Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
not being able to follow up on what you learn from scan thoughts quite often.

This is so fucking frustrating.

ToN feels like a shell of what could be an interesting game:

The use of tides and the ability to scan thoughts in dialogues should offer a bunch of opportunities. They don’t.

The combat could be interesting if you had any real classes and character building. You don’t.

The skill checks are the meat of the game and can be abused.

Red Rogue

Learned
First autistic complaint: You have to click on the crier to get his information but a merchant shouts at you about his wares on the same map.

Resuming saved game from the beta worked and so are achievements.

I can't see console players enjoying this.

Because the game is clunky and would be difficult to navigate on consoles?
Or because it's not a game that would typically cater to console players?

agris

Arcane
Patron
not being able to follow up on what you learn from scan thoughts quite often.

This is so fucking frustrating.

ToN feels like a shell of what could be an interesting game:

The use of tides and the ability to scan thoughts in dialogues should offer a bunch of opportunities. They don’t.

The combat could be interesting if you had any real classes and character building. You don’t.

The skill checks are the meat of the game and can be abused.
it plays a lot like a simple adventure game. absent the kickstarter campaign, I would not have considered this an RPG. More like RPG mechanics (class, skills) poorly adapted to a linear adventure game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Scan Thoughts being mostly cosmetic is likely an intentional design decision to prevent Nanos being the must-play god class (any more than they already are)

Shadenuat

Arcane
So a loli Myron with a godrock and Erritis are the only really weird companions game has to offer of any interest?
I'm also keeping Matkina because she is op when it comes to gold skill checks.

And where's all the companion dialogue? Are they so front loaded I feel they are?

agris

Arcane
Patron
So a loli Myron with a godrock and Erritis are the only really weird companions game has to offer of any interest?
I'm also keeping Matkina because she is op when it comes to gold skill checks.
i am very interested in this 'godrock', what is it?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
it plays a lot like a simple adventure game. absent the kickstarter campaign, I would not have considered this an RPG. More like RPG mechanics (class, skills) poorly adapted to a linear adventure game.

The only thought that crossed my mind is how much content they had to cut. They end up cutting a lot of stuff and it shows.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron

The only thought that crossed my mind is how much content they have to cut. They end up cutting a lot of stuff and it shows.
yeah it feels like european shovelware in some ways

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wait a minute, where in the holy fuck are my backer rewards? My address has been updated and confirmed on the backer site for years now.

Someone link me to the inevitable sincere, heartfelt post in which some developer tenderly explains why they couldn't possibly ship out the rewards until after the game's released.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Infinitron play it. remove your appologies and any preconceived notions and it ain't a great polished game. from the busy UI to half-baked gameplay components, that's practically the definition of shovelware. the entire crisis combat system is lame, it's the fucking 2-action system from nuXcom! I know how much old-school RPG and strategy gamers loooooove 2 action TB combat. Regardless, it feels half-baked.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Wait a minute, where in the holy fuck are my backer rewards? My address has been updated and confirmed on the backer site for years now.

Someone link me to the inevitable sincere, heartfelt post in which some developer tenderly explains why they couldn't possibly ship out the rewards until after the game's released.

Trying to get them on eBay before the price goes down?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Don't fucking give other people ideas, you ass!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron play it. remove your appologies and any preconceived notions and it ain't a great polished game. from the busy UI to half-baked gameplay components, that's practically the definition of shovelware. the entire crisis combat system is lame, it's the fucking 2-action system from nuXcom! I know how much old-school RPG and strategy gamers loooooove 2 action TB combat. Regardless, it feels half-baked.

OK so Arcanum is shovelware too? (and "European" to boot?) You're using that term to be edgy.

But tbh what really annoys me is that I hate to see smart people encouraging Lurker King

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Better now before people wise up on the game's quality.

Nah, so far I think I'll stick to this one voluntarily as opposed to being forced to keep the W2 one because nobody's buying it. :negative:

agris

Arcane
Patron
OK so Arcanum is shovelware too? (and "European" to boot?) You're using that term to be edgy.

Ok, geographic-agnostic shovelware. I've played my share of it, and game features with this level of inconsistent support and utilization fit the bill. I haven't played/beaten Arcanum since it was released ("HARM!") but it didn't strike me as incomplete in the same way TToN does. I'm not even saying I hate it, although the writing is pretty damn bad and the RPG components aren't elevating it.

Really, viewing it as a simplistic linear adventure game is the best way to avoid disappointment. I don't say this to be edgy or counter-cultural, i'm playing it and that's how it strikes me.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
it plays a lot like a simple adventure game. ... a linear adventure game.
I don't want to debate anything about TTON's merits, but I've always found this Codex meme (which is often applied to PS:T and jRPGs) dumb. Adventure games are not RPGs without combat. That description might hold for some very "streamlined" modern adventure games, but you could just as easily describe those games as platformers without platforming. The heart of adventure games are environmental and inventory-based puzzles, which are basically entirely lacking in PS:T or jRPGs. Moreover, linear adventure games are really linear -- vastly more linear than any RPG. They tend to offer two or three rooms that you can explore at a time before going to the next one, with no choice in where to go or when.

agris

Arcane
Patron
it plays a lot like a simple adventure game. ... a linear adventure game.
I don't want to debate anything about TTON's merits, but I've always found this Codex meme (which is often applied to PS:T and jRPGs) dumb. Adventure games are not RPGs without combat. That description might hold for some very "streamlined" modern adventure games, but you could just as easily describe those games as platformers without platforming. The heart of adventure games are environmental and inventory-based puzzles, which are basically entirely lacking in PS:T or jRPGs. Moreover, linear adventure games are really linear -- vastly more linear than any RPG. They tend to offer two or three rooms that you can explore at a time before going to the next one, with no choice in where to go or when.
Wait, what? PST is very much an adventure game wherein you're piecing environmental and character-specific knowledge together, some of which are controlled by RPG-derived statistics, to advance a story. PST has, broadly, a more non-linear approach to how this information is collected, assembled and employed to advance the story as compared to TToN.

You point that "That description might hold for some very "streamlined" modern adventure games" fits perfectly for TToN, based on what I've played. It's all environmental interaction and dialogue choice selection, with a smattering of RPG-derived stat checks gating dialogue options, implemented in in a much more linear package (as compared to PST). You could describe Sagus Cliffs as nonlinear in the same vein as Sigil, but that's doing Sigil a huge disservice.

Jinn

Arcane
I've been playing it for about 5-6 hours now, and I haven't felt that it plays like a linear adventure game. I do agree that going into it expecting something more on the side of an adventure game would be a good way to manage expectations. Looking at it that way, I must say that I would probably play a lot more adventure games if they were like this. I actually enjoy the non-combat mechanics and think they're pretty interesting overall (as long as you don't resort to save-scumming, which I haven't even thought of doing yet in this game). The stat integration into these systems seems rather simplistic, but it hasn't bothered me yet.

Overall impression so far: having a really nice time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom