Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I don't think we will see any Director's Cut or further content for this. With sales that high, why even bother? It's not really economically prudent.
Depends on how much effort they put into it... after a launch this bad, a re-release isn't such a bad idea.

Fix bugs, make some small changes and call it "PC-exclusive Director's Cut" (so you don't need Techland & wasting money on console certification, retail version manufacturing & distribution). Of course, if it's a honest upgrade or a cash grab all depends on what they change.

You think they have humility to admit that they fucked up the development and wasted the backers money? I'd say no. I don't think there's any chance of them actually putting back stuff except maybe the companions, which we know were cut out, but actually restoring cut content we don't know about? Nah.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Is the game even salvageable though? Band-aid fixes won't cut it.
It totally is. But requires a crucial change in the story.

Also, requires harder encounters, more timed quests and less resources overall.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Salvageable? Is it? I would say yes. I maintain that it's close to being great, but that all the issues comes together for an utterly terrible whole. But that's only in a technical sense. I don't think it's financially defensible for someone looking to make money, and I think it's precisely the misunderstanding that this game had to make money on release/post-release that hamstrung it, and now inXile is in such a position in which it's simply a necessity.

I just don't think it's going to happen. It would involve inXile essentially continuing full development, and actually making in-depth changes even to the established narrative and the flow of the game. It would be no small feat and I've never seen that done. I doubt inXile is going to be the first.

My question was more regarding the realistic possibility of them salvaging it. It's obvious that if they pour months into full development it CAN happen, but will they? The realistic answer is no.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is the game even salvageable though? Band-aid fixes won't cut it.

Everything's salvageable, given enough dedication and resources.
  • Go over the text and cut about the Old Testament's worth of description, unnecessary verbiage, pointless sidequests, and vanity NPCs, and adjust the rest so it reads like actual dialogue rather than exposition dressed up as dialogue
  • Fix the most glaring ugliness in the maps (badly-fitting textures, polygons showing, ugly/out-of-place designs), give them proper lighting, and re-render them
  • Replace the audio design with something that doesn't sound utterly generic
  • Redesign the UI
  • Redesign the encounters so they have about 1/4 the number of participants so turns don't last forever; also speed up the way they run in general
  • Redesign some core skills so they're not STUPIDLY exploitable (e.g. Hide lets you bypass just about all combat, even if you didn't invest a single point in Speed or Stealth; as it is it's a blessing because combat is so awful)
  • Redesign and rebalance all game mechanics so you'd at least need to make a little effort to craft a party that lets you pass all skill checks all the time
  • Rewrite the ending, as it is the finale scene is Mass Effect 3 level derp
  • Make some actual use of Mark Morgan's music, or tell him to get his ass in gear and compose something worth hearing because we know he can
  • Fire all the artists, hire some who are actually able to paint, and redo all the art for the Meres, it's uniformly awful
Alternatively you could cut your losses and spend all that effort making a whole new game.
Or they could take what they got, improve it and make a game about adventures in Ninth World like couple of NPCs talk about. It would be a much better game considering the lesser skillset of people behind TToN.

bataille

Arcane
This is how to deal with backer NPCs properly. It seems to me it'd be a good idea to create similar scenarios for every ego that is big enough to donate a few thousands of dollars for a flattering self-insert.

Tides_Of_Numenera_2017_03_07_11_58_44_53.jpg

Turjan

Arcane
This is how to deal with backer NPCs properly. It seems to me it'd be a good idea to create similar scenarios for every ego that is big enough to donate a few thousands of dollars for a flattering self-insert.

Rhin's reaction: *gasp*

Even Tybir doesn't exactly approve of your action. Then again, he also thinks you're irresponsible because you take Rhin with you.

But honestly, the backer NPC's are mostly okay. This is not PoE.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Even Tybir doesn't exactly approve of your action. Then again, he also thinks you're irresponsible because you take Rhin with you.

Yeah, I share the hate of backer NPC:s as a concept with a lot of people here, but as for how they were made in Tides of Numenera, they're actually not half bad. I actually didn't know that the monk and the alien sex-scientist were backer NPC:s until someone said it. They're mostly well-written, and actually work as generic NPC:s in the context of the game, which is pretty cool, honestly. I guess that someone took a page from PoE on how to not do backer NPC:s.

bataille

Arcane

Yeah, I agree that this guy didn't stand out in a bad way. That's mostly because the developers did they work to implement the backer's idea in a sensible way, not just copied megabytes of text and randomly sprinkled it all over the game like in Pillars. A painting based on the idea instead of a privilege to tag your game with a spraycan.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Everything's salvageable, given enough dedication and resources.
  • Go over the text and cut about the Old Testament's worth of description, unnecessary verbiage, pointless sidequests, and vanity NPCs, and adjust the rest so it reads like actual dialogue rather than exposition dressed up as dialogue
  • Fix the most glaring ugliness in the maps (badly-fitting textures, polygons showing, ugly/out-of-place designs), give them proper lighting, and re-render them
  • Replace the audio design with something that doesn't sound utterly generic
  • Redesign the UI
  • Redesign the encounters so they have about 1/4 the number of participants so turns don't last forever; also speed up the way they run in general
  • Redesign some core skills so they're not STUPIDLY exploitable (e.g. Hide lets you bypass just about all combat, even if you didn't invest a single point in Speed or Stealth; as it is it's a blessing because combat is so awful)
  • Redesign and rebalance all game mechanics so you'd at least need to make a little effort to craft a party that lets you pass all skill checks all the time
  • Rewrite the ending, as it is the finale scene is Mass Effect 3 level derp
  • Make some actual use of Mark Morgan's music, or tell him to get his ass in gear and compose something worth hearing because we know he can
  • Fire all the artists, hire some who are actually able to paint, and redo all the art for the Meres, it's uniformly awful
Alternatively you could cut your losses and spend all that effort making a whole new game.
I estimate this to another 3 years and $5 mil. Now, where to find it...?

Nicer GUI, NPC portraits and all that VO!
Video from 2015.
Dammit I was so fucking hyped.. like a virginal teenage girl being introduced to Justin Bieber in the backstage.

What the fuck happened to those amazing portraits? And the UI...

I remember when I first saw this trailer, I was so hyped. Fuck you inXile, I hope they crash and burn:argh:
I can watch that today and still get hyped. That 3-minute trailer is more enjoyable and thought-provoking than the entire 20-hour game that came afterwards. I think I'd honestly rather rewatch that trailer 1200 times than to replay Tides of Numenera.

Were there any changes in dialogues and quest in the final version compared to the ones that are presented in the trailer?
That UI :(

Last edited:

Hellion

Arcane
Were there any changes in dialogues and quest in the final version compared to the ones that are presented in the trailer?

I think that the dialogue option "You and your soldiers must pledge your allegiance to me [Persuasion]" after delivering the banner is absent from the game, will have to verify that but I'm pretty sure.

EDIT: LOL it's even worse than I remembered.

eraPVDj.jpg

547be28b-04e2-471e-80ea-d7f91d843efe

Granted, I resolved the "Maw" quest in a different way so that option's absent, but the rest...

Last edited:

Habbonovio

Educated
I fail to understand the reason behind not showing the portraits of the people you are having a conversation with (on the UI), instead, they always show the shitty MC portrait.

Character models are horrible, it would be nice to have another visual reference more pleasant to the eye.

Turjan

Arcane
By the way, if this is the PoE engine, why is the object interaction that clunky? It's really hard to interact with anything if you are close to it, and often enough, I have to move the characters back and forth to be able to do so. One part of the problem is surely that all characters move more or less as a unit, but still...

I fail to understand the reason behind not showing the portraits of the people you are having a conversation with (on the UI), instead, they always show the shitty MC portrait.

Character models are horrible, it would be nice to have another visual reference more pleasant to the eye.

I guess they got to many complains about the difference from Wasteland 2 portraits and the description and decided : fuck that , let them look at a horrible artwork of the main char for the rest of the game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Maybe at some point they also realised that the portraits just doubled up for all the descriptive walls of text that talk about each person's frown and article of clothing in exhaustive detail, and it was easier to drop the portraits than re-write every dialogue intro :troll:

GloomFrost

Arcane
Portraits cost money, yo.
Yep!! But some portraits were already made and they looked 100 times better like in that 2015 video. I still dont know which is worse though looking at a horrible MC portrait the entire game or what they did in Tyranny. (Shrugs)

Habbonovio

Educated
Yep!! But some portraits were already made and they looked 100 times better like in that 2015 video. I still dont know which is worse though looking at a horrible MC portrait the entire game or what they did in Tyranny. (Shrugs)
Let me answer for you:

"What they did in Tyranny".

I prefere to look at a variety of mediocre portraits than to look at an awful character model and the same mediocre portrait ad infinitum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom