Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

jewboy

Arbiter
Is the Bard's Tale suggestion some kind of joke that I'm not getting? inXile already did a Bard's Tale and it sucked. It's probably not a good idea for him to even mention it. You may as well suggest Stonekeep. If Wasteland 2 turns out well he should just do a completely new game that doesn't depend on anything else. This whole stupid idea that every game needs to be either a sequel or based on some game system or setting needs to die. With kickstarter you don't need to do stuff like that. I think a time travel RPG is a decent idea. I'm a sucker for time travel stories, although I'm sick of the glut of many-worlds time travel stories we have been getting lately.

jewboy

Arbiter
Of course they could do it, but it would be idiotic. Only the 3 people who liked the earlier one will back it and that will only fund a few hours of development time. OTOH, maybe that will be enough.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Really not trying to be edgy here, but isn't it a bit too early talking about a third game/IP when not a single one is released yet?
I think most people are just wish casting/musing about games they'd like to see.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Perhaps they could do a Bard's Tale themed rogue-like. I never played any of the series, but some form of rogue-like that is complex and unforgiving would be a sexy addition to all of these other games.

Rake

Arcane
Well, if it's about games we would like to see(either by Obsidian or inXile):
A time-travel RPG
A Sci-fi rpg
Wild West RPG
Fantasy not based in middle age Europe( they could be inspired from Ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, Aztecs, Japan/China etc)
Modern day mystery-horror RPG (think WoD)

Cyberpunk i want only from Harebrained from now on. I hope they keep making Shadowrun games.

Kirtai

Augur
I would love a time travel game.

Hmm, I should look out my Lords of Time disk.

Akarnir

Educated
I would love to see more historical, low fantasy RPGs.

That and a Science Fiction RPG taking place only a few decades from now, in a time where we start to build Space station and colony on nearby planet. Something that would be realistic and believable.
A Cowboy Bebop RPG.

Kirtai

Augur
Speaking of sci-fi I'd love to see an rpg based on something like Eclipse Phase. Though without that heinous crime they call character generation.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Guise, can someone tell me why getting Guido Henkel onboard for Torment 2 is considered a bad idea? It's his frigging face on the PS:T box. Also this:

Henkel said that it was his main goal to prevent the game from being "crippled" before leaving Interplay when the game reached beta status. He also made the claim that his overall influence on the game was greater than that of Chris Avellone, Eric Campanella, or Dave Maldonaldo, but since a producer often has to make unpopular decisions his role was later downplayed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape:_Torment

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of course they could do it, but it would be idiotic. Only the 3 people who liked the earlier one will back it and that will only fund a few hours of development time. OTOH, maybe that will be enough.

Um, you do realize the Bard's Tale we're talking about here is Interplay's famous series of blobbers from the 1980s?

Bard's Tale, not The Bard's Tale.

kaizoku

Arcane
Maybe this has already been discussed here, but with this thread and the news entries, there are more than 200 pages of comments.
Furthermore I caught an eye infection which prevents me from spending much time on the computer... ideally I shouldn't spend any time at all on the computer (or tv, thought that one is easy).

Maybe I'm getting my facts wrong, but I thought it was MCA that did the writing for PS:T dialogs and story.
And Guido lead the project, claiming that "his overall influence on the game was greater than that of Chris Avellone, Eric Campanella, or Dave Maldonaldo, but since a producer often has to make unpopular decisions his role was later downplayed." -- well... whatever this means in terms of final game... maybe game atmosphere and quests.

Colin and Monte can put up a setting. But it seems to me that from a setting to a game, there's still a lot to go.
MCA did put his faith on Colin...
But it still looks the outcome of this game will be a gamble. Quite more than other KS.

So why are you, codexer, so convinced that this will be a game capable of standing against the original PST?

On another note,
- Guido wasn't mentioned once... if there were doubts, there sure is some bad blood there
- MCA declined the opportunity for him to make a new Torment game. Did he felt pressured by his own past work?

Raapys

Arcane
I'm hardly convinced it'll be able to equal PS:Torment. But on the other hand, I can't recall ever hearing about an RPG having this much focus on writing. So who knows?

hiver

So why are you, codexer, so convinced that this will be a game capable of standing against the original PST?
Because belief can move the planes and break cages. Because i dreamed a squirrel.

- MCA declined the opportunity for him to make a new Torment game. Did he felt pressured by his own past work?
I think its most likely down to him having done his Torment as he wanted to.
I wouldn't mind seeing him do a Meres of his own though, if he changes his mind and PE development allows it.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Brian Fargo 8 minutes ago
If I could bring back any cancelled game.hmmmmm. I would probably say Meantime. It was a time traveling RPG that we had set up to do after Wasteland. The reactivity made my brain hurt.
Sounds intriguing and it has a lot of potential.

Brother None, is this a hint? :P

Not really.

Tim Cain discussed Meantime back in this GDC conference. It was the first draft of GURPS. You can read its first drunk draft here.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Brian Fargo 8 minutes ago
If I could bring back any cancelled game.hmmmmm. I would probably say Meantime. It was a time traveling RPG that we had set up to do after Wasteland. The reactivity made my brain hurt.
Sounds intriguing and it has a lot of potential.

Brother None, is this a hint? :P

Not really.

Tim Cain discussed Meantime back in this GDC conference. It was the first draft of GURPS. You can read its first drunk draft here.
Any paypal numbers?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom