Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thanks to its more than 90,000 backers
I wonder how many of them are now satisfied customers. Emotionally, playing TToN is much like ending up on a date with a cardboard cutout. Except that with TToN it's slightly harder to explain why you didn't get the real deal and what exactly the real deal would be. But otherwise it's the same. And the more you paid for the dubious privilege, the more likely people will just laugh at your misfortune.

On a broader scale, it's just a side effect of the poisonous business model that is killing the video game industry as a whole: a childish culture of caveat emptor combined with a not at all subtle message that unless enough people pre-order, the game won't be released at all. It turns out that crowdfunding isn't the antidote. Not in its current state, anyway. Kickstarter needs tighter rules. If you don't deliver an enjoyable product you should be punished even if nominally all promised features have been implemented (which is obviously not the case with Tides of Cut Content).

Then again, I've seen many positive reviews - they can't all be written by shills, so at least some people genuinely like this game. I'm not sure how anyone can like a text-based adventure where the journal is basically a walkthrough, but the fact remains.
Something enjoyable for you may be not enjoyable for someone else and vice versa. This is not a criteria.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Something enjoyable for you may be not enjoyable for someone else and vice versa. This is not a criteria.
There are no perfect solutions and I'm not trying to find one. But there is such thing as general consensus. Do you really think TToN would win, say, a two-thirds vote among its backers? I'm a firm believer in democracy, transparency and accountability and KS doesn't offer any of those things. Initially it was nice as it was simply because it was an alternative to publisher funding but many of once touted projects failed or nearly failed in the end. KS needs to evolve if they want to remain relevant.

Starwars

Arcane
One thing I really love in this game are the meres. Most of them are very well written and I just love the vibe of them... the illustrations and music help a lot.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One thing I really love in this game are the meres. Most of them are very well written and I just love the vibe of them... the illustrations and music help a lot.
They're a bit overwritten if you ask me. Some of them are decent, though.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I thought they were mostly boring crap. Pretty much just poor replacements for actual game areas.

And particularly in this game they're actually really stupid... hey, look, you do more of the exact same thing you in the normal game, but with no graphics! Profit!

Gicusan

Educated
Still, I had fun on the current version. This one had some good stories, some strange ones and most of them ok-ish. I rate it above some Pillars of Eternity crap.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Still, I had fun on the current version. This one had some good stories, some strange ones and most of them ok-ish. I rate it above some Pillars of Eternity crap.

Anyone who blasphemes against Sawyer will have to be shot.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Finally got to play the game and finish it this summer and... game is good. More than good. Less than most of us hoped fore but, realistically, it could have been much worse. No idea how it was on launch but now is playable and fun.

I just checked to see if the rabbid rpg hating console children's game lovers are still dominating the narrative of this game and saw your post first. It is good to see this site attracts some free thinkers willing to try and decide something on their own without just jumping on one band wagon or another. Personally, the game was much better than I was expecting, but only people who truly do not like real rpgs could not like this. The same people had the same reaction to every game Troika put out too, and history proved them wrong like it will with this game and WL2 DC. Its just a shame the good developers are the ones to get damaged by their hate mongering hissy fits.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Kill yourself, retard.
If this and W2 are modern classics or whatever the fuck you called them then the RPG genre is shit and should die and never exist again.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Or you are a little child and lack perspective, taste, and an adult comprehension. Either or. I'm guessing the latter because come on.

Only enlightened beings can understand the game of T:ToN. If you were expecting a real RPG with tactical gameplay challenges, compelling characters and a coherent, well-written story then you should sublimate your fleshly desires and embrace the truth - there is no game. Then you'll see that it was not InXile who produced this shit stain on the legacy of PS:T, but only your love affair with Colin McComb.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

That applies to the entire game - many individual quests are expertly written and engaging. It's the top level stuff that falls flat. The game fails to answer the most basic question of why should you even continue playing. It doesn't give you any compelling reason to go from quest to quest. You just feel like you're pushing through it for the sake of it, and occasionaly stumbling upon well written piece doesn't change that. That's what's really, truly sad about this whole fiasco, there's a lot of great content in this game that will go largely forgotten in a few years. Bloom in particular is one of the best areas in any RPG in existence, but by the time you reach it, you already don't give a shit.

Starwars

Arcane
I agree that the whole story is a huge disappointment (especially in comparison to PS:T) but eh... for me it doesn't detract much from the stuff that is good. I mean, obviously it is a disappointment and such a waste really. But there is still good stuff in there to be enjoyed.

Prime Junta

I agree that the sauce is made of diarrhoea (especially in comparison to a real bolognese) but eh... for me it doesn't detract much from the great meatballs. I mean, obviously it is a disappointment and such a waste really. But there is still good stuff in there to be enjoyed.

Starwars

Arcane
Good comparison there. Obviously the same thing! Not at all like enjoying Arcanum despite the terrible combat, or Mask of the Betrayer despite the... well, terrible combat and horrible camera. Bloodlines except it being horribly unfinished and janky. Hell, PS:T despite the shitty combat and horrendous Curst/Carceri sections.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Ehm, the ratio of shit to good is quite different here. Here you have to swim through shit to get the to the good parts, in the others you mention you usually just step into it. Ok, occasionally you step in a puddle, but still nothing you could drown in.

Starwars

Arcane
Certainly not how I would describe it. And even if it were true, definitely not to the point where people masturbate their dicks off for Arcanum for example but think Numenera is the worst thing in the entire world.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

There is some truth there of course, but I don't think it's quite that drastic. I mean, aside from being the disappointment for not meeting the advertised qualities, the game is pretty much good for what it is and a bit more here and there.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Certainly not how I would describe it. And even if it were true, definitely not to the point where people masturbate their dicks off for Arcanum for example but think Numenera is the worst thing in the entire world.

Definitely not the worst thing in the world, can't beat PoE there. :smug:

But otherwise, there can be no comparison between this and Arcanum. They're so far apart, this might as well be the worst thing in the world.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Or you are a little child and lack perspective, taste, and an adult comprehension. Either or. I'm guessing the latter because come on.

Only enlightened beings can understand the game of T:ToN. If you were expecting a real RPG with tactical gameplay challenges, compelling characters and a coherent, well-written story then you should sublimate your fleshly desires and embrace the truth - there is no game. Then you'll see that it was not InXile who produced this shit stain on the legacy of PS:T, but only your love affair with Colin McComb.

Are you saying PST had tactical gameplay challenges? If so, I end my case. Your well written story has little to do with if a game is a good game or not. I don't expect my books, movies, shows or plays to be good games, but I do expect my games to be good games. Which means if it has a dearth of any sort of challenge, shit mechanics, and shit chardev it is a shitty game. Sure, a shitty game can tell a good story, but the best storytelling mediums are not games. Gary Gygax himself stated if the game is being directed it isn't a roleplaying game. A good rpg lets you tell a story, not have a story told to you.

As for compelling characters I fail to see it in PST. Who is compelling? Mort the head thing was okay, but the rest did nothing for me. The sword elf-like magic guy was a hack character, the thief lady was a hack, the demon vampire lady was a hack, the robot guy was a hack, the fire guy goes beyond hack to fucking joke land, and if there are others they are so forgettable I forgot them. As for non party members who was good? The only one I found interesting was witch lady. Some had potential like the demon skull thing that wants to destroy everything because of apathy, but it was too much too soon and too obvious.

TToN had good mechanics, good chardev, and a much higher challenge throughout than PST did. The challenge can't be argued. PST had click and watch RTwP that was so easy it literally is the cause of me not ever being able to finish the game. The combat is just too much and too boring to slog through. It requires almost no player input through 99% of the combat. This is not true for TToN. As proof, my wife, who loves Donkey Kong games and games with hidden objects as the whole fucking game (seriously, there are games that are kind of expensive just about finding hidden objects, tons of them) and other shit for consoles and monkey idiots more than real games played PST. It is one of the only real games I ever got her to play. It is a great inteductory rpg for people with shit tastes in games because it is so easy and interesting to people who generally like shit. My wife also watches almost every reality show and all the singing and dancing shows. She has pure shit taste. She likes nothing good. Look how much I am hated on this site and she still had the poor taste to marry someone as hated by fake rpg loving idiots like me. Poor taste. I told her about TToN and she wanted to play it and she hated it because she sucks at thinking games. She couldn't figure out the stats, equipment, chardev, combat, or anything. Why? Because real rpgs shouldn't be easy. They shouldn't be for the dumb.

But, does any of this matter? I like TToN, you like PST. I have a lot of criticism for PST, you have it for TToN. As the saying goes, only mediocrity escapes criticism. Since I have impeccable taste and the crpg equivalent of a sophisticated palate. Like Zelda, Donkey Kong and Pokeman it would be impossible to argue that PST isn't popular in the general rpg circles. Tyranny of the masses/center and all that.

I think PST is an important game and the rpg community is richer for it having been made. PST is the game I recommend to people who I try and get into rpgs, because it is so compelling to people who are not familiar with rpgs. It is the Harry Potter of rpgs. TToN is more like Wolfe's "Book of the New Sun" series. Different, definitely not for kids or people new to the genre or anything but the advanced or bright kids. Not for slow adults either.

I can see the anger of why people who love PST don't like TToN. They were promised Harry Potter and they got adult thinking stuff. I get angry with shit like this too. When a new TDE game was announced back in mid 00s or around then I was furios because they were making a BG clone instead of a RoA type game. But, Drakensang 2 was a pretty good game. It had shit combat but had good chargen and dev and combat was easy no matter what you did but it went faster if I used abilities which as a step in the right direction for RTwP.

What I am trying to say is we can argue about which game is shit because both games are not mediocre. I never read Harry potter because I have good taste and was in my early 20s when it came out and grew out of liking shit for kids much younger than that, but lots of slow adults love it. My kids love the shit out of Harry Potter. Books and movies. I even had to watch some of these film atrocities with those little shitheads. All three were scared by some of them even though it makes no sense to be so. Some shit is inexplicable to the mature adult mind with good taste, like how anyone claiming to like rpgs couldn't like TToN. But this thread is a testament to just how shitty the taste of this community is, or highlights that they are children with sophomoric taste stuck in the Harry potter phase of life and not ready for the Book of the New Sun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom