fit in decently without being an eyesore. With a game like the original PS:T where the quality level is so far above the average modder + the fact it felt very complete as a game already (this is a major aspect of modding--if a game feels complete and satisfying, not a lot of modding happens), there just wasn't much need at all to mod. Plus, I think when a game is super satisfying, people have this sense of backlash for most mods, kind of "don't ruin this perfect game with your trash".

If Numenera has lots of open areas with empty spaces to slot in content to flesh things out (i.e badly designed areas, so not something we should hope for), or, god forbid, fullly 3D levels, I could see modding being a bigger deal. It definitely depends on how much they expose the engine, though. Despite being largely a reverse-engineer sort of modding, the Infinity Engine was still fairly easy to mess with in terms of the .2DA's, dialogue files, scripts, et cetera, it was really only hard-coded combat and areas that were really hard to mod. For all we know, Numenera could make the dialogues and scripts hard to get at.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The fuck is a toon. Why are people using dumbshit MMO terms for a singleplayer game, or for anything really?

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
The fuck is a toon. Why are people using dumbshit MMO terms for a singleplayer game, or for anything really?
Who the fuck uses "toon" anywhere.

falsches_spiel_mit_roger_rabbit_cover.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's high-larious how you guize are so insecure you feel it necessary to censor ideas you disagree with. :smug:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's high-larious how you guize are so insecure you feel it necessary to censor ideas you disagree with. :smug:

Insecure? No, because we know that inXile won't abide by those ideas in any case.

We're doing it because we're assholes and we want to humiliate the people who post such ideas. :smug:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Why would anyone want to hear her squeaky voice...Also whoever wrote Veronica in FNV should have been fucking hanged. I wonder if Roguey knows who's responsible...

Multi-headed Cow

That's not including their Paypal pledges either, right?
Correct. That's just the listed Kickstarter total. There's also 100k going to be added by Brian Fargo himself (Which will go toward stretch goals but isn't going through Kickstarter) and probably another 100k from an anonymous shady source, plus whatever they get through Paypal.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Why would anyone want to hear her squeaky voice..

I don't know man. I DONT KNOW. Even for the Spaceventure Kickstarter (so completely unrelated to the hardcore RPG circles miss Day frequents) there were some braindeads asking for her to do voice acting. I don't know...

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I can't believe how much money is being pledged and how fast it gathered momentum.

Kickstarter fatigue my arse.

Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo
We are closing in on 2.1 million... another strong day. I guess you all really do want a single player game.

:troll:

This is a potshot at LB though so he can't really try to take the high ground now.

I just hope they don't start acting unprofessional about the situation, and can keep it as a healthy competitiveness. Competition makes better games.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
? We've done a new companion and two new areas so far, with a second companion and a third area that will become a continuous stretch goal coming up. Sure, there's also general "more writing", but not sure why you're ignoring the specific additions cited. There's some other specific stuff we'll cite in future stretch goals too, though classes are obviously not going to be stretch goals for us.

Can you even hint if there will be a 2D stretch goal? Even a "it´s a remote possibility" would satisfy me. After watching that Shadowrun video i can´t stomach that Wasteland 2 3d look anymore.
I hope there won't be one. Doing it would mean that they throw away all the stuff that they already have done for WL2 and start from scratch just to satisfy some crybabies that can't live without 2D graphics. I admit that SR is motherfucking fantastic, but they planned it that way from the very start, they already had released a game using that same engine before launching the SR KS (Crimson: Steam Pirates http://harebrained-schemes.com/crimson/ on November 18, 2011 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungie#Independent_company) and they were in the middle of the development cycle of another one ( Strikefleet Omega http://harebrained-schemes.com/strikefleet/ ). The engine is MOAI ( http://harebrained-schemes.com/post/update-4-wheres-the-linux-love/ , http://getmoai.com/blog/shadowrun-returns-on-kickstarter.html ) and you can see that it has been already used in Crimson and Strikefleet Omega ( http://getmoai.com/made-with-moai.html ). So, you see, the awesomenes that SR is shaping up to be is a result of sticking with the right engine for multiple projects and learning how to use it to its fullest extent. What you people asking for 2D and handpainted backgrounds would mean is that inXile throw away a large chunk of what they already developed for WL2 and start almost from scratch. That's silly, if not plain stupid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom