Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Prime Junta

rado907 Erritis is p cool, sort of like Minsc but with an Avellonian twist.
Tranny, no question. Turn the difficulty down to storymode so you can ignore the combat, and it's a rather enjoyable CYOA. Decent visuals, interesting worldbuilding, writing that's minimally competent at worst, pretty good at best, and lots of different ways to go through it.

:killit:

fanboy.png

19275.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I couldn't get through Tyranny, I uninstalled it pretty fast. Even with all its pretenses it was still generic as all hell and didn't live up to its premise. The reactivity was lost on me, because it couldn't hold me for a single playthrough, let alone multiple ones.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
hBEbyEm.png

Could this be an Icewind Dale reference?
PST reference.

You hunt for the Bronze sphere for Phaerod. You can later recover it and it leads you to the memory of your true name, but you have to keep it on your character before entering the Fortress of Regret.

Malpercio

Arcane
lol guys, I was kidding. :P

The game can't go 5 seconds without referencing Planescape, it's starting to get annoying. Even the main plot feels like a weak-ass version of Planescape.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
BTW the three recruitable NPC's I have found so far have all been unlikable. The first two were really whiny and eventually demanded that I choose between the two of them. So I told them both to fuck off. Then I met this merc who is pretty disgusting and whom I will dump the moment I finish his quest.
The Tyranny NPC's also sucked. Mostly they are all too edgy and whiny.

They aren't likeable at all. I finished with Erittus, Matkina and Callistege and I didn't give a shit about what happened to them. Really boring and unlikeable.

In contrast I cared about every companion in PST at the end of the game. Except Vhailor which I didn't keep with me, cuz he's an asshole.
In this, they're all just NPCs that come with you and help you with skill checks and combats instead of just being static loredumps like the other NPCs.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
For the most part, I have read that the game has good ideas, but terrible or weird execution, as well as cut content. Is this something can be fixed/mitigated via patches (or god forbid, a director's cut)?

The most disappointing feedback that I have heard is that the tides do not play a massive role, with perhaps a few paragraphs of difference.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
People preferring Tranny to this now, too? Holy hell, I swear, some of you people have got it in for InXile badly, lots of edgy unecessesary hatin', bruhs!

Reached the bloom now, and honestly, the story and writing continues to be great. I don't really know what everybodys problem with it is, other than it gets abit too expositionary at times, the sidequests gets abit boring and sometimes too short, there's not enough of em, and not enough of C&C, but come on, every rpg has some of those side quests, hell even the main one (POE). T:TON is like a book in cRPG form. I like how the game handles the themes of immortality, passage of time, hardships of hard/complex decisions, regrets, the value of life, the human condition, free will and free choices etc.

I feel, if there was abit more VA, restored cut content and alot harder difficulty (skillschecks etc) this game would be a 9/10 for me. Currently sitting somewhere at 7-7.5/10 or 8/10 at times.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
BTW the three recruitable NPC's I have found so far have all been unlikable. The first two were really whiny and eventually demanded that I choose between the two of them. So I told them both to fuck off. Then I met this merc who is pretty disgusting and whom I will dump the moment I finish his quest.
The Tyranny NPC's also sucked. Mostly they are all too edgy and whiny.

They aren't likeable at all. I finished with Erittus, Matkina and Callistege and I didn't give a shit about what happened to them. Really boring and unlikeable.

In contrast I cared about every companion in PST at the end of the game. Except Vhailor which I didn't keep with me, cuz he's an asshole.
In this, they're all just NPCs that come with you and help you with skill checks and combats instead of just being static loredumps like the other NPCs.

Well thing is you get Vhailor pretty much at the end, so you just have very little time and interactions to like him.

Tbh I cared a bit about Erritis...did you do his quest?

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I'm not seeing anything that could be fixed by patches, unless they rewrote the game and gave it a better RPG system.

:negative:
Tranny, no question. Turn the difficulty down to storymode so you can ignore the combat, and it's a rather enjoyable CYOA. Decent visuals, interesting worldbuilding, writing that's minimally competent at worst, pretty good at best, and lots of different ways to go through it.
This may be the most damning thing I have read in this thread. I cannot imagine myself enjoying Tyranny and there are few games I find more off-putting due to wasted potential.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well thing is you get Vhailor pretty much at the end, so you just have very little time and interactions to like him.

Tbh I cared a bit about Erritis...did you do his quest?

Yeah, but I didn't free him at the end, whatever that does.

I just didn't find him likeable. Was trying hard to be funny and likeable, but it just didn't work out. And I got annoyed by his stupid selection and movement VOs.
Doesn't help that his story isn't that interesting either.
Just another guy affected by Numenera because he touched something he shouldn't have. Whoop-dee-fucking-do, just like every other guy in this game.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
So, while everyone cheers that inXile is taking a hit due to all your combined nerd rage, what is your goal? Attack, attack, attack every non-AAA rpg studio until there is only Bioware, Bethesda, and CD Project? I don't understand how people on a supposed rpg forum can clap at the second death of rpgs. You fucking pricks did this with Troika. Where is your hate on all these fucking super rpg-lite Asian games that come out? Where is your rage?

What is your goal? Your fucking nerd whinny and genre hate doesn't work when it comes to the AAAs, you refuse to attack the Asian games you all really love. What do you guys have against rpgs? Seriously, why do you guys even post here?

Randal gets in on every thread even vaguely referencing PoE2.

Sherry is the only ray of joy and light in a world bereft of hope.
TTON's topic achieved what the game failed to do and answered the question: "What does one life matter?"

So, while everyone cheers that inXile is taking a hit due to all your combined nerd rage, what is your goal? Attack, attack, attack every non-AAA rpg studio until there is only Bioware, Bethesda, and CD Project? I don't understand how people on a supposed rpg forum can clap at the second death of rpgs. You fucking pricks did this with Troika. Where is your hate on all these fucking super rpg-lite Asian games that come out? Where is your rage?

What is your goal? Your fucking nerd whinny and genre hate doesn't work when it comes to the AAAs, you refuse to attack the Asian games you all really love. What do you guys have against rpgs? Seriously, why do you guys even post here?
As for me, I do love some rpgs. Pokemon, Zelda, Fire Emblem - lots of them nowadays, some even on mobile. You should try one :shittydog:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't see how it can possibly be fixed with Director's Cut. Not with the way it's selling, anyway. It would take major revamp of the mechanics, adding extra content, and reworking bunch of old one on top of it. Maybe if it moved million units like D:OS, but as it is, it will take a while until it breaks even.

It's a good storyfaggy game but it will never be anything more than that.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
It is not a bad game. And this is coming from its critic. It's a disappointing game. People who have not played it: Do not be fooled by the negative opinion here. it is over the top in most cases. The game does have some really negative points, but comparing it to any other game from 3-4 years it is quite adequate. I would not advise paying the full price for it, though. Maybe a 50% to 75% discount justifies buying it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom