Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The peak of Peak Sunday has passed, and Nu Torment was unable to even match its launch day peak. To quote Joe Biden, it is over.

Brian Fargo right now:

Brian Fargo in the near future when he makes some special trips to Detroit and Chiang Mai:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
After 12-13 hours of slogging through the first few areas, I finally hit something that impressed me in terms of writing - I found Rhin and kept her from the slavers. The first NPC without a loredump, and ironically her memory loss sounds cooler than the NPC's. Rothfus is an old bearded devil, managed to create attachment in the first few lines of text. The first thing I did once I got her into the party was try to get her medical help from the doctor nearby. The first NPC where I'm actually considering "What will happen to her? Will I be able to help her in the end?".

Nah, I think it'll just be forgotten. It's not interesting enough to be remembered that long.
Yep, and btw I think Tyranny will keep it company in the same place.

I mean the delusion that the oldies are actually terrible and we love them because nostalgia or whatever. That's ridiculous, you can still play them and see that they are better in almost every conceivable way.
I can vouch for this. My wife who is a complete newcomer to computer games (except HoMMIII) is currently playing IE games - I recommended BGII for a beginner to the genre. She says combat and magic are miles better than PoE of which she made one playthrough. She also loved Underrail, I think she nearly finished it, and played some AoD, though she can't progress much in it.

So it's not nostalgia, it's just good games made by people who were faithful to the PnP source, and who knew what PnP is and tried to approximate it, and then there people who are imitating the imitation, without really knowing why they are doing what they are doing.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Then why have writing at all? Everything should be like Larian are doing right now, approximations and indirect speech to indicate the flow of conversation.

I'm not complaining. Larian's style isn't minimalistic though.

Also, your logic is the other way around, it would be like having powerful-looking animations, but your character isn't powerful, i.e. the substance is missing.

If I pass a difficult skill check that opens up a mechanical advantage, how is that superficial?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I recommended BGII for a beginner to the genre. She says combat and magic are miles better than PoE of which she made one playthrough.

She's telling you what you want to hear.

(who would possibly recommend BG2 to a beginner to the genre)

Yeah, I don't think recommending BG2 to a newcomer is the wisest choice. I don't know what I would recommend though, I simply don't remember what my first RPG was. Maybe it was Neverwinter Nights. I was 9 when it came out, so it sounds plausible. Now that I think about it, NWN won't be a bad choice (not the OC though), since you only control 1 character and a newcomer won't be overwhelmed.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
http://steamcommunity.com/app/272270/discussions/0/133258593395684693/

Wondering how long it'll take for me to get banned from the Torment game forum.

goomba said:
Could it be that the game is just not that great? Is that even a possibility in your reality?

I see just as many useless positive reviews with nothing more than "good game must buy" or "10/10 would give girl to slavers again" or even "I'm giving this game a positive review just to counter all the negatives. It deserves better because I'm a special snowflake."

If we are going to play the conspiracy game I will suggest that the positive thumbs up reviews are being spammed by people with 0 play time and an agenda.

Oh, man. This is priceless!

AJ said:
The game isn't really bad if you like lots of reading

Fuck these people.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The writing on it gives the clue: bring up the colors in the right
clear.png
rainbow sequence.

Frustrating. Can't do it.
take front = deep violet hue
return front = bright orange
take left = lurid red
return left = deep violet
take right = dull orange
return right = blazing orange
take back = brilliant blue
return back = cool green
take bottom = shining yellow
return bottom = indigo

So the correct orders is this?

take left = lurid red
take right = dull orange
return back = cool green
return bottom = indigo

It doesn't work

GloomFrost

Arcane
Is this thread only for complaining, cause I'm pretty undecided about creating a nano or a jack and I could use your wisdom.

I'd like to hear about your characters and builds.
Hahaha what characters and builds are you talking about man?? You pick Nano at the beginning of the game and......... well that is pretty much it.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Lmao. Pillars went on -60% sale and they are currently on top 10 top sellers, with T:TON sitting sadly at #23.

Feargus you sneaky motherfucker, twisting the knife in Brian's back like this?

:slamdunk:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The writing on it gives the clue: bring up the colors in the right
clear.png
rainbow sequence.

Frustrating. Can't do it.
take left = lurid red
take right = dull orange
return back = cool green
return bottom = indigo

So the correct orders is this?

take left = lurid red
take right = dull orange
return back = cool green
return bottom = indigo

It doesn't work
Nvm, solved it.

take left = lurid red
take right = dull orange
return back = cool green
return bottom = indigo

Deleted member 7219

Lmao. Pillars went on -60% sale and they are currently on top 10 top sellers, with T:TON sitting sadly at #23.

Might not have been Obsidian's decision - although discounting PoE is a smart business move, while Torment is still being talked about, Paradox are still the publisher on Steam and are probably able to do sales whenever they want.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Realistic is what was already done and how often it was done before in former products and compare these with new ones. But adding up everything that was great / groundbreaking in all past rpgs and subtract everything that was bad or not well done in older rpgs to create that one uber-rpg in your mind that never existed and will never exist is not realistic.
Dude, I just expected a decent plot, decent characters and decent reactivity, if that is to expect too much from a game that dig Planescape Torment corpse to make 5 million dollars, I don't know what to say to you.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

A lot of BioWare games also got crazy price cuts on GOG and are currently just below Torment on the best selling list.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I am pretty sure PoE is over a million in total sales, I am curious why are Paradox or Obsidian not boasting about it.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I noticed how they're not rolling out updates every 2 hours. Could it be desire to be mod friendlier than obshitian?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Among the IE games, I'd say BGII is best suited for new players.

Planescape Torment is the absolute friendliest given how knowledge of the rules is unnecessary and death is no object. Then Baldur's Gate. I'd even say Icewind Dale is more new player friendly than BG2 since it doesn't start you with multiple levels and a bunch of a spells you have to read up on all at once.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Dude, I just expected a decent plot, decent characters and decent reactivity, if that is to expect too much from a game that dig Planescape Torment corpse to make 5 million dollars, I don't know what to say to you.

It seems that Fargo doesn’t know how to deal with money. Not only InXile must have a huge payroll, but they also wasted money hiring a bunch of people to write walls of text. Both PS:T and AoD were written by one writer, and both were better. InXile hire a bunch of people as if they were creating a literary masterpiece and deliver this disjointed poorly written mess.

Feargus "Business is Business" Urqhart

Turns out there's plenty of steel, hidden under that teddy bear costume Feargus is usually wearing.

The Jolly Hamster has shown his steel sharp teeth.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Among the IE games, I'd say BGII is best suited for new players.

Planescape Torment is the absolute friendliest given how knowledge of the rules is unnecessary and death is no object. Then Baldur's Gate. I'd even say Icewind Dale is more new player friendly than BG2 since it doesn't start you with multiple levels and a bunch of a spells you have to read up on all at once.
Very much no. Torment is not a good introduction to D&D, lots of reading, requires too much attention. BGI is too non-linear, a newbie will be confused. IWD is too difficult with a non-optimized party.

Full party creation is much more difficult than reading spell descriptions and memorizing spells.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom