Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I did not notice any timed quests, but I do remember one or two NPCs mentioning in dialogue that I have to hurry. with their quests.

See, this all feeds into fucked up skill check balance. First nobody notices that failure really does sometimes lead to interesting outcomes and it wasn't just a bunch of bullshit talk, now nobody notices timed quests. I fucking guarantee you these hacks are siting at HQ and wondering why is everybody beating their game in 20-25 hours, instead of 30-40 they imagined.

They probably envisioned people carefully using their resources and making tough decisions on whether go to sleep or risk a quest on 50% success chance. Instead everybody is either save scumming or just plays a Nano and blazes through every check.

Smh.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I did not finished the game yet, so can you tell me if this scenario has been implemented? I did not see it in sagus cliffs.

ahfVi6k.jpg

And lets talk about strech goals. I'm crazy? I cant find 2/3 of these goals!

+++expanded reactivity, stronghold, crafting, expanded reactivity, another major city, more Morgan music (the game is shorter, so how is that?), companion depth...

Ok, this is much worse than I was thinking.

From these goals, what was actually implemented?

4cf23366055356d2148a119a60338799_original.jpg

Thats nowhere ingame.

Prime Junta

I've been charitable about this, only crossing out the ones that I'm sure weren't there at all. Some I'm not sure about (live orchestra), others I didn't notice but might conceivably be there (e.g. reactivity to gender). And I'm not counting goals like "expanded reactivity" or "increased companion depth" at all, since there's no baseline to compare against.

(I didn't count areas referenced in Meres -- those CYOAs -- as being in the game; the Ruins of Ossiphagan do figure in one of those, but if that counts, then a half-dozen or more locations should count too.)

8cDiJTU.jpg

Gruncheon

Augur
Did Inifere's Mere. Really good, all things considered. For whatever reason, the writing markedly improved there. Manages a nice balance between verbosity and readability. It's arch but pared down well, wish more of the game could've been like it.

I've been looking at the good feedback they've been retweeting a bit as well. A lot of the good reactions seem to be focused on the simple fact that it has a lot of text, as opposed to much of that text being good. It reminds me of those guys who brag about having read Infinite Jest like "Yeah, just been reading Infinite Jest. By the late David Foster Wallace. That's right, 1079 pages in the paperback edition. And, of course, the infamously long footnotes" like being beside a huge tome means you've big, weighty thoughts.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
They keep saying Stronghold=Calm, but I don't see how it can be so if it's a part of labirynth which was a separate stretch goal.

Orchestral music I don't know - there are definitely strings instruments in the soundtrack, but whether that's samples or actual live musicians, fuck knows. Orchestra isn't listed in the credits though, so it's probably samples.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm also not sure what "Legacies" refer to, are those the traits you can pick up at the end of the tutorial section? Like Slick etc.

Prime Junta

I'm also not sure what "Legacies" refer to, are those the traits you can pick up at the end of the tutorial section? Like Slick etc.

No those are Descriptors. Legacies have to do with your dominant tide or tides, there were supposed to be 16 -- one for each tide (5), pair of tides (10), and 1 for no dominant tide. I think a legacy is a flavour text you get at the end, depending on which tide/tides you got.

I.e. that stretch goal amounted to 16 paragraphs of text plus the tracking mechanism for dominant tides. There is a leetle bit of reactivity to them in-game also.

Prime Junta

Dendra OHur are just 5 guys in a chapel?

Not quite. There are a couple more standing here and there, and you get to meet their founder and boss and talk to him a bit.

A Castoff. Shocking, I know

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They keep saying Stronghold=Calm, but I don't see how it can be so if it's a part of labirynth which was a separate stretch goal.

Orchestral music I don't know - there are definitely strings instruments in the soundtrack, but whether that's samples or actual live musicians, fuck knows. Orchestra isn't listed in the credits though, so it's probably samples.

Plus the calm would be in the game regardless, because its the final area of the game.

Also, for all the game references the tides... they have exactly zero effect in the game beyond a single paragraph in the ending slides, a small one at that. My dominant tide was gold and in the end the game said that "healers everywhere still remember you" or something of the like.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
3,1M: added a new cult, but they dont make ANY DIFFERENCE AT ALL

Cmon guys, inxile is a joke. They should be lawsuited by backers and kickstarter.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

We theorize that the cults were supposed to be the "main" storyline in Sagus Cliffs, or maybe not "main" but like the factions in PS:T. That's why you can "join" the Cult of the Changing God, but other than free rests, nothing comes of it.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Not gonna lie, former Fargo supporter here. This is fucking hilarious watching InXile crash and burn. But in all seriousness we can't let this guy start another kickstarter.

PeGT2qx.png

:lol::lol::lol:

Everything Fargo says in this video has proved to be complete BS. It's not even funny anymore

This apathy was not caused just because it was a bad release or because the game have poor gameplay. I guess that lying to your target audience probably hurt the sales too.

Last edited:

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

I've been charitable about this, only crossing out the ones that I'm sure weren't there at all. Some I'm not sure about (live orchestra), others I didn't notice but might conceivably be there (e.g. reactivity to gender). And I'm not counting goals like "expanded reactivity" or "increased companion depth" at all, since there's no baseline to compare against.

(I didn't count areas referenced in Meres -- those CYOAs -- as being in the game; the Ruins of Ossiphagan do figure in one of those, but if that counts, then a half-dozen or more locations should count too.)

8cDiJTU.jpg

Im quite sure that this image will gain a lot of red lines, in the next pages.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Did Inifere's Mere. Really good, all things considered. For whatever reason, the writing markedly improved there. Manages a nice balance between verbosity and readability. It's arch but pared down well, wish more of the game could've been like it.
Glad you liked it!

Made a difference to me, since Inifere was my major project. :)

Sentinel

Arcane
Here's a tip to filter out all the bullshit when listening/reading what a developer is saying: simply remove all the adjectives and buzzwords like "depth".

GloomFrost

Arcane
Not gonna lie, former Fargo supporter here. This is fucking hilarious watching InXile crash and burn. But in all seriousness we can't let this guy start another kickstarter.

PeGT2qx.png

:lol::lol::lol:

Everything Fargo says in this video has proved to be complete BS. It's not even funny anymore

This apathy was not caused just because it was a bad release or because the game have poor gameplay. I guess that lying to your target audience probably hurt the sales too.

I used to be a Fargo supporter myself, quite enjoyed the W2 and tried defending it all the time. But using backers money to make a console version, then not including half of the stretch goals that were promised was the last straw. I wish inxile shuts down before they can make BT4 and W3. If POE 2 is going to be a failure then its pretty much the end of cRPG genre as we know it.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
What I find mind blowing is that despite all these consolized hugass tutorials, the game doesn't even fucking explain what the Tides are. You'd think if something is in the title, it would be nice to explain it to the player. But no, you're just talking to some bloke, and suddenly you get "Ding! Your Tide has changed!" and you're supposed to know wtf is going on. If I didn't know what dispositions are, I'd be mighty confused.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom