Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Discussion in 'inXile Entertainment' started by Florian Gheorghe, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    I wanted to respond to this with the 'meh' emote but it isn't there. Please give emoticon quest compass

• meh meh x 6
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
  3. ThoseDeafMutes Learned

ThoseDeafMutes
    Tyranny demolishing it in long term sales was the biggest surprise for me. An out-of-nowhere RTwP RPG in an original setting with a frankly pretty bad marketing campaign (I honestly thought it was a campy Overlord type game based on the initial press) has managed to pull 200k sales to date. It was looking close there for a while, but now Tyranny is far, far ahead of Torment's sales. Based on the number of backers it had, it seems like kickstarter was responisible for the lion's share of "owners" for Numenera on steam, too. Absolute trainwreck from a commercial standpoint.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    • The whole effort system
    • The idea of an PS:T spiritual successor
    • The implementation of Numenera.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. HeatEXTEND Cipher Patron

HeatEXTEND
    FYP, np.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    He was asking about PS:T, not TTON.

^ Top  
  7. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Unfortunately this does not impact just Inxile. TTON flopping means that, apart from extreme indies, there will be nothing risky done in this genre for another decade.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    There's a wide spectrum between taking something seriously (perhaps too seriously) and whimsical goblins.
    Any developer looking at inXile failing and going "well I better not develop this cool risky game I had in mind" wouldn't be able to make a good game in the first place. Good developers know they're better than inXile.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    And then he'll go to the publisher or CEO to ask for funds, he will be denied because "the last one sold crappy", and that will be the end of it.

^ Top  
  10. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    I really don't think that would be the case. Unless you mean internally at inXile in which case who gives a shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Sizzle Arcane

Sizzle
    The only thing T:ToN irrefutably proves is that game studios don't need publishers to fuck things up - they can manage that all on their own :D

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    FYP++

^ Top  
  13. HeatEXTEND Cipher Patron

HeatEXTEND
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  14. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Fargo is a salesman. He can get past that kind of stuff.

^ Top  
  15. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Like this needed proving?

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    I was name-searching myself elsewhere and found a couple of Obsidian forum clowns crying about my review of The Red Hand, which reminded me of these ancient posts from April 2016.

Final result: They needed more than seven months and they were good to go after nearly three additional months (seems less and less likely there will ever be another patch). Another nearly accurate Roguey assessment!

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    What's a patch even going to do now? Nothing short of a complete remake would give this any chance and that's not gonna happen. Even if they had the funds to do it, I'm still not sure they figured out what was wrong with it.

But speaking of patches, though, I wonder if in the last patch (which I didn't try) fixed one of the bugs I discovered. It was with that woman that can teleport the kid companion to another time. When she did that you get moved with her to the teleporter but she actually duplicates and a copy remains in here initial spot so when you talked to her the camera kept switching between that spot and your party near the teleporter.

^ Top  
  18. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    :prosper:

PS:T was pretty pulpy.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Athelas I was referring to bugs. :M

^ Top  
  20. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    He was refering to your pride in a correct assessment posted along with a catastrophically poor prediction

^ Top  
  21. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    But it wasn't a poor prediction? Tides of Numenera is now as polished as it gets.

^ Top  
  22. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    T:ToN's perceived lack of polish in certain areas (combat speed, interface, etc.) has been one of the focal points of criticism.

^ Top  
  23. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    All right, but considering what I was responding to ("+1.5 years of patching.") and the full context of my post, I was only referring to how long it would take it to get patched into something that's not a mess.

^ Top  
  24. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Yes, I'm sure the brief period of post-launch support had nothing to do with the game commercially underperforming to such a degree that its sales couldn't justify allocating more budget to future patches, no matter how much they were needed.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    ^ Top  
  25. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Any remaining big issues could probably be knocked out with an additional three months of work, which would fall within my estimate.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.