Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I knew inXile were true bros. Fantastic update. Here's a short list of people who can fuck off:
  • bulbous weeaboo hambeasts and their inevitable stockpiles of resin waifu statuettes
  • self-actualized "gamer" womyn
  • Hamburger Helper and other despicably bad professional fan fiction "writers"
  • bronies
  • babyfurs
  • simpering man-feminist ultra-liberals
  • Biodrones
  • Asperger's sufferers and autists (see "Biodrones")
  • completely normal, intelligent and well-adjusted people who've never done a thing to me, but like something that I don't

Awesome post, would brofist if I could! :bro:
It's really cool of inXile to confirm this so early - unlike, say, Obsidian, who were coy about it until the very end of the KS, and I don't think they've still confirmed romances one way or the other. It will be interesting to see how many Biodrone subhumans catch this in the update and whether any of them actually pull their pledge. I'm guessing it won't affect the bottom line all that much - although the butthurt is already flowing in the KS comments, and lo, it is good!

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Very clever. Not as much as the previous thousand times you've used it before, but still refreshingly smart. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

And how would you know that? You only joined in November.

Seriously, how come you alts never even try? Wouldn't it be kind of fun to roleplay an actual noob who is still learning everybody's amusing little schticks for the first time?

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Very clever. Not as much as the previous thousand times you've used it before, but still refreshingly smart. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

And how would you know that? You only joined in November.

Seriously, how come you alts never even try? Wouldn't it be kind of fun to roleplay an actual noob who is still learning everybody's amusing little schticks for the first time?

I joined in November, but I had a life before that, and I don't need an alt to lurk, and only started reading the Codex because of Grimoire, of all things. As you do that sort of quote every other day, I've had plenty of chances to see it.

Do you understand how the internet works? Do you understand that the codexian circlejerk isn't the only place in the web to talk about cRPGs? If you're going to get all Columbo on me, you could at least check my account first. I have nothing to hide.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nah. Anyway you're actually wrong, it's Jaesun who's doing that all the time. I just do the occasional homage.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Well, I sincerely think Torment was overrated and its "deep plot" tried to appeal to the lowest common denominator. It's OK to have liked it back then, you were younger and inexperienced, and loved to feel smarter than you actually were.
This is plain fucking retarded.

You know why?

Because Computer GAMES. It is a video game. Not a piece of art, not a scientific article but a video game.

If you want to have truly uplifting experience you are in the wrong business.

So, we agree then?

Gulnar

Scholar
Well, I sincerely think Torment was overrated and its "deep plot" tried to appeal to the lowest common denominator. It's OK to have liked it back then, you were younger and inexperienced, and loved to feel smarter than you actually were.

Still, it was and is better than the 99% of the games in the whole industry. The 'boring and uncreative' Curst/Carceri part was still better than the boring an uncreative underdark part in bg2. The plot approached other themes than 'i'm a hero and ill save the world!111!', and the side characters, unlike in precedent games had a personality and a basilar influence system. I mean, compare for example any of the npc (bar Sarevok) of BG 1/2 to those of planescape torment.

vorvek

Augur
Patron

Still, it was and is better than the 99% of the games in the whole industry. The 'boring and uncreative' Curst/Carceri part was still better than the boring an uncreative underdark part in bg2. The plot approached other themes than 'i'm a hero and ill save the world!111!', and the side characters, unlike in precedent games had a personality and a basilar influence system. I mean, compare for example any of the npc (bar Sarevok) of BG 1/2 to those of planescape torment.

Not saying it wasn't. It was also better than a game of Minesweeper. I'm not even saying Planescape's writing is bad for a game, just that it stroke me that somebody seemed to consider it a colossal work to achieve a similar level unless you have Kierkegaard working for you or something like that. No, PS:T's writing was good (for a game!), but any reasonably good writer (actual writer) could get that. And gameplay-wise, it was underwhelming at best. So, yeah, above-average writing and poor gameplay. Can inXile create a proper spiritual successor? Obviously. If not, why not?

Hell, I even pledged my fucking $28, probably because a spiritual successor of PS:T is still better than no game at all, and I'd really like it to success. But PS:T itself wasn't the übergem some storyfags want to believe it was. It was but a meager improvement, and the fact that RPGs (and videogames in general) tend to suck deep in terms of story doesn't make the plot any better.

Krash

Arcane
Can people stop pointing to joindate instead of offering counterarguments? It's really, really fucking retarded, and it's spreading like a case of veneral disease through the codex.

Thank you.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm not even saying Planescape's writing is bad for a game
Good videogame narrative doesn't come down to plot, it comes down to setting, characters and interactivity/reactivity. Saying Planescape's story is "lowest common denominator" stuff misses the point regardless of whether that claim is correct or not.

Raapys

Arcane
Hell, I even pledged my fucking $28, probably because a spiritual successor of PS:T is still better than no game at all, and I'd really like it to success. But PS:T itself wasn't the übergem some storyfags want to believe it was. It was but a meager improvement, and the fact that RPGs (and videogames in general) tend to suck deep in terms of story doesn't make the plot any better.
It does, actually, because it's not only true for video games but also for books and movies and any story-telling media. The vast majority of it sucks. And quality is relative, since the only comparison you can make is with other stuff of the same type.

PS:T had a decent story, set in an atmospheric and a relatively fresh and interesting setting with what was generally decent writing. That's far more than I can say for most movies/books/games I've seen/read/played.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Can people stop pointing to joindate instead of offering counterarguments? It's really, really fucking retarded, and it's spreading like a case of veneral disease through the codex.

To be fair, most of the times this happens the argument in question is so utterly retarded that a counterargument isn't really needed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom