Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Discussion in 'inXile Entertainment' started by Florian Gheorghe, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    There are some critical issues that can't be fixed even with a spit-and-shine.

^ Top  
  2. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Moving the goal posts. Polish or not, the game is bad, not "solid"

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    I used the word solid only in regard to the state of its code.

^ Top  
  4. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    When I said Ruins of Myth Drannor was gonna be the best game ever I just meant "compared to E.T. on the Atari"

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    Roguey is the best poster ever.

• Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. circ Arcane

circ
    TTON risky. LUL sure.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    A RPG that takes place in a non-traditional fantasy setting where there are only about a dozen fights and most of your time is spent reading would be considered a higher than usual risk by most investors, yes.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    True, but that doesn't mean investors won't take other kinds of risks.

^ Top  
  9. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    Well yeah, but OTOH a sequel to a cult classic with a fanatically dedicated fanbase, budgeted exactly to match the size of that fanbase...? It's all in the point of view mang

^ Top  
  10. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Then again, if Pillars is any indication, the trick is to cater the sequel to the people who hated the original game.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    AoD did well so suck on that, investors.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    AoD has fewer owners on Steam than Torment...

• decline decline x 4
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    gog, direct purchase etc, etc. and no kickstarter to boot.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    AoD is also on GOG, and it's also a $30 game compared to Torment's $45, and it's been out for nearly two years now compared to Torment's half year.

It did *okay* for a low budget indie game developed by a tiny team. Its numbers don't tell you anything about games with multi-million dollar budgets.

^ Top  
  15. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Hang on back the fuck up.

Oh, you were talking about Torment?

Well then, carry on.

^ Top  
  16. IncendiaryDevice Self-Ejected Village Idiot

Self-Ejected
    It might not have been "we can have bad combat because PS:T had bad combat" but there was no need to dedicate so much time to combat as fans of PS:T don't play PS:T for the combat. The crisis system might well be an amazing system, therefore if you're going to spend that much effort on it then you might as well make a combat focused game. If the story and general non-combat gameplay and C&C were where the time and energy was fully dedicated then a simple turn-based combat system tagged-on would have, obviously, been far superior to mediocre everything.

You say it yourself "the crysis system was a huge investment of time and resources". Who the fuck would set about making a PS:T sequel and then immediately spend a huge amount of time and effort on a combat system. That's the exact opposite approach to the original game. People weren't backing an improved combat system, they were backing a story-focus cRPG in an unusual universe with lots of non-combat related activity. When these people added to their preferences "can you also please not make the combat shit" they were not saying "please can you also make the combat the focus of your time investment", they were saying "can combat just be regular turn-based D20-like mechanics please".

The crisis system might well be a great idea to build a game around, but probably not a sequel to a game with expectations, probably a whole new IP.

"more serious fare" BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Do you even have any sense of self-perception...

In what way, shape or form would you consider TToN to be more 'serious' fare than: Tyranny, Age of Decadence, Serpents in the Staglands, Underrail or any of the other recent cRPG attempts that all have perfectly respectable reputations on this site? Oh, you meant versus the AAA sales hunting market? In what way is TToN "more serious fare" than... I have no fucking idea what market your imagining TToN was supposed to go for with that comment.

You mean "the public" doesn't like independent derivative cRPGs that try to do things a bit differently? YOU MEAN LIKE UNDERTAIL?

Jesus, you can be a card sometimes.

Indeed.

Because TToN was the only cRPG in the last decade to take risks was it? Funny, I don't remember it even taking any risks, all I remember was people gave them millions of dollars and all them needing to do was partially immitate an already existing game. Who the fuck paid them to take these 'risks' in the first place?

Perhaps the lesson will be "don't take risks when people are paying you in advance not to do that" *facepalm*

You'd make a good fantasy writer. Well... maybe not a good one.

No, the risk was taking money in advance on the promise of something which carried expectations and then treating the game's production like an art-house experimental jam. What the game ended up being has fuck all to do with any risks with regard to what the end game turned out like because none of the investors were investing in a game where there's only a dozen combat encounters and just lots of reading, they were investing in a sequel to an existing game. If someone had pitched what the final game looked like via a time machine then it wouldn't have been a matter of taking risks, people who were interested in that product would have invested for that product. *facepalm*

AoD had less marketing budget.
    AoD didn't pay youtubers to shill for it
    AoD didn't have Infinitron shilling for it
    AoD didn't have $millions from kickstarters
    AoD is an entirely new IP
    AoD pleased the people it was supposed to please
    AoD has less expenses
    AoD doesn't get bumped every other day by people trying to cover-up figure out what's been painfully obvious since release.

But yeah, TToN has a larger total number of owners. Because it started with a 100,000 head start, duh.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Rage Rage x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. hogcranker Novice Patron

hogcranker
    Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I can't get past the first hour of this game.

It's like they wrote it to be based on the gamer dork reputation of what PS:T is (games are srs art u can do a novel but as a game hurrrr) instead of what it actually is (character-driven pulp fantasy exploring the furthest corners of a crazy setting).

If TToN is a good example of what Numenera content tends to look like I want nothing to do with the setting.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Novels are supposed to have good stories. Many of T:ToN's critics on this forum say that its main flaw is the lack of a strong main storyline, but that it does have many intricate sidequests that explore its crazy setting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. hogcranker Novice Patron

hogcranker
    Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I played the first hour, as I said. It was reams of sterile text like something out of one of those Amazon sci-fi novels with titles like "The Nth Coefficient of the Parallax Digidragon"

• Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    TTON's core narrative problem is combining action-ish main plot with snail pace gameplay. As in, they start you off with a sense of urgency and immediate threat, and follow it up with a world that requires meticulous and slow exploration. If evil monster is after me, why would I go around and spend my time reading descriptions of those strangely shaped pink rocks? Shouldn't I rather find a space shuttle and bolt to another planet or something?

It's so jarring, it kills your suspension of disbelief dead within first 30 minutes. After that there's no going back, you may keep playing, you may even enjoy many of the better written bits, but at the end it feels like you're forcing yourself through it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    this. I feel like the hook and storyline of most rpgs shoukd be this investigating thing, not some this high stake, time sensitive stuff like a giant death monster / looming threat chasing you.

Some of the best codex loved rpgs have this simole investigating hook where exploration makes sense:

Ps:t - you investigate who you are and why cant u die
    Fallout 1/2/new vegas: finding water chip: geck/ the dude who shot you in the head:

Bg2: the guy who tortured you and you friends.

Gothic 1: basically a giant find a way out! Game.

Of course, like all examples, there are exceptions like the recent expedition vikings where the hook is a looming threat, but the exploration context makes sense because you have to search for resources and stuff.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    RPG writers should just give up on longterm urgency altogether because it's either going to result in ludonarrative dissonance or irritation. This is not the genre for urgency (except in short bursts).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Rev Arcane

Rev
    AoD also didn't cost millions of dollars on top of the KS budget and didn't have a team of about 20-30 people working on it.
    And Iron Tower was a new software house making its first game ever, while inXile just made WL2 (which sold more than 600k copies on Steam alone) shortly before T:ToN and had some big names working on it as well as a lot of good press by a lot of major sites, unlike AoD.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Fry Arcane

Fry
    The fact WL2 sold 600K while T:ToN hovers around 130K fascinates me. Based on name recognition of the games they're based on alone, I would think Torment would do better. I mean, who talks about the original Wasteland? How is it more popular than what is generally acknowledged to be the best CRPG story ever? Is this genuinely a case of bad word-of-mouth steering people away from Torment?

^ Top  
  25. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Fargo made sure to talk about Fallout every chance he got.

• Agree Agree x 7
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.