Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Discussion in 'inXile Entertainment' started by Florian Gheorghe, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Lahey Laheyist Patron

Lahey
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    From the comments:
    The "current year" of arguments in relation to a reviewer's legitemacy. Too few and you didn't play enough to provide an informed opinion. Too many and you must be lying about not having enjoyed the experience.

Your haiku is shit though.

^ Top  
  3. Sigourn Futa Lover

Sigourn
    [​IMG]

I should have known.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    It's not a haiku (count the syllables) and the author of the little poem is Doctor Roxxxor anyway - I shamelessly stole/paraphrased it.

Also, I played for 1 hour and fell asleep for 23 hours straight with the game on.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    You mean Tier One status?

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Should have known what? That's just me (circa 2015) taking a sip of coffee while playing gaymes. Also, you are in the Hall of Shame for your bad posts and taste, I had to click "Show ignored content' to see this.

If you want more pics, I posted dozens on Codex Members Pictures thread in GD. Have fun!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Ulfhednar Learned

Ulfhednar
    I was trying to be discreet, but yes... that is what I meant.

^ Top  
  8. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Discretion is for the weak.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Gicusan Educated

Gicusan
    Finally got to play the game and finish it this summer and... game is good. More than good. Less than most of us hoped fore but, realistically, it could have been much worse. No idea how it was on launch but now is playable and fun.

• [citation needed] x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. prodigydancer Arcane In My Safe Space

prodigydancer
    What I find especially irritating is broken reactivity. Often tidal dialogue options are just shortcuts that break the normal flow of the conversation. E.g. [Raises Blue Tide] "Your story doesn't add up." -> "Hey, I've already told you ..." No, you haven't. So much for those carefully drawn dialogue trees they boasted about in the KS updates. /sigh

Nigga, please. Just because it could be worse, doesn't make it good. And it couldn't really be much worse, to be honest.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    In the purely academical interest of determining just how much of a flop the game was, does anyone know how many slacker backers T:ToN ended up having?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    ^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    ^ Top  
  13. prodigydancer Arcane In My Safe Space

prodigydancer
    I wonder how many of them are now satisfied customers. Emotionally, playing TToN is much like ending up on a date with a cardboard cutout. Except that with TToN it's slightly harder to explain why you didn't get the real deal and what exactly the real deal would be. But otherwise it's the same. And the more you paid for the dubious privilege, the more likely people will just laugh at your misfortune.

On a broader scale, it's just a side effect of the poisonous business model that is killing the video game industry as a whole: a childish culture of caveat emptor combined with a not at all subtle message that unless enough people pre-order, the game won't be released at all. It turns out that crowdfunding isn't the antidote. Not in its current state, anyway. Kickstarter needs tighter rules. If you don't deliver an enjoyable product you should be punished even if nominally all promised features have been implemented (which is obviously not the case with Tides of Cut Content).

Then again, I've seen many positive reviews - they can't all be written by shills, so at least some people genuinely like this game. I'm not sure how anyone can like a text-based adventure where the journal is basically a walkthrough, but the fact remains.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. StaticSpine Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Something enjoyable for you may be not enjoyable for someone else and vice versa. This is not a criteria.

^ Top  
  16. prodigydancer Arcane In My Safe Space

prodigydancer
    There are no perfect solutions and I'm not trying to find one. But there is such thing as general consensus. Do you really think TToN would win, say, a two-thirds vote among its backers? I'm a firm believer in democracy, transparency and accountability and KS doesn't offer any of those things. Initially it was nice as it was simply because it was an alternative to publisher funding but many of once touted projects failed or nearly failed in the end. KS needs to evolve if they want to remain relevant.

^ Top  
  17. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Design an alternative system that is better, then.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    One thing I really love in this game are the meres. Most of them are very well written and I just love the vibe of them... the illustrations and music help a lot.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    They're a bit overwritten if you ask me. Some of them are decent, though.

^ Top  
  20. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    I thought they were mostly boring crap. Pretty much just poor replacements for actual game areas.

And particularly in this game they're actually really stupid... hey, look, you do more of the exact same thing you in the normal game, but with no graphics! Profit!

^ Top  
  21. Gicusan Educated

Gicusan
    Still, I had fun on the current version. This one had some good stories, some strange ones and most of them ok-ish. I rate it above some Pillars of Eternity crap.

^ Top  
  22. HeatEXTEND Cipher Patron

HeatEXTEND
    Some shits are better then others :smug:

^ Top  
  23. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Anyone who blasphemes against Sawyer will have to be shot.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Ulfhednar Learned

Ulfhednar
    Fig proves that not all evolutions are beneficial.

^ Top  
  25. YES! Hi, I'm Roqua Dumbfuck

YES!
    I just checked to see if the rabbid rpg hating console children's game lovers are still dominating the narrative of this game and saw your post first. It is good to see this site attracts some free thinkers willing to try and decide something on their own without just jumping on one band wagon or another. Personally, the game was much better than I was expecting, but only people who truly do not like real rpgs could not like this. The same people had the same reaction to every game Troika put out too, and history proved them wrong like it will with this game and WL2 DC. Its just a shame the good developers are the ones to get damaged by their hate mongering hissy fits.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.