Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Rake

Arcane
Brian Fargo 8 minutes ago
If I could bring back any cancelled game.hmmmmm. I would probably say Meantime. It was a time traveling RPG that we had set up to do after Wasteland. The reactivity made my brain hurt.
Sounds intriguing and it has a lot of potential.

Brother None, is this a hint? :P

Not really.

Tim Cain discussed Meantime back in this GDC conference. It was the first draft of GURPS. You can read its first drunk draft here.
I WANT. After Torment, MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Rake

Arcane
Brilliant.
A:"Should we make the game Sci-Fi,Cyberpunk,Fantasy,Horror or Dystopia?"
B: "Fuck this shit.It's so last gen.Let's put it all in"
:yeah:

BobtheTree

Savant
So why are you, codexer, so convinced that this will be a game capable of standing against the original PST?
I'm not convinced, it's a risk to be sure, but I'll risk supporting this venture if it means we're getting more CRPGs that strive to have great writing.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/435111733334395082

JyI420q.png

Roguey

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, what was their reasoning then? We want to have our own IP but we don't actually want to put any thought in it so Forgotten Realms with guns it is?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
- MCA declined the opportunity for him to make a new Torment game. Did he felt pressured by his own past work?
It's a game being made by another company, and MCA's plate is full. Those are the reasons given. Obsidian is currently working on 3 games and he helped out with Wasteland 2, so that's a lot of stuff.

Yeah, what was their reasoning then? We want to have our own IP but we don't actually want to put any thought in it so Forgotten Realms with guns it is?
My guess is that they didn't want to do such a narrative driven game and wanted a more open world. They're pitch about the how the PC will be driven sounded very Arcanum esque to me.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

Yes, exactly, a pitch for a Baldur's Gate game and setting. Not only that, but it totally answers the "what was their reasoning" question.

Maybe you should take more care about your shitposting first instead of hunting everybody else for shitposting, mr. "I can look up words in the dictionary".

kaizoku

Arcane
So why are you, codexer, so convinced that this will be a game capable of standing against the original PST?
I'm not convinced, it's a risk to be sure, but I'll risk supporting this venture if it means we're getting more CRPGs that strive to have great writing.

There's always a risk with KS projects. And for 90% of those that I backed, I've backed them based on their game ideas and their implementation capabilities.
Even though it's far from final, with the W2 gameplay video Fargo convinced me he can put a good game out there. So I'm really not questioning his ability to make a game (which requires more than just having interesting ideas...).
And the Numenera setting sounds really interesting and is a real breath of fresh air.
My question wasn't "hey should I back this?". I already backed it at the $110.

The thing is, if you're going to play clean (as in, it's not about the money nor fake promises) and put out the Torment name out there, you'll inevitably will have the game compared to the original one. It happens with all "franchises".
They could have went with the game without the Torment heritage, but they still decided to go for it.

If MCA was the one doing the writing I would say "yes! if anyone is capable of doing it, it's him."
But since the lead designer is Colin, I'm not confident that the game will be of the same tier as PS:T.

Blackguard

Learned
I personally never saw P:E as purely based on BG games, but rather on all of the IE games and that style. Building on different things found in those games.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They do seem to be putting a large emphasis on "interesting dungeons" (and I don't mean just the megadungeon) so it's at least partially an Icewind Dale successor as well.

Arkeus

Arcane
Their reasoning probably was that they wanted to do a whole new IP that could have more than one game in it, so this as well as making it quite dungeon-heavy means a Torment-like game was probably not the right choice.

hiver

But since the lead designer is Colin, I'm not confident that the game will be of the same tier as PS:T.

The squirrel was content and happy to be there!! :mad:

No, seriously.

But first, Colin is the creative lead. Not the "lead designer". And there are several other writers on the job.
And the whole game is a collaborative effort.

That and the fact that we dont invest in Kickstarter projects to be certain. We cant get reassurance on this matter upfront like that.
We dont support a game that "is going to be as good as Torment!!"
We support the idea. The desire. The direction. The mere possibility which otherwise wouldnt exist.
We support sticking it to the Man.

As for your donation, its good as it is. There is still enough time and much more info will be released for you to judge if you need to upgrade.
Wait and see.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I personally never saw P:E as purely based on BG games, but rather on all of the IE games and that style. Building on different things found in those games.

Since Tim Cain's involved I'd much prefer it if they'd build on what Fallout did, and what Troika did with Arcanum and ToEE, than build from IE. But it doesn't seem like they are, which kinda bothers me if I'm in a bad mood.

Kirtai

Augur
But first, Colin is the creative lead. Not the "lead designer". And there are several other writers on the job.
And the whole game is a collaborative effort.
Heh, didn't they say that they're not letting Colin get too close to the game mechanics in one of the updates? :)

hiver

I believe so, yes. :)

Kaizoku if of course referring to the "writing" side of the things but even there its not just like Colin can do whatever he pleases.
How great a game is - is a gestalt effect. Its really impossible to judge the whole looking at just one single part of the whole.
And lets not forget all the complaints PST got over the years for specific parts of it.

- Besides, all ive read from Colin thus far, including his fantasy book "the Oathbreaker" (which can be downloaded for free from his site) seemed pretty decent. I have no complaints there at all.

Project: Eternity
Making not BG as a first game in the setting a good idea because it is very good as a start game.

Want more fights? Here is our future not-Icewind Dale.
Want more dialogues? Here is our future not-PS:T.
Like proportions? Sequel.

All in their own setting from Project: Eternity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom