Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

hexer

Meanwhile in alternate reality..
  • InXile apologizes
  • pulls the game from the stores
  • delivers on all promises
  • creates a masterpiece
  • redeems itself and is a bro again

Last edited by a moderator:

canakin

Cipher
People can say what they want about Troika's games releases but you kids were probably all too young to remember that people just like you all killed that company. You all did the same to other great rpg developers that did not make your Asian games with no substance or complexity.

And what complexity do your precious Troika games or TToN offer?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
LOL, blaming the world's #1 Tim Cain fanclub for Troika going broke.

And yeah, you got us: we only like Planescape: Torment because it's actually a JRPG and has those sweet Final Fantasy summon animations.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Infinitron usually posts if the ip address of the offending interweb personality, if suspicious, yet he's uncharacteristicaly silent.

I was expecting some serious damage control, but maybe he's actually playing the game and can't really defend it?

Or he's working on his resume for that new PR position at inXile. :kingcomrade:

hello friend

Arcane
All of your accumulatio really hurts. Like really bad. Owey!

There is just a bunch of ad baculum and ab hominem arguments.

You guys are unreasonable and eristic.

People can say what they want about Troika's games releases but you kids were probably all too young to remember that people just like you all killed that company. You all did the same to other great rpg developers that did not make your Asian games with no substance or complexity.

There is literally no reason to argue with children and a few eristic adults. You guys have fun being angry rpg-haters. I'll have fun knowing you're all retards.

And like all the great rpg developers from before, and currently, your unreasonable hate is now causing me to go away.
Eyyo listen up my dude ill trade you a Cinderquill for a Squirter. Or I can do you an Oddish if you prefer.

I think that's a pretty fair deal.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Just a thought.
What about they will add more content after hearing general opinion of the whole game?

Because, White March (PoE DLC) was recieved as good DLC and expansion as a whole after second part. There was a lot of feedback and balance tweaks after the release.
So, maybe there will be DLC expansion for T:TON after it will recieve all the feedback from the main game and than decide how to proceede with it.
LOl! I dont think they can possibly afford to make something like white march. Torment absolutely bombed on steam and console sales are almost non existent, numbers are not even close to POE oh and they are also in the middle of developing BT4 and W3.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I know we're all speculating on 'what went wrong' here so my two cents is that the development process was really decentralised. One of the great things about the original Torment was how well it all hung together, nothing hangs together here. You get some good stuff in the Valley of Dead Heroes but the buildup is pretty dogshit. There doesn't feel like there's a unifying influence to the game. Or at least, it feels that the writers were told 'this here's the theme' and then left to their own devices to shite on on whatever they felt best represented that theme. There was no masterplanner sewing the whole thing together, more of a big brute slamming each part onto the next.

As Darth Roxor pointed out, they funneled the Numanuma funds into the development of Wasteland 2, with the intent of funneling the BT4 money into Numenera, but they got very few pledges for that. This is the end result.

Habbonovio

Educated
The game has many flaws, but let's try to not be delusional, it's not an offense to the genre and it's enjoyable.

Still, I can understand your anger if you kickstarted it or you paid the 45 german shekels Gaben asked for.

5fc86b39bf97112123922d349f227e1ebf26ae70a16f19979eb962554d3ccbf3.jpg

hexer

So Torment bombed, Deus Ex bombed, Baldur's bombed.. what's next on the list for devs to train wreck.. Vampire and Arcanum?
Is nothing sacred these days?

Parabalus

Arcane
Only good thing out of this TToN disaster is that I can say to the people that claimed TToN will be unaffected by console version to go Fuck yourselves losers, you know jack shit about jack shit!

I'm quite confident it still would have been shit without a console version, you can't polish a turd etc.

Lacrymas

Arcane
So Torment bombed, Deus Ex bombed, Baldur's bombed.. what's next on the list for devs.. Vampire and Arcanum?

If only they had made any of them good, maybe they wouldn't have bombed... It's quite a poetic justice in a sense though, their very intent of pleasing the popamole crowd for bigger sales is the thing that brings them down.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Only good thing out of this TToN disaster is that I can say to the people that claimed TToN will be unaffected by console version to go Fuck yourselves losers, you know jack shit about jack shit!

I'm quite confident it still would have been shit without a console version, you can't polish a turd etc.
I m still 99% sure that it all went downhill the second they decided to port it on consoles. It probably cost a lot more then they predicted therefore they had to cut VO, locations, simplify role playing system and combat.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So Torment bombed, Deus Ex bombed, Baldur's bombed.. what's next on the list for devs.. Vampire and Arcanum?

If only they had made any of them good, maybe they wouldn't have bombed... It's quite a poetic justice in a sense though, their very intent of pleasing the popamole crowd for bigger sales is the thing that brings them down.

None of these games bombed because they were bad. They bombed because their brands ultimately weren't as popular as people thought. If you paid attention to Torment's Early Access sales, this was all very predictable long before the butthurt of the final release.

Meanwhile D:OS 2 Early Access is over 100,000 and it's been out for less than half the time. Larian's going to do all right.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
If the nps in the game were "expanded depth npcs" i shudder to think what they would have looked like in not strech goal version.

& replying to all other comments about bland companions:

NWNkingmaker_zpskd07h4tv.png

This is a neverwinter nights module. Kingmaker. It's 10 hours long. There are so few screenshots of it on google I had to get my laptop out and sort this image out myself. You get to choose 2 out of 4 companions at the beginning of the game, all of whom are interesting and pretty unique in backstory and appearance (though their characters could be argued to be a bit stereotypical). In the above screeny you'll see the two I chose, a wererat and a fire dwarf. Seems like a fairly original and interestingly unique companion set-up to me...

Both have voice actors with lots of voice acting during the game. They regularly stop for banter and even argue with each other, sometimes with genuine lol moments. It wasn't perfect and they had no personal quests to solve, no romances (well... wererat!), no resolutions to their sad histories, but at the end of the game they were my buddies and I was protecting them with my life (even though I did consider letting the rat die at one point, playing in proper dead is dead mode, but that was more to do with NWN's shite party mechanics that an issue with the character).

Compare your TToN companions to these. Which of the two looks like a more 'fun', 'engaging', 'original', whatever word you like, companion set?

Turjan

Arcane
The last mention I found about the Oasis is from Feb 2015
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/1147075
BTW: Does anyone remember the Forge of the Night Sky? I remember there was an update about this location but cannot find it on the kcikstarter page:
forge_of_the_night_sky.jpg

There was also supposed to be that location :
ascension_of_kex-lianish.jpg
Those look like two locations from the mere where you meet Mazzoff, whatever the Merecaster's name was. The second location had the name Obsidian Plains or something like that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
None of these games bombed because they were "bad". They bombed because their brands ultimately weren't as popular as people thought. If you paid attention to Torment's Early Access sales, this was all very predictable long before the butthurt of the final release.

Meanwhile D:OS 2 Early Access is over 100,000 and it's been out for less than half the time. Larian's going to do all right.
Yeah, because Baldur's Gate isn't popular. I'm not sure about Deus Ex or Torment. Meanwhile, Larian sold a million copies of a brand basically nobody knows besides RPG enthusiasts. PoE is doing fine as well. Something doesn't gel well here. The quote marks around bad aren't needed, they are bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom