Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I personally never saw P:E as purely based on BG games, but rather on all of the IE games and that style. Building on different things found in those games.

Since Tim Cain's involved I'd much prefer it if they'd build on what Fallout did, and what Troika did with Arcanum and ToEE, than build from IE. But it doesn't seem like they are, which kinda bothers me if I'm in a bad mood.

Exactly, i always found that the fallout universe, stories, characters, was much more interesting than the vanilla FR setting of the BG series, but gameplay wise i ended up enjoying BG more due to the ever increasing "epicness" of the story and encounters.

Blackguard

Learned
Heh, didn't they say that they're not letting Colin get too close to the game mechanics in one of the updates? :)
A pity the same can't be said for Monte Cook.
It's not Monte who has inflicted 4E on an unsuspecting populace.

Don't think so, he wasn't even working at WotC during that time. He was supposed to be the lead designer for 5th edition but left WotC pretty soon after getting the job.

Globbi

Augur
Heh, didn't they say that they're not letting Colin get too close to the game mechanics in one of the updates? :)
A pity the same can't be said for Monte Cook.
I don't think it matters if either of them or both will have contribution to mechanics (and they did say not letting Colin close to mechanics was a joke, we can assume that as important designer he will normally discuss all parts of the game with others from team, also creative design of items, skill usage and parts of the world will have to be consulted with mechanics designers). It's still a collaboration of experienced designers,. Not every idea will be perfect, but blatantly broken mechanics shouldn't make it past concept phase. At the same time I don't expect the best combat system ever (since that would be P:E ;] ) from this game anyway. Getting story deeper and more interactive than ever with mechanics just enough to make combat better than PS:T will really be enough for this game.

Delterius

Arcane

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not that I particularly care for Monte Cook/d20 but care to explain why?
Classes are better balanced, non-caster classes have things to do during combat, the rules are less pseudosimulationist.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Their reasoning probably was that they wanted to do a whole new IP that could have more than one game in it, so this as well as making it quite dungeon-heavy means a Torment-like game was probably not the right choice.

They could do any type of game they want with an original setting. Using a different setting than "Forgotten realms with guns" does not imply a Torment-like game. It implies not selling out to the lowest common denominator.

non-caster classes have things to do during combat

Yes, tell us about how the 3.5E or even 2E non-casters didn't have anything to do in combat because Bioware didn't implement it in the Infinity Engine.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
There's been a shift from pseudosimulation, as Roguey would put it, to full on gamist design.
Dude what you people mean by "pseudosimulation" is basically at the heart of every role-playing game, all that happened to D&D was becoming more mechanical and contrived.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm gonna back this but most likely my gaming days will be far over by the time it gets released, but here's to the incline, alas you came to late for this aging soul...

What, are you going to die in 2014 or something?

In a manner of speaking (most likely will have a kid by then!)

Having a kid means less time for gaming, not no time for gaming ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom