Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Yes. IIRC he said he will be updating every day until the KS ends.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I thought it was pretty cool.

It is indeed ! I don't get why kicktraq is not trying to make a similar projection instead of their dumb trend.
Because kicktraq isn't really statistics, just raw numbers. With all their data at this point they could do some simple regression analyses and correlations to predict with pretty decent accuracy where a campaign was going to end up after 24 hours, but alas they do not seem to have the inclination/knowledge.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Healthy competition is a good thing. And they dont really compete one against another at all. One if Turn Based post apocalyptic setting, another a RtwP fantasy setting. Now Torment goes for the story centric game model with quite possibly its own take on combat.
Its more like they are covering different angles of the Great cRPG Wheel of Awesomeness.

And they are not online multiplayer, so they don't have to compete for playerbase.

Zeriel

Arcane
And the actual process isn't really very different.

It's more like:

3D:

1. Create 3D scene in motherfucking hi-res.
2. Render it offline with the latest next-gen renderer to make it as shiny as possible.
3. Take all your assets and run them through a converter to make them less expensive to render in real-time.

2D:

1 and 2, then
3. Touch things up for a few minutes, then bake.

Either way, making good-looking 3D assets is basically identical, anything that is significantly cheaper is just shittier quality, not a vastly different production pipeline.
Until this post, I thought I was arguing with a rational, informed being, but I see that you're either irrational, completely ignorant, or a moron.

Aka "your refusal to agree with me has hurt my feelings, I'm now going to curl up into a ball and call you names!". Talk about irrational! Oh, irony. You never get old.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Torment owes its success mainly to the emails sent out to all Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity backers asking them to back it.

PE sent mails to their backers, recommending they back torment? Why is that? I mean their games are pretty much direct competitors.

Yes, they're such competitors that Obsidian and inXile are sharing all of their documentation and engine code.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's a great chart. Exactly what I've been hoping for since the KS started. I hope whoever did it updates it each day. It's interesting how the slopes in the middle are all so similar and how the initial die down seems to always happen at the same time. It would be great if this reached 5 million, but I'll be happy if it at least matches P:E.

It's most likely automated, and is updated at least every 7h (1% of compaign total duration)

jewboy

Arbiter
Maybe Brother None could get a link to that chart put up on the kickstarter page or the Torment website. After getting permission from the guy who did it of course.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
And the actual process isn't really very different.

It's more like:

3D:

1. Create 3D scene in motherfucking hi-res.
2. Render it offline with the latest next-gen renderer to make it as shiny as possible.
3. Take all your assets and run them through a converter to make them less expensive to render in real-time.

2D:

1 and 2, then
3. Touch things up for a few minutes, then bake.

Either way, making good-looking 3D assets is basically identical, anything that is significantly cheaper is just shittier quality, not a vastly different production pipeline.
Until this post, I thought I was arguing with a rational, informed being, but I see that you're either irrational, completely ignorant, or a moron.

Aka "your refusal to agree with me has hurt my feelings, I'm now going to curl up into a ball and call you names!". Talk about irrational! Oh, irony. You never get old.
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

Diablo169

Arcane
I keep thinking InXile and Obsidian should just move into the same offices and put up a giant sign saying "Intaplay" Thus you avoid legal action and piss off the Caen brothers while creating a CRPG love-in of epic proportions.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I keep think InXile and Obsidian should just move into the same offices and put up a giant sign saying "Intaplay" Thus you avoid legal action and piss off the Caen brothers while creating a CRPG love-in of epic proportions.

No. Having them separate, BUT cooperating is a good thing. For us.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Someone mentioned earlier, maybe tuluse, that PE will have formations or stances or something of that ilk. Did I misread? If not, can you link me to the source and some expanded details? I'm mighty curious, thanks!
Formations were mentioned in one of the kickstarter updates. They haven't given much information about them since then, and it was just a casual mention.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/310512

Roguey is the best person to ask for more information.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Oh, so they're cooperating then.

I'm just asking questions here y'know.

It wouldn't make any sense to view them as competitors. These companies are basically dependent on each other's success right now to even establish the kind of market they're interested in. There would have to be an actual market before these companies would be able to start competing. Kickstarter is basically an attempt to solve the problem that demand for these games is higher than the supply of them, but not high enough to fund the games (and thus meet the demands necessary to start a stable market) through traditional means. In fact, they probably aren't even competing in the sense that they're taking customers from each other - I'll bet that a good percentage of the people who donate to these kinds of games donate to all of them, and those that don't have specific interests only in the game they pledged to.

Maybe if Kickstarter becomes a long-term, viable business model or publishers become interested in and see profitable opportunities in medium-sized teams that market to a very specific target audience, these kind of companies can start competing. Until then, they're attempting, together, to arrive at a situation where that can happen.

Though, even if such a market should arise, it's more plausible than not that these Big Ones (like InXile and Obsidian) will keep sharing and co-operating to maintain their dominant position.

Arkeus

Arcane
Torment owes its success mainly to the emails sent out to all Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity backers asking them to back it. That's a mailing list of tens of thousands of backers who have already shown a willingless to pledge to CRPG Kickstarters. All it takes is a percentage of them to give you that meteoric beginning.

Of course, if the pitch wasn't top notch, it wouldn't have worked half as well as it did.
I don't think i received any such mail. Or do you mean the latest Eternity update which talked a bit about it?

Also folks, there is also the fact that there was a Eternity backing level where you got Wastelands 2, and there is talk in the main page of TtoN of a special reward for backers of Wastelands and Eternity.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think i received any such mail. Or do you mean the latest Eternity update which talked a bit about it?

The latest update, which you should have received by email unless you've disabled Kickstarter update email notifications.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
Via the Torment comment section:

Brian Fargo 8 minutes ago
I just noticed the irony of my photo I'm using here. This was taken in Shanghai for when I keynoted the GDC in 2011 about the death of single player RPGs. My speech was about Bard's Tale, Wasteland etc. and how there appeared to be no obvious future for getting those kind of games ever made again. I sure showed me!

heh

If I could bring back any cancelled game.hmmmmm. I would probably say Meantime. It was a time traveling RPG that we had set up to do after Wasteland. The reactivity made my brain hurt.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Via the Torment comment section:

I just noticed the irony of my photo I'm using here. This was taken in Shanghai for when I keynoted the GDC in 2011 about the death of single player RPGs. My speech was about Bard's Tale, Wasteland etc. and how there appeared to be no obvious future for getting those kind of games ever made again. I sure showed me!

heh

If I could bring back any cancelled game.hmmmmm. I would probably say Meantime. It was a time traveling RPG that we had set up to do after Wasteland. The reactivity made my brain hurt.

Time Travel RPG? I would kill - like, literally murder people - for an Infinite Worlds cRPG!

Jaesun: Do you know if the speech can be found anywhere? It would be an interesting watch I bet!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
Christopher Roberts 2 minutes ago
@High Admiral Tech: Yep! We actually talk off line - I've known Brian (and a few other people that have launched Kickstarters) for a long time.
I'm going to plug Numenera and Shroud next week to the Star Citizen community, in case a few people have been hiding under a rock :) !
For me there isn't the competition between the developers launching crowd funding campaigns. I want to see everyone do well as I really think its changing the game development process for the better, not just for a developer that used to be hand to mouth from project to project funded by the major publishers but also for the gamers who get to be part of the conversation and see the process of game development.
I would rather listen to a real gamer that is a backer than a publishing executive any day of the week.
Competition is with the big publishers - us little guys need to stick together!

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
That's nice of him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom