Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Parabalus

Arcane
This discussion about portraits just goes to show how shit the game is - nobody would think about them for more than a second if it weren't a complete dumpster fire.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This discussion about portraits just goes to show how shit the game is - nobody would think about them for more than a second if it weren't a complete dumpster fire.

Alternatively it goes to show not even Codex is safe from the forces of retardery, gaychat and decline.

bataille

Arcane
You don't understand. I mean the AoD portraits were painted this way to fit in this little world and be a part of it. This uniformity is one of the integral parts of the game's world. Nobody can afford an ornate dress, so they differentiate through the immanent human quality: personality and emotion. So, the portraits are perfectly serviceable, like a dilapidated building or a mud-covered orphan.

Real art is incomparably more interesting because it isn't in servitude to some narrative that happens to be playing in the foreground. It's limited only by the artist himself, and is not constrained by something that goes before it.

What waffle. Go and write for inXile.

Don't sulk, my love, I just might outline a waffle-based narrative that would go well with that beautiful face of yours. You can decide who will serve whom. And I promise: no oil.

1-1.jpg

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
InXile has better portraits than those overpainted photos:
Matkina.jpg
b22af8faf13c17f6e425641baeb6fe.png

But probably somebody's niece wanted to be vidya gaem artists or something like that.

This is something that doesn't make sense. These portraits here are perfectly fine, and they already had them finished. Why were they switched at the last moment with worse replacements? I can understand cutting content that is incomplete or terrible, but these portraits here fall in neither category. If there's a problem with inXile's art direction, it lies with whoever decided to make the last minute change, rather than the artists themselves... because clearly whoever made these was competent enough. Its just the replacement ones that shipped with the game that are mediocre/bad... but why? Why swap something good with something inferior if the good is already complete and ready? That is what makes no sense about all this.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

Exactly. PS:T portraits are horrible 3D shit and you just forget about them because the game is so good.

We need an article on the state of portraits in CRPGs, after the excellent one about the state of writing.
Darth Roxor, can we count on you?

Probably not. He even gave up making a review for T:ToN.

:negative:

Prime Junta

Why were they switched at the last moment with worse replacements?

My theory: that artist didn't do Rhin or Erritis, and wasn't available/they couldn't pay for him/her when it was time to make them. So they had Fargo's niece do all of them over instead.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Probably not. He even gave up making a review for T:ToN.

:negative:

I kinda agree with him there, devs constantly make the same mistakes over and over again, so the review won't be anything different. It feels pointless to repeat yourself a bajillion times.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
That would be pretty dumb, didn't they know they'd need portraits for them when they did the others?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I kinda agree with him there, devs constantly make the same mistakes over and over again, so the review won't be anything different. It feels pointless to repeat yourself a bajillion times.

You need to consider the state of the Codex itself. If you don't make a point about these things, a few months from now a new wave of T:ToN deniers will try to argue that it was a classic that was misunderstood. Hell, even with all the fight about PoE there are a bunch of people from the staff giving PoE 4s and 5s. Don't take these things lightly. Decline is real, and its main cause is lack of taste. We are talking about the struggle for the soul of the Codex.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

You need to consider the state of the Codex itself. If you don't make a point about these things, a few months from now a new wave of T:ToN deniers will try to argue that it was a classic that was misunderstood. Hell, even with all the fight about PoE there are a bunch of people from the staff giving PoE 4s and 5s. Don't take these things lightly. Decline is real, and its main cause is lack of taste. We are talking about the struggle for the soul of the Codex.

POE (aka Loading time simulator 2015) is already better than BG for lot of folks here.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
but i've already posted my review of tton

altho for some reason it didnt make it to the front page

The staff is shilling again? That's too much!

MAKE BUTTHURT GREAT AGAIN!

EDIT: Infinitron rated my post "retarded" LOL

Last edited:

Mikeal

Arcane
I really love design of vaults in VoFH. Pure genius, teleporting between small as hell locations, when loading times is twice as long as staying in the vault. And in 99,999999% of the vaults are only banters from fundators. Great design, really great. :ehue: Also I thought that that Castoff's Sanctuary will be bigger. Well at least Dendra O'Hur guy and Meres were funny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom