Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera Released

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Hellion Arcane

Hellion
    It's obviously true, though. Ragequit's review is Greece's way of trying to get back at the westerners for stopping the flow of free moneyz.

And we would have made it too, if it wasn't for those meddling Codexers.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Licaon_Kter Augur

Licaon_Kter
    Gaming Masters review
    :incline::decline:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. deranged Cipher

deranged
    Watching his Tyranny review atm, which seems pretty much spot-on.

^ Top  
  4. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    Playing PoE at 25 fps is not playing without too much problems. That is shit tier level gaming experience.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Played the game for about 2 hrs and I like it so far. Writing is very good, I like the setting and systems seem solid. Can't say how it's gonna go but I was putting off my bed time and now I'm looking forward to play again. That's a good sign but it's till a beginning.

P.S.: Btw haven't read ANYTHING about the game, no previews, no gossip, no Codex threads, going into it completely blind.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Hellion Arcane

Hellion
    Another interesting and quite well-thought-out review I found at "Dark Side of Gaming":

http://www.dsogaming.com/special/reviews/dsogaming-torment-tides-of-numenera-review/

• Agree Agree x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

:shittydog:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Doggy Doggy x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Racist Racist x 6
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Playing it right now, it is really interesting both on good and bad ways, the good ways are that it feels like a Torment game so far, you know like you entering on a tavern and let's say... crazy shit happens like fighting transdimensional entities on your head after getting drunk, lots of stat checks with the effort and Tides system allowing for some interesting interactions. Sagus Cliffs reminds me of Sigil so far and this is a good thing.

The bad part is that you can only choose three classes and there aren't major differences in terms of gameplay from them, you won't see here much of a difference between a Nano and a Glaive as you would see between a mage and a monk on DnD, NumaNuma is really underdeveloped and InXile didn't anything to seriously correct this (however this being an storyfag game, it isn't such a terrible thing). The fights I had so far were uniquely designed what is a good thing.

The other thing I don't like is that the game is too verbose where it didn't need to be, this was sort of a problem on Planescape Torment too but you shouldn't be spending 10 mins reading out of context exposition of past memories to fix a device. It fucks up the flow of the reading on going on so much flashbacks for the most mundane things, on the original Torment, you had flashback memories on rare and important occasions. On NumaNuma, you have descriptive flashbacks at each corner and it is annoying to go back on an out of context past that isn't relevant now at each corner because you needed to fix some device.

Aligern, Callistege and Arritis didn't show up for what they came yet, too soon to make a conclusion about them but I got out of the Mortuary loving Morte and having him on my party all the time, Alligern and Callistege don't have a personality so far, there is alot of static between them but honestly Morte making jokes about the female zombies on the mortuary and you noticing a certain sadness for his condition behind all those jokes was alot more effective. Dunno, maybe I will warm later towards them, there is a whole game to convince me.

Arritis is a quirky companion and a quirky companion can be done extremely well like Morte or really really bad like every single time Bioware tried to make one. Arritis don't annoy me yet but I'm getting worrisome signs.

The story seems alot of epic, dunno where it will go but I hope it isn't the Changing God show with the player on the last seat just reading alot of past backstory of what this guy did. Planescape Torment had a focus on the Nameless one and while the pragmatic encarnation was important, you barely got to know what it did as that was irrelevant, what was important was what you would do, if you would do the same crimes or just redeem all the suffering you caused. The Changing God looks alot like a traditional antagonist so far, dunno if there will be a twist but a good deal of the fun on the original Torment was to uncover YOUR past and not other guy past.

It is fun so far, will keep playing and we will see.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Informative Informative x 5
    ^ Top  
  10. Achiman Cipher Patron

Achiman
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    I had a quick go at it this morning before work after it downloaded all night (curse you third world internet) my initial thoughts:
    - The splash screen for Inxile sounded like a distorted fart, I don't remember that from Wasteland 2. Is this new?
    - Crash-tastic. Game crashed twice in the 1/2 hour I played. Not my favourite crash to desktop, but a new just locks up while loading or in a scene transition. Knew this was going to be buggy at the start though so I can live with that I guess because;
    - you can just quicksave pressing f5 after you get control of your character. Am I the only one spergey enough to look at the controls before I start playing?

The actual game, well, they managed (so far) to make PoE models look uglier and it all looks a bit too zoomed in for mine.

Anyway waited 3 years for this shit, so i gotta play it.

^ Top  
  11. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Interesting. I haven't experienced any crashes in the 7 hours I've been playing it. What kind of CPU and GPU do you have?

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. duanth123 Arcane

duanth123
    Why has no one mentioned this laughable shit? I guess red boots DLC was just a good idea in the making.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Funny x 3
    • WTF am I reading x 3
    • decline x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Some hypotheses:

(a) Greek conspiracy against Fargo, obviously.

(b) Greeks are living on the edge due to the recession.

(c) It's a alt of the same dude that trashed the game in the other review.

(d) Kingcomrade.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Yeah, that’s a desperate attempt to make the game look less isometric. The intro is awful. Whoever thought that would attract players should be fired.

Read the white text and ignore the rest.

^ Top  
  15. dungeoncrawler Novice

dungeoncrawler
    Wait a minute... does this mean it's not up to par with Age Of Decadence, story-wise and with clever endings? Does this mean I should just do another play-through of Aod, instead of purchasing the brilliant and long-awaited TToN? I'm confused!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected

• Informative Informative x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    "This silky garment is woven entirely from your thought"

Oh boy how old are you, fourteen

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    The Greeks really hate my meres. :(

Ragequit liked Primordia, though, so I can't help but love 'em. Helps to have a third of your team be a local, I guess. :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. dunno lah Arcane

dunno lah
    Can someone teach me how to switch from Steam key to GOG key in the Torment backer site?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. jaelkeiset Educated

jaelkeiset
    I played for 2 hours... My impression: The reading is indeed tamed. I like it. Sometimes it is taking itself too seriously, but no, it's nothing I will complain about. Feels like if walls of text wouldn't stop me, you need 5 minutes to explore the whole game world ;)
    But I enjoy it. Except the fonts, very blurry. There seems to be some infamous unity font problem going on here.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    I tried it for an hour or before bed last night - not really enough to give an opinion other than I'm liking the background graphics big time so far. It will be interesting to see what Obsidian do with POE2 now it's moved to Unity 5.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Ah, so that's who's to "blame" for first complex quest in the game
    Show Spoiler
    that can be solved in suboptimal ways and you might never even know it.

^ Top  
  23. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Yes, I'm totally depressed every time I watch a Let's Play -- people "solve" the Kholn Village Mere without ever going into the cave, blow through the Clerk without ever being subjected to his petty power games, and probably will resolve Inifere without seeing 80% of what's to do with him.

I should petition for an achievement that is unlocked when you read at least 50% of what I wrote for the game. :/

• Funny x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • decline x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Aenra Guest

Aenra
    When will you stop putting words in peoples' mouths..? You do it so often, i honestly think you don't even notice it anymore.

No, not at all. Say what you will of me, but i don't think i've ever criticized let alone been unfair towards any of the staff here. My views and stance notwithstanding (against Jews or faggots for example, both of which are mods), i am aware this is a gaming forum and treat it and its members as such; including yourself. As you may recall, when people bitched about things you had not a hand in, i did try and correct them. I kinda like facts; whether they suit me or not.
    As to our credibility as a site, i find us well above that of others. If you ever wondered why i only post here, maybe now you know.

Now as to my 'comment', it was exactly what i said it was. Me making fun of someone having taken himself a bit too seriously, writing a one page long diatribe in cock sucking disguised as game praise. Maybe not your idea of a lol moment, but it sure was mine :)
    edit: the 'transparency' part was meant literally, ie posters saying what they really mean (rather than disguing it) and/or people responding to such posts accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2017
    • Doggy Doggy x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So anyone invited the Greek to the codex yet?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.