Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

jewboy

Arbiter
As a general rule, when people use the term liberal they mean someone who sees government more as the solution than the problem, at least when it comes to financial issues. If you are using the term the way it is usually used here in the US then 'all feminists are liberals' is demonstrably false.

Zeriel

Arcane
As a general rule, when people use the term liberal they mean someone who sees government more as the solution than the problem, at least when it comes to financial issues. If you are using the term the way it is usually used here in the US then 'all feminists are liberals' is demonstrably false.

Oh, really.

To be less ridiculous, though, I think the automatic assumption in America is that the use of liberal is almost always a hate word, and almost never used properly.

LizardKing

Scholar
Another one from comments section:
"@Adam out of curiosity, is the firm "no sex, sorry" line because you're possibly targeting a Teen rating like the original PS:T received?"

Yeah, it's all about fucking ratings.
What PS:T lacked was a sex scene with Ignus and Nordom.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Man I don't really give a fuck one way or the other, all that pisses me off is that this somehow became relevant discussion.

Zeriel

Arcane
I am honestly so confused by the Bioware phenomenon. I can't really place it in the grand scheme of media. In TV and movies you have plenty of gratuitous sex that apparently makes more people watch it, but no one, even in the hive of scum and villainy that is internet comments, specifically asks, say, Cinemax shows to include lots of T&A or anything of the sort. If anything, people complain about it being inserted hamfistedly for no reason. Lobbying for sex scenes... I just don't... what is this?

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
So more vaporware for inexile (have they ever made a good game?)

Shame on them for using Torment's name

race_title.png

Yeah Obsidian made good games recently like KOTOR 2, MotB, AP, F:NV

I dunno I just think that having Inexile make a Torment sequel when Wasteland looks meh is a disgrace to the Torment name

The concept art is way better than Obsidian's I'd give you that

Zeriel

Arcane

race_title.png

I dunno I just think that having Inexile make a Torment sequel when Wasteland looks meh is a disgrace to the Torment name

On the other hand, the options really are: a) maybe inXile makes something amazing, maybe they don't, or b) no one ever tries to make Torment 2, it is guaranteed that nothing good results. I think a lot of the positivity towards this project is that they don't just have total random fuckjobs making it, it has a fairly good chance to be decent. Wasting a few million dollars of the world's money on possible brilliance doesn't seem like that much of a waste to me.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity

race_title.png

On the other hand, the options really are: a) maybe inXile makes something amazing, maybe they don't, or b) no one ever tries to make Torment 2, it is guaranteed that nothing good results. Wasting a few million dollars of the world's money on possible brilliance doesn't seem like that much of a waste to me.

Well I'd would have rather had Torment 2 be made by Obsidian or at a point when there is strict focus on it.

Here it's the second fiddle project to an unproven Wasteland team

Zeriel

Arcane
That, and it's not second fiddle. They're doing design work on it, then the whole Wasteland team will roll over to production stage on it. This has only been covered twenty million times. I really don't envy that part of Fargo's job--explaining stuff like this over and over, and people are still like, "WHY DO YOU SCAM???". Also, I think it's clear at this point that Obsidian doesn't really want to do Torment 2, so that's a moot discussion. They could have kickstarted it instead of Eternity. They went with safe Forgotten Realms: Revenge of the Soul-Gods, which isn't surprising at all when you consider it's Feargus at the helm.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Planescape: Torment was a pretty average novel and a subpar game, even for Infinity Engine standards. It was Twilight for 15 year old nerds in 1999. If you can read through the game's "deep themes" right now and still believe it was some sort of masterwork, you probably haven't ever read an actual book. So, yeah, it will hardly get any worse than it was. Faux philosophy and a game about characters (not unlike many Bioware titles) with a short plot that doesn't even exploit the main ideas it seems to be built around.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Planescape: Torment was a pretty average novel and a subpar game, even for Infinity Engine standards. It was Twilight for 15 year old nerds in 1999.
Trolling needs to be less obvious.
:1/5:

Well, I sincerely think Torment was overrated and its "deep plot" tried to appeal to the lowest common denominator. It's OK to have liked it back then, you were younger and inexperienced, and loved to feel smarter than you actually were.

Zeriel

Arcane
I don't really make the assertion (unlike some people) that it was some brilliant masterpiece, but it was more enjoyable to me personally than 99.9% of games I play. As for why I enjoyed it, fairly high-quality writing, a good setting (Planescape), and pretty 2D backgrounds all play a role. The philosophical angle I'll agree on, never believed that was its strong suite, and it comes off as preachy and fairly immature when it gets too much into repeating "WHAT CAN CHANGE THE NATURE OF A MAN, BREH?!".

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Who would ever want to argue on the basis of "THIS GAME IS SHIT. PROVE ME WRONG :retarded: "

Zeriel

Arcane
I was going to go with, "The PROVE ME WRONG! argument? Well, this just turned into a waste of time", but this is the internet, we're here to waste time.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
I don't really make the assertion (unlike some people) that it was some brilliant masterpiece, but it was more enjoyable to me personally than 99.9% of games I play. As for why I enjoyed it, fairly high-quality writing, a good setting (Planescape), and pretty 2D backgrounds all play a role. The philosophical angle I'll agree on, never believed that was its strong suite, and it comes off as preachy and fairly immature when it gets too much into repeating "WHAT CAN CHANGE THE NATURE OF A MAN, BREH?!".

To me, the setting was the best part of the game, although I think the rendering style they chose was a bit meh (particularly, Carceri looked like shit). Writing had it highs and lows, and most of the characters you have to speak with through the game seem to share the same traits (a standard Sigil madness of sorts). Ravel was alright, in all her forms, and so was Dak'kon, unlike the rest of the cast you can carry with you. Examples of not so good writing characters: Anna falling in love with TNO for no real reason, Grace having no character arc at all, simply going from amused by the party to completely attached to TNO, and Morte... well, he is just a gag for most of the time, although he does have an arch that fits his persona. Nordrom, doesn't even get that, and Ignus and Vhaillor are just there to show a couple of extreme characters that are more annoying than anything else. The part with the speaking wall in the alley? That was cool. The whole Carceri/Curst? That was lame at best, and a very lazily designed portion in every aspect (those quests to get the key to the jail were really worth hundredths of thousands of xp?). The Pillar of Skulls was cool, though, but that's just but a fraction of that horrible mess.

The worst part, by far, is the ending. Once the plot unfolds you might be like "ah, that was actually pretty cool", and then you get the best ending, and nothing really matters. It's no different than the 4 buttons from DE:HR, but here you have one where everything is good, nobody dies, you become one with TTO, get sent to Baator to do what you've been doing for the past few hours of the game for an eternity, which probably would grant a beast such as TNO way more than it'd take from him. You never get to know what was it that the first incarnation did, that was so bad and regretful, even though you become one with it (and considering how much of an asshole TNO can be through the game, it must have been really bad).
Who would ever want to argue on the basis of "THIS GAME IS SHIT. PROVE ME WRONG :retarded: "

Well, you don't seem to have any arguments whatsoever, so why would anyone argue with you at all?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom