Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Prime Junta

Okay this really sucks.

I made a completely different Castoff this time, a Rugged Glaive who Masters Defence. Guess what? It has next to zero impact on gameplay... because I can use any party member on any skill check, except Anamnesis. As long as I spec one in Intellect, one in Speed, and one (me) in Might, guaranteed passed skill checks everywhere. Okay so there's a little flavour I'm missing out on because no Scan Thoughts but that's it.

Maybe I'll have to grab the screenies from the saves in my previous attempt, I can't cope with the idea of slogging through this again. Even though I took Rhin onboard this time and she does seem a little more interesting than Dullistege or Borekina.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
lolwut? The entire game you're handholded either the NPCs, or the narrator or (mainly) the journal. Everywhere, including side-quests. Everyone is just "go there and do that, stupid".

:nocountryforshitposters:

Here's a solution for you - don't use a journal for quest hints like some casual pleb.

Also close your eyes while playing the game for maximum hardcoreness

GloomFrost

Arcane
IncendiaryDevice
I wasn't counting indie devs obviously. Bigger studios either go with RTWP or RT.
We will always have Obsidian.
This is what I don't get, Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny were insipid and Shadowrun games were primitive tablet games and somehow only inXile gets the scorn. On one hand I would like to see them burn due to their leftist inclinations and how they treat others, on the other without them I don't see how we can get something interesting (not counting indie devs obviously).
What on earth are you on about??? POE got a lot of bolocking from people but at least it included every stretch goal promised despite having a smaller budget and being in development for 2.5 years instead of 4. And developers actually admitted some of their mistakes. Nobody expected anything from tyranny coz its a small low budget side project made by obsidian b players.
As for shadowrun returns you said it yourself its a tablet game that wasnt advertised as a Planescape successor. Although i must say i enjoyed The dragonfall a lot more the numenera.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The second Mere? Have there been none between the Kholn Village one and Inifere?!

Anyway, yes, sounds like you missed it. Talking him into closing the gate is a different path.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
lolwut? The entire game you're handholded either the NPCs, or the narrator or (mainly) the journal. Everywhere, including side-quests. Everyone is just "go there and do that, stupid".

Here's a solution for you - don't use a journal for quest hints like some casual pleb.

-"The game is handholding me"
-"What do you mean?"
-"Well I got lost so I checked the journal for hints".

Flawless logic amigo.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism

-"What do you mean?"

Flawless logic amigo.

Handholding or not, it's really hard to "get lost" in T:ToN. Maps are relatively small and you can always press Tab to see everything useful.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The second Mere? Have there been none between the Kholn Village one and Inifere?!

Anyway, yes, sounds like you missed it. Talking him into closing the gate is a different path.

FUCK! ://////////

No, I haven't gotten any meres besides the Koln village, lol, feel like i've been missing out on alot of good content... any way to get back to it? I'm at necropolis now after having shut down the gate.

Mortmal

Arcane

-"What do you mean?"

Flawless logic amigo.

Handholding or not, it's really hard to "get lost" in T:ToN. Maps are relatively small and you can always press Tab to see everything useful.

its not that you can always press tab.. You HAVE to press tab to be sure to not miss anything as the objects you can interact with are absolutely not obvious to see.its quite cumbersome, usually adventure games do this better.So far yes maps are very small , hard to make it more linear.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

No, I haven't gotten any meres besides the Koln village, lol, feel like i've been missing out on alot of good content... any way to get back to it? I'm at necropolis now after having shut down the gate.
(1) I don't know where my Meres ended up, but I would think that (at a minimum) the Indigo Tidal Mere (involving the whale) would still be in Sagus Cliffs somewhere. From watching an LP, I know that the Gold Tidal Mere (inheritance) is somewhere in the Necropolis There must be a list somewhere out there.
(2) There's no way to go back. Sorry. :/ That said, persuading Inifere to close the gate has some interesting elements (I hope?) that you can't see if you do the Mere, so it's not all loss.

From Steam, here's someone's list, but I don't know what corresponds to what: http://steamcommunity.com/app/272270/discussions/0/133258593399730217/?ctp=3

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

(1) I don't know where my Meres ended up, but I would think that (at a minimum) the Indigo Tidal Mere (involving the whale) would still be in Sagus Cliffs somewhere. From watching an LP, I know that the Gold Tidal Mere (inheritance) is somewhere in the Necropolis There must be a list somewhere out there.
(2) There's no way to go back. Sorry. :/ That said, persuading Inifere to close the gate has some interesting elements (I hope?) that you can't see if you do the Mere, so it's not all loss.

That's reassuring I suppose, lol. Thanks for replying, mate :) I'm sad though, because the meres seem to be the better parts of the story it would seem. Oh well, might get it on the SECOND playthrough ! ;-o

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

-"What do you mean?"

Flawless logic amigo.

I'm not saying it's easy to get lost (although I think Luckmann did but he's on drugs :cool:).

But to say that you're being hand-holded is nonsense. At best they give you NPC or area you need to find and their approximate location. That's not any different than how Morrowind did it, and that's definitely not a hand-holding game. And for some quests (like finding Rhin) you actually need to follow visual hints given by the NPCs. Once you find your target, quests usually have multiple solutions too. That's not hand-holding, sorry. But I guess we're reaching that point in game's lifetime when people are just spewing out generic blanket complaints whether they make sense or not.

I'll agree that game is very easy, but that's not because it's handholding you, it's because it lacks multi-step quest chains. Almost everything is 1-2-3 done.

And sorry, but bitching that about being hand-holded by a journal is just retarded.

- Hmm what was I supposed to do? Maybe I should check the journal.
- Hey I'm your journal, you were supposed to find...
- STOP HAND-HOLDING ME OR I'LL TELL THE CODEX!

:outrage:

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Okay this really sucks.

I made a completely different Castoff this time, a Rugged Glaive who Masters Defence. Guess what? It has next to zero impact on gameplay... because I can use any party member on any skill check, except Anamnesis. As long as I spec one in Intellect, one in Speed, and one (me) in Might, guaranteed passed skill checks everywhere. Okay so there's a little flavour I'm missing out on because no Scan Thoughts but that's it.

Maybe I'll have to grab the screenies from the saves in my previous attempt, I can't cope with the idea of slogging through this again. Even though I took Rhin onboard this time and she does seem a little more interesting than Dullistege or Borekina.

So, we can cross some goals about reactivity :)

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Okay this really sucks.

Surely the next logical step is to approach the game from a killing machine perspective. See how many fights you can get into. How many NPCs you can kill before they get a chance to utter a single lore dump. Find out exactly what is killable without breaking the game. Etc

Prime Junta

Okay this really sucks.

There is still reactivity to your choices. A bit. You can accomplish goals in a variety of ways.

But this damn thing is so incredibly pat.

For example, when you're told you need to find Matkina, you immediately find a guy who tells he knows where she lives and will tell you if you find another location for him which nobody's found. In the next room stands a guy who will take you there if you solve a problem for him. Completely coinicidentally of course.

And it's like this all the time. Much later, in the Bloom, you need to find a deadly hunter-killer to feed to a Maw. Guess what? In the next room stands, you guessed it, a deadly hunter-killer whose purpose in life is ... wait for it ... to be fed to a Maw.

It's almost as if the entire world had been set up so you could accomplish your miraculous, near-impossible quest objectives with the minimum of fuss, by talking to a couple of people standing within thirty feet of each other.

imweasel

I am 10 hours in. This game is not bad but pretty bland. I understand why so many are disappointed.

Mikeal

Arcane
I just reached Valley of the Dead Heroes. What a fucking disapointment. I thought it would be something like last chapters of "Dark Messiah of Might and Magic" or late Númenor from "Silmarillion" only with high technology. What I found it's literally garbage. One small locations which look like shithole and small corridor where I can teleport to even smaller locations to read some retarded nicknames (propably backers). This could be easly the best part of the game. I hope that Castoff's sanctuary will be better.

bataille

Arcane
Okay this really sucks.

Well, at least now you have appropriately ripped body to wear that DLC SYNTHSTEEL FORGED OF DISTANT STARS plate mail. I hope you have some red boots to go with it.
Yay, I guess...

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Okay this really sucks.

There is still reactivity to your choices. A bit. You can accomplish goals in a variety of ways.

But this damn thing is so incredibly pat.

For example, when you're told you need to find Matkina, you immediately find a guy who tells he knows where she lives and will tell you if you find another location for him which nobody's found. In the next room stands a guy who will take you there if you solve a problem for him. Completely coinicidentally of course.

And it's like this all the time. Much later, in the Bloom, you need to find a deadly hunter-killer to feed to a Maw. Guess what? In the next room stands, you guessed it, a deadly hunter-killer whose purpose in life is ... wait for it ... to be fed to a Maw.

It's almost as if the entire world had been set up so you could accomplish your miraculous, near-impossible quest objectives with the minimum of fuss, by talking to a couple of people standing within thirty feet of each other.

This is just retarded. Holy fuck inxile

:deathclaw:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
- Hmm what was I supposed to do? Maybe I should check the journal.
- Hey I'm your journal, you were supposed to find...
- STOP HAND-HOLDING ME OR I'LL TELL THE CODEX!

:outrage:

Fuck, how can you be so fucking stupid. It's unbelievable.

A journal is supposed to give you the objective, so you don't forget what you have to do.
It's not supposed to tell you step by step where and how to do it. "Oh, I remember I met those guys in that area, I bet they can help solve this quest" is not what a journal is supposed to be.

And you get shit like this from that retarded narrator too. Whoever came up with the implementation of the narrator should be fucking killed.

Fuck. You're stupid.

Sizzle

Arcane
I am 10 hours in. This game is not bad but pretty bland. I understand why so many are disappointed.

The game would be tolerable if it wasn't for terrible turn-based combat. Slow, buggy, boring - one of the worst I've ever experienced.

T:TON is to TB what Tyranny is to RTWP.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Okay this really sucks.

Okay this really sucks.

I am curious. Which recent game in history has your choice of class dictate how the story unfolds? Similar question for the second quote.

This is how almost all recent games are if not all. The contrast with TTON is that the premise in TTON is more subtle and the execution bland. The game has good intentions but is bogged down by the horribly implemented choices.

bataille

Arcane
I remember not having the stomach to be evil in PST; couldn't muster my courage to play anything other than chaotic good Adahn for some lighthearted fun with lies and whatnot.
Here, though, I can snap the neck of the Ninth World itself and not bat an eye, no regrets. Let's save our empathy for something less cardboardy. May Ingress be thrice-blessed.

Tides_Of_Numenera_2017_03_07_19_29_47_97.jpg

Tides_Of_Numenera_2017_03_07_20_08_20_55.jpg

Prime Junta

I am curious. Which recent game in history has your choice of class dictate how the story unfolds?

Can't think of any. Why do you ask?

I know why you ask. You're strawmanning, that's why.

There are a few where skills and stats make a significant difference though, and that's what T:ToN promised. In this case I made everything as different as I could: descriptor, type, focus, exploration skills, lore skills, inabilities, abilities. The impact of all of that on reactivity is minimal.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I am curious. Which recent game in history has your choice of class dictate how the story unfolds? Similar question for the second quote.

AoD, even though there aren't classes, more like backgrounds, but you get the idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom