Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
As usual, Shrek is wrong any way you slice it; sexual orientation governs not only the act of coitus, but also romantic love. Straight men don't typically fall in love with other men, for example, unless you count rare cases such as Roguey's yearning for and complete willingness to surrender his body to Josh Sawyer.

There's a difference between platonic love, parental love, familial love, and romantic love, unless you live in West Virginia I suppose.

And now I'm discussing romantic love in a Codex thread. Thanks, Shrek.

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
The most dangerous of those people are the Bioware rejects - while they correctly understand that Bioware has left them behind with their latest offerings, they mistakenly believe that they are "hard core", keeping the tradition of cRPGs alive in the face of decline, yearning for the good old days of ME1.

While it's also partly the fault of the people that the industry made the modern games it did anyway, the industry didn't help anything raising up a generation that did not have much quality beyond the sad, depraved Ass Effect level. This monstrous recipe has multiple ingredients.

It already happens when peeps go back to play the older games, and will happen more with these new games coming out: some, at least, will see the light and convert, after playing it. It might even take a while. Maybe they ragequit, but touch it again 5 years later realizing what a dipshit they were.

Not the majority, but hey, silver lining.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Bah. "Teh ghey" is not the problem with romances, although it's lately become the edgy thing to say. The problem is the fanbase, that has latched onto the wish fulfilment aspect of video games to the detriment of everything else. This has several effects chief of the being the fact that even hinting at some kind of emotional bonds in game tends to open the flood gates of BSN denizens clamouring for bigger focus on their waifus. This goes in hand with a lot of marginalized groups demanding fair representation, bringing even more resources to what once was a simple game mechanic, just of of many in the bag of tricks of a successful game developer.
But the point is the romances (regardless of orientation) are not the problem - as always the people are. It's the people who have poisoned the well.

I agree with the sentiment. I don't mind romances in principle; I think they have a place in video game stories. If Torment will or won't have romances I won't care either way. I guess it's not surprising the aversion to these type of subplots that RPG fans show considering BioWare's active fanbase focuses on them to the exclusion of all else.

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I agree with the sentiment. I don't mind romances in principle; I think they have a place in video game stories. If Torment will or won't have romances I won't care either way. I guess it's not surprising the aversion to these type of subplots that RPG fans show considering BioWare's active fanbase focuses on them to the exclusion of all else.

Yup, it's an unhealed wound thanks to them, basically.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Actually, with the dough they are making they should have some voice acting, for join able NPCs at least, and main game npcs and enemies/allies. Just recall how amazing Irenicus sounded and how we all still recall him as one of the most memorable villains in rpgs, even though he was just a sprite. It was the voice acting that brought him to life.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Actually full VO is BAD. Because that means your dialogues are LOCKED and you cannot go back and edit them later.

That's the reason Eternity is not also having full VO (and because the cost is WAY too expensive).

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, we're not doing full VO, due to both cost and restrictive reasons. Building out WL2's reactivity on and on worked well for the team, so plan is to go back to that and make the writing huge and dense. Might add some partial VO later in the process.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Weren't there some adventure games that wasted money on useless stuff like this as well? But if I understood correctly not all pieces will be recorded with the orchestra?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I suspect that renting the services of an orchestra isn't as expensive as we might imagine.

As usual, Shrek is wrong any way you slice it; sexual orientation governs not only the act of coitus, but also romantic love. Straight men don't typically fall in love with other men, for example, unless you count rare cases such as Roguey's yearning for and complete willingness to surrender his body to Josh Sawyer.

Roguey is a woman, I think

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
But, if nothing else, this game does have a female PC option. I think I'll stick with my assumption.
I think you mean it has a male PC option. It seems the original default was female.
Haha, I should really clarify I was kidding around with that. You guys can go back to speculating on what we would've done if we'd only been able to do one gender.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom