Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

uaciaut

Augur
Why would anyone want to hear her squeaky voice...Also whoever wrote Veronica in FNV should have been fucking hanged. I wonder if Roguey knows who's responsible...

I actually liked her lines when you first go to the BoS bunker for the first time with her. Also didn't find her voice that annoying tbh. Raul4life tho

Zeriel

Arcane
If we're going to argue against "too much work" as a merit, why even bother to do a Torment game at all? A game of Torment's order is a fucking ton of work already, might as well do it right, and I get the feeling they _do_ want to do it right. A half-assed ugly 3D shovelware appearance on top of a beautifully written RPG wouldn't stop me from playing it, but it would be a goddamn crying shame, especially with the kind of support they're getting. For some people (obviously myself included), the 2D art-style of Torment and the Infinity Engine games is a huge part of what made them work. I'm not pledging until I see the 2D stretchgoal--I'm fucking happy the project is doing so well, but until they demonstrate that they want to live up to the previous title, I'm okay with "wait to buy". The moment that stretchgoal goes in, my wallet is open.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If we're going to argue against "too much work" as a merit, why even bother to do a Torment game at all? A game of Torment's order is a fucking ton of work already, might as well do it right, and I get the feeling they _do_ want to do it right. A half-assed ugly 3D shovelware appearance on top of a beautifully written RPG wouldn't stop me from playing it, but it would be a goddamn crying shame, especially with the kind of support they're getting. For some people (obviously myself included), the 2D art-style of Torment and the Infinity Engine games is a huge part of what made them work. I'm not pledging until I see the 2D stretchgoal--I'm fucking happy the project is doing so well, but until they demonstrate that they want to live up to the previous title, I'm okay with "wait to buy". The moment that stretchgoal goes in, my wallet is open.
Then don't pledge. Noone's putting a gun to your head to pledge.

Koschey

Arcane
? We've done a new companion and two new areas so far, with a second companion and a third area that will become a continuous stretch goal coming up. Sure, there's also general "more writing", but not sure why you're ignoring the specific additions cited. There's some other specific stuff we'll cite in future stretch goals too, though classes are obviously not going to be stretch goals for us.

Can you even hint if there will be a 2D stretch goal? Even a "it´s a remote possibility" would satisfy me. After watching that Shadowrun video i can´t stomach that Wasteland 2 3d look anymore.
I hope there won't be one. Doing it would mean that they throw away all the stuff that they already have done for WL2 and start from scratch just to satisfy some crybabies that can't live without 2D graphics. I admit that SR is motherfucking fantastic, but they planned it that way from the very start, they already had released a game using that same engine before launching the SR KS (Crimson: Steam Pirates http://harebrained-schemes.com/crimson/ on November 18, 2011 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungie#Independent_company) and they were in the middle of the development cycle of another one ( Strikefleet Omega http://harebrained-schemes.com/strikefleet/ ). The engine is MOAI ( http://harebrained-schemes.com/post/update-4-wheres-the-linux-love/ , http://getmoai.com/blog/shadowrun-returns-on-kickstarter.html ) and you can see that it has been already used in Crimson and Strikefleet Omega ( http://getmoai.com/made-with-moai.html ). So, you see, the awesomenes that SR is shaping up to be is a result of sticking with the right engine for multiple projects and learning how to use it to its fullest extent. What you people asking for 2D and handpainted backgrounds would mean is that inXile throw away a large chunk of what they already developed for WL2 and start almost from scratch. That's silly, if not plain stupid.

InXile and Obsidian often help each other out, sharing feedback, experiences and development tools.

PE, also developed in Unity like W2, utilizes pre-rendered 3D backgrounds that are later touched up.

Do the math yourself.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane

Add Romance options for Companions

This is a great side-plot to an RPG, and although its not everyone's cup of tea, these options are very popular with a large group of gamers. Tasteful romance plots for all genders and orientations both aid immersion and contribute to the diversity of the game.

If you don't want romance, don't choose romance options. How is content you'll never read if you don't want to "absolutely the worst"? Nobody wants non-romantic interaction to be skimped on. And romance is very very relevant to "what does one life matter"?

@Snowden - there's no reason bisexuality shouldn't be standard in Numenera; it's a world chock full of such extreme weirdness that something as mundane as same-sex relationships generally shouldn't raise an eyebrow. And if you don't pursue a relationship with a particular NPC, what difference does their orientation make to you? What possible advantage is there to disabling half the romance options on any given playthrough? The work required to adapt a romance to work with either gender is absolutely negligible compared to writing separate romances for two difference characters, let alone creating an entirely new character for the second romance.

:hero:

Multi-headed Cow

To be fair, the one romance in an RPG I actually liked was Annah.

Oh, Annah. :love:

Zeriel

Arcane
Annah wasn't really typical of what we now call "romances" in RPGs. I suppose it was more typical of what the word actually means. These days "romance" in RPGs is a euphemism for "sex". I'd agree that actual romantic writing can be pretty interesting, but since that's not really what people want/ask for, I can kind of see the boiling hatred people have for them.

Statik

Educated
To be fair, the one romance in an RPG I actually liked was Annah.

Oh, Annah. :love:
I liked the romances in PST too, but they were neither overblown dating minigames nor shoehorned pc diversity circlejerks, which is what these people are asking for.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
There was more than one "romance" in PST? I only know about that kiss with Annah. Fall From Grace basically cockblocks you, or did I miss something?

Zeriel

Arcane
There was more than one "romance" in PST? I only know about that kiss with Annah. Fall From Grace basically cockblocks you, or did I miss something?

People seem to think "not interested, sorry" and "LOL U DIED FROM TRYING TO KISS ME" are a romance, apparently. Never understood the obsession with FFG, she seemed pretty bland as a character.

skuphundaku

Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
? We've done a new companion and two new areas so far, with a second companion and a third area that will become a continuous stretch goal coming up. Sure, there's also general "more writing", but not sure why you're ignoring the specific additions cited. There's some other specific stuff we'll cite in future stretch goals too, though classes are obviously not going to be stretch goals for us.

Can you even hint if there will be a 2D stretch goal? Even a "it´s a remote possibility" would satisfy me. After watching that Shadowrun video i can´t stomach that Wasteland 2 3d look anymore.
I hope there won't be one. Doing it would mean that they throw away all the stuff that they already have done for WL2 and start from scratch just to satisfy some crybabies that can't live without 2D graphics. I admit that SR is motherfucking fantastic, but they planned it that way from the very start, they already had released a game using that same engine before launching the SR KS (Crimson: Steam Pirates http://harebrained-schemes.com/crimson/ on November 18, 2011 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungie#Independent_company) and they were in the middle of the development cycle of another one ( Strikefleet Omega http://harebrained-schemes.com/strikefleet/ ). The engine is MOAI ( http://harebrained-schemes.com/post/update-4-wheres-the-linux-love/ , http://getmoai.com/blog/shadowrun-returns-on-kickstarter.html ) and you can see that it has been already used in Crimson and Strikefleet Omega ( http://getmoai.com/made-with-moai.html ). So, you see, the awesomenes that SR is shaping up to be is a result of sticking with the right engine for multiple projects and learning how to use it to its fullest extent. What you people asking for 2D and handpainted backgrounds would mean is that inXile throw away a large chunk of what they already developed for WL2 and start almost from scratch. That's silly, if not plain stupid.

InXile and Obsidian often help each other out, sharing feedback, experiences and development tools.

PE, also developed in Unity like W2, utilizes pre-rendered 3D backgrounds that are later touched up.

Do the math yourself.
I've done the math and that's how I came to the conclusion that 2D is a bad idea. What sounds more likely/easier to you:
1. inXile keeps going with the exact setup they already have from WL2 and hit the ground running and are able to invest all their time and effort into making Torment the best game it can be
or
2. inXile first dicks around getting P:E's dev setup from Obsidian, then they get around to get familiarized with it and then they create the actual Torment content, which is more limited because of all the time wasted getting up to speed with Obsidian's setup?
This whole "2D at the expense of everything" is just as shortsighted as the "TB everywhere despite the consequences".

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
They should do a single, oft-hinted at in development line of romance where it blows up in the PCs face no matter what, before it goes anywhere - multiple outcomes, but all of them denying 'ye olde happy ending'. Just will not end well.

Basically, an utter cock-tease to snub their noses at this 'debate'.

mondblut

Arcane
Annah wasn't really typical of what we now call "romances" in RPGs. I suppose it was more typical of what the word actually means. These days "romance" in RPGs is a euphemism for "sex". I'd agree that actual romantic writing can be pretty interesting, but since that's not really what people want/ask for, I can kind of see the boiling hatred people have for them.

Bullshit. The "romances" biodrones want are all the cuddling and holding hands crap. The "relationships", lol.

Fallout, JA2, Arcanum etc all had sex (with a sheep even), and all of us were happy. This kind of "romances" is perfectly welcome to stay. Brothels and sex card collecting are for real men, "relashonships" are for fat ugly girls.

skuphundaku

Patron
They should do a single, oft-hinted at in development line of romance where it blows up in the PCs face no matter what, before it goes anywhere - multiple outcomes, but all of them denying 'ye olde happy ending'. Just will not end well.

Basically, an utter cock-tease to snub their noses at this 'debate'.
That's just as retarded as what the waifu crowd are clamoring for. It's retarded because there are no consequences for your choices... it's plain old Bioware C&C. So Bioware C&C is bad, but when we do it to satisfy our pettiness it's all good? Fuck that shit! Grow up!

Zeriel

Arcane

Do the math yourself.
I've done the math and that's how I came to the conclusion that 2D is a bad idea. What sounds more likely/easier to you:
1. inXile keeps going with the exact setup they already have from WL2 and hit the ground running and are able to invest all their time and effort into making Torment the best game it can be
or
2. inXile first dicks around getting P:E's dev setup from Obsidian, then they get around to get familiarized with it and then they create the actual Torment content, which is more limited because of all the time wasted getting up to speed with Obsidian's setup?
This whole "2D at the expense of everything" is just as shortsighted as the "TB everywhere despite the consequences".

It's just a massive difference of opinion. To some people, "no 2D" is not a minor detail, it's like making a Torment sequel with god-awful writing. I understand that's not the case for you, and certainly there's some areas where this argument just doesn't matter (we don't give a fuck if people want full voice-overs), but when you're talking about something that was a key part of the original game, I think people have a right to desire it again.

Statik

Educated
People seem to think "not interested, sorry" and "LOL U DIED FROM TRYING TO KISS ME" are a romance, apparently. Never understood the obsession with FFG, she seemed pretty bland as a character.
I don't know about you, guys, but I'd sure like it if the only romance option in Numenera was something along the lines of "not interested, sorry" and "LOL U DIED FROM TRYING TO KISS ME". Just imagine the rivers of butthurt.

:smug:

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
That's just as retarded as what the waifu crowd are clamoring for. It's retarded because there are no consequences for your choices... it's plain old Bioware C&C. So Bioware C&C is bad, but when we do it to satisfy our pettiness it's all good? Fuck that shit! Grow up!

Did you miss 'multiple outcomes'? There are more ways to sling it than 'win or lose', if you care to use your brain.

Zeriel

Arcane
I don't know about you, guys, but I'd sure like it if the only romance option in Numenera was something along the lines of "not interested, sorry" and "LOL U DIED FROM TRYING TO KISS ME". Just imagine the rivers of butthurt.

They had it in Mass Effect 2! If only the your-brain-explodes-from-the-OH-GOD Samara romance had been the only one in the game.

Statik

Educated

They had it in Mass Effect 2! If only the your-brain-explodes-from-the-OH-GOD Samara romance had been the only one in the game.
Then BSN would have exploded and imploded at the same time and the world would have been a better place.

skuphundaku

Patron

Do the math yourself.
or

It's just a massive difference of opinion. To some people, "no 2D" is not a minor detail, it's like making a Torment sequel with god-awful writing. I understand that's not the case for you, and certainly there's some areas where this argument just doesn't matter (we don't give a fuck if people want full voice-overs), but when you're talking about something that was a key part of the original game, I think people have a right to desire it again.
You're conflating the weirdness that the PS:T locations had, which is what impressed most people and, most likely, you as well, with the fact that that weird landscape was 2D. As if that couldn't be done in 3D. Don't bother with the tired old argument that you couldn't do that in 3D. It can't be done until it's done the first time. You're assuming that they can't pull it of in 3D, but that's just an assumption.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Wasn't PS:T a story based on romance ? :pete:

Ah, technically you could add Deionarra as a "romance" too. Damn, now I want to play that game again. :/

The whole game and situation in PS:T is because TNO's relationship to Deionarra , PS:T is basically a game about a love story that went wrong.

I disagree, Deionarra played a pretty big role in the eventual success of the incarnation we are playing, but it for sure wasn't the main one. She is just another piece of preparation the practical incarnation put in action...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom