Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I used to be a Fargo supporter myself, quite enjoyed the W2 and tried defending it all the time. But using backers money to make a console version, then not including half of the stretch goals that were promised was the last straw. I wish inxile shuts down before they can make BT4 and W3.

No arguments here.

If POE 2 is going to be a failure then its pretty much the end of cRPG genre as we know it.

I didn't receive the memo that said that InXile and Obsidian were the only studios making cRPGs in the planet Earth. Can you pass me a copy, please?

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
2ew1jy8.png

"Jej wici powiewają w niewidzialnych powiewach" ["Her threads flow in unseen flows"?]
7aEeHR.jpg

What the fuck is this, Arabic? All it lacks is "flowing flows".

Prime Junta

Wooh. Once more into the breach, this time to collect screenshots and check on some things I need for the review.

If you don't hear from me in a week or so, call the President. Or don't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sòren

Arcane
what exactly did brian mitsoda contribute to this game? and what did avellone contribute, besides "designing" Erritris (and not even writing his dialogue, from all i gathered)? all those people in the stretchgoals ended up having almost nothing to do with the game - or am i wrong?

Ivan

Arcane
isn't Inifere's merecaster the one that doesn't work? I've found 2 that don't seem to work from the get-go

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
inXile is finished now and Ponzi scheme is real. I bet they’ve predicted that Torment would sell insanely good, much better than PoE and were working with insane numbers in their minds counting virtual money they were sure to get. But as it turns out they’ll get shit and inXile will either go further into debt or cut the losses, drop Bard’s Tale and go back to making Choplifter or some mobile game.

Which makes me a bit sad because out of all smallish/medium size companies (Obsidian, Larian, Harebrained Schemes) I’ve liked their (2) products the most. Torment is a 8/10 game for me if not for the SJW agenda which made me vomit a couple of times (there is gender, faggotry, feminism and all that crap in amounts I can’t tolerate). That is a huge flaw to me.

I really liked the story though and the locations (especially the Bloom) and once I’ve finished the game I’ve had an urge to start another playthrough but this time with different build and choices which shows to me that the game is my cup of tea. I don’t really get the complaints that we’re being spoiled from the very start and there’s no sense of mystery because that’s the premise and that’s why interacting with others is so interesting. And there is mystery because we don’t really know whether we really are the Changing god or not for example, what Sorrow is, how will our followers react (I was pretty sure that someone would betray me at the end), etc. etc. The ending was anticlimactic and it was super easy but I don’t think it was that bad. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not but when I chose an option that fitted my Tide affinity (blue) the ending was most satisfying and the richest.

I also have to mention that one thing that Torment does better than 90% of other RPGs is that NPCs behave logically and are convincing and don’t feel like your average quest givers in say Tyranny or Shadowrun series.

Some examples:

What’s more, in many RPGs, when you do a quest and go back for the reward the quest giver often believes your words without any proof, just takes your word for it. Well, not in Torment Numenera (see an example below but it's just one of many):

Paradoxically people/creatures here are more down to earth than most NPCs in other RPGs.

As for the fights, well, they’re still much more fun than the ones in Tyranny mainly because it’s turn based (but the abilities are also interesting and with all the bonuses and drawbacks they don’t get tedious). In addition there is no handholding here (yeah, yeah, it’s still simple but check forums out to see how many people have problems with solving easy puzzles which are non-existent in most contemporary RPGs) which I can’t say about other titles. Writing also turned out to be much better than I thought, albeit I had to skip many of the descriptions.
I think inXile is acitively harming the RPG genre with their releases.
I strongly disagree. It’s always best for the consumer when there is competition on the market. That way there is always a chance that even if the end product will turn out to be mediocre it would have some unique features/ideas that can be incorporated by other developers. The way things are going now the signal is clear: don’t even try to be original, don’t experiment, just go with path of least resistance, make a clone of a successful product and voila. And then we get something like Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny which are boring to the extreme, have no originality and in general aim to be a Baldur’s Gate clone. Or we get some tablet game like Shadowrun series.

I can understand inXile hate because they’re faggots and cunts (see how they pissed on their agreement with RPG Codex or sued little guys for using Wasteland word) but saying that they’re harming the industry is just silly. They’re one of the few companies that use TB combat instead of RTWP shit and they’re one of the few that experiment and have ambitions to bring something unique. I for one would like to see them try again rather than see them erased from the existence but I guess with such a big flop as this it’s a done deal already.

#unpopularopinion

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
inXile is actively harming the crowdfunded RPGs with their releases, of that there is no doubt. No one will be as eager to back an RPG when one of the "greats" keeps underdelivering.

We will always have Obsidian.

:gangster:

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
They’re one of the few companies that use TB combat instead of RTWP shit

Larian - Turn Based
Stygian Software - Turn Based
Iron Tower Studios - Turn Based
Bethesda - Real Time
From Software - Real Time
Harebrained Schemes - Turn Based
Logic Artists - Turn Based

Oh, fuck this I'm getting bored of listing them.

RTwP - Obsidian, what are the others?

Or am I just falling into your deliberate bate trap for 3,000 posts about AoD?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
IncendiaryDevice
I wasn't counting indie devs obviously. Bigger studios either go with RTWP or RT.
We will always have Obsidian.
This is what I don't get, Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny were insipid and Shadowrun games were primitive tablet games and somehow only inXile gets the scorn. On one hand I would like to see them burn due to their leftist inclinations and how they treat others, on the other without them I don't see how we can get something interesting (not counting indie devs obviously).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
In addition there is no handholding here (yeah, yeah, it’s still simple but check forums out to see how many people have problems with solving easy puzzles which are non-existent in most contemporary RPGs) which I can’t say about other titles.

lolwut? The entire game you're handholded either by the NPCs, or the narrator or (mainly) the journal. Everywhere, including side-quests. Everyone is just "go there and do that, stupid".

If anyone has problems with this too, I'm really not surprised, most people are stupid or just don't pay attention and then cry about it and that's why we can't have nice things.

Rev

Arcane
This is what I don't get, Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny were insipid and Shadowrun games were primitive tablet games and somehow only inXile gets the scorn. On one hand I would like to see them burn due to their leftist inclinations and how they treat others, on the other without them I don't see how we can get something interesting (not counting indie devs obviously).
I read a lot of scorn towards Obsidian in this forum, actually. HBS gets less simply because it's a smaller company and less people play its games, while inXile in the last year got a lot more "hatred" because of all their bullshit and douchery they decided to pull. Before that, they were quite well regarded here from what I remember, despite WL2 being a bland, uninspired and utterly mediocre game.

Hellion

Arcane
Pillars, WL2 and the Shadowrun games were all part of the "first wave" of Kickstarter RPGs. Most people had different expectations and probably were more lenient towards them because they really wanted them to be successful, thus overlooking some of their more glaring (especially by today's standards) flaws. If NuTorment came out in 2015 right after Pillars it could indeed have sold like crazy purely because it would be riding the same wave that was still at its zenith.

This is no longer the case, and the novelty of praising a game simply because "hey, remember Baldur's Gate? Remember isometric? Remember Black Isle?" has certainly worn off. Such games can no longer rely on the nostalgia factor alone to carry them to success, and must also actually be GREAT games to receive the same amount of praise as the "first wave" did. If PoE 2 ends up pulling a NuTorment on its own, it fill probably fall flat on its face.

(this comment is in regards to "inXile receiving all the scorn while Obsidian etc get a free pass" that was stated above)

Last edited:

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I just did the most retarded thing ever. I was trying to uninstall Numenera, and I somehow accidently uninstalled PS:T, also deleted saves. If inXile made a good game this would've never happened:argh:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
inXile is finished now and Ponzi scheme is real. I bet they’ve predicted that Torment would sell insanely good, much better than PoE and were working with insane numbers in their minds counting virtual money they were sure to get. But as it turns out they’ll get shit and inXile will either go further into debt or cut the losses, drop Bard’s Tale and go back to making Choplifter or some mobile game.

W2 sold more than 500 thousand copies.

Which makes me a bit sad because out of all smallish/medium size companies (Obsidian, Larian, Harebrained Schemes) I’ve liked their (2) products the most.

I despise all in equal measure.

I don’t really get the complaints that we’re being spoiled from the very start and there’s no sense of mystery because that’s the premise.

And that’s the problem. This game is a spiritual successor of a classic that was special precisely because it had a fantastic premise that was majestically infused in gameplay. The exploration, the NPCs, the companions and the main story were all tied to the premise. ToN has a shitty premise that is not tied to most of the exploration, NPCs and companions. It failed as a successor of PS:T, and indirectly turn out to be a bad game in the process.

And there is mystery because we don’t really know whether we really are the Changing god or not for example, what Sorrow is, how will our followers react (I was pretty sure that someone would betray me at the end), etc. etc.

Are you serious?

As for the fights, well, they’re still much more fun than the ones in Tyranny mainly because it’s turn based.

That’s not a real compliment.

In addition there is no handholding here (yeah, yeah, it’s still simple but check forums out to see how many people have problems with solving easy puzzles which are non-existent in most contemporary RPGs) which I can’t say about other titles.

You can kill everyone using cyphers. It’s beyond broken.

Writing also turned out to be much better than I thought, albeit I had to skip many of the descriptions.

That’s not a compliment.

I strongly disagree. It’s always best for the consumer when there is competition on the market.

What competition, Goral? Do you really think that these studios are trying to beat AoD in the reactivity department or Underrail in the combat system? The first two FOs and PS:T were not trying to compete with other cRPGs and were great. The only competition in these medium studios is the race to the bottom, because they are all aiming to please the console audience, but they need to use suckers like you to get funded first.

That way there is always a chance that even if the end product will turn out to be mediocre it would have some unique features/ideas that can be incorporated by other developers.

The same thing could be said about any game.

The way things are going now the signal is clear: don’t even try to be original, don’t experiment, just go with path of least resistance, make a clone of a successful product and voila.

So now the problem is that they were too experimental? Are you kidding me? The game was a cash grab updated by their modern sensibilities and erroneous assumptions about the role of writers in cRPGs. It was a slam-dunk, and they blew it. The only interesting thing you see is the use of scan thought ability, but that’s it. I’m certain that players didn’t get bored because of scan thoughts.

I can understand inXile hate because they’re faggots and cunts (see how they pissed on their agreement with RPG Codex or sued little guys for using Wasteland word) but saying that they’re harming the industry is just silly.

Companions that are nothing more than ambulant wiki dumps are cancer. Writers that provide nothing more than walls of text of background lore and unimaginative quests are cancer. Skill checks that can be abused are cancer. Some game journalists and players with no taste will praise these features, and before you know it, they will become a benchmark of comparison to other games.

They’re one of the few companies that use TB combat instead of RTWP shit and they’re one of the few that experiment and have ambitions to bring something unique. I for one would like to see them try again rather than see them erased from the existence but I guess with such a big flop as this it’s a done deal already.

They didn’t try anything original. They were just trying to make a spiritual successor of a classic based on what they knew best. They were wrong and made a series of mistakes in the process. Harebrained Schemes also use TB and you can play their games on iPhone. That choice is far from being relevant in this discussion, especially if you consider the reason why they choose TB: to port to consoles.

#retardedopinion

Fixed.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Uhmmm, not sure I got the 2nd Mere..

I talked Inifere into closing the Gate, but I didn't get any Mere, what the hell? I did get a mere ITEM from some other dude in Necropolis, but I didn't use it when tlaking to Inifere, have I missed a chance now? :/

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The entire game you're handholded by either the NPCs, or the narrator or (mainly) the journal. Everywhere, including side-quests. Everyone is just "go there and do that, stupid".

:nocountryforshitposters:

Here's a solution for you - don't use a journal for quest hints like some casual pleb.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom