Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism

It seems according to the average Steamtard and random IGN readers the Codex is both a tiny, irrelevant collection of bitter basement dwellers... and a large, motivated army ready to overwhelm voting systems and ruin otherwise awesome games like SoD and TTON through sheer force of numbers :salute:

Good job men
Makes me wonder if there was a starting point for that "RPG Codex did it" meme, or is it just usual mechanism with finding convenient bogeyman to blame.
That GAF thread about cut KS content that linked to Codex also had locals writing how RPG Codex regularly "bombs reviews".

Nah, it's just that the codex can't give positive ratings to a game anymore because of its circle-jerk bashing of games. It's just to tempting for the people here.
The only reason older games are still seen in a better light nowadyas is because they got praised highly in the past on this site. Otherwise people here would bashing these games, too. People here completely lost any sense of perspective what games can realistically deliver or delivered in the past.

Nope, it's just because Numrallah is a shit game.

Habbonovio

Educated
Is this thread only for complaining, cause I'm pretty undecided about creating a nano or a jack and I could use your wisdom.

I'd like to hear about your characters and builds.

Deleted member 7219

Shadowrun: Dragonfall got an almighty ass ripping here when it first launched. The Director's Cut was also greeted negatively by the same dipshits.

Now, it is seen as incline, so there you go.

In 5-10 years, Torment: Tides of Numenera will also be seen positively overall. But actually, I think the majority of Codexers do like the game, they are just too busy playing it to comment on it. We'll know for sure in the next Codex survey.

I'm only 5 hours in and I'm finding it quite boring so far, but I'm hoping things will improve. I'm not the kind of guy to write off a game straight away. If I was, I'd never have finished the original Torment, where the meat of the package was in the middle portion of the game.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

It seems according to the average Steamtard and random IGN readers the Codex is both a tiny, irrelevant collection of bitter basement dwellers... and a large, motivated army ready to overwhelm voting systems and ruin otherwise awesome games like SoD and TTON through sheer force of numbers :salute:

Good job men
Makes me wonder if there was a starting point for that "RPG Codex did it" meme, or is it just usual mechanism with finding convenient bogeyman to blame.
That GAF thread about cut KS content that linked to Codex also had locals writing how RPG Codex regularly "bombs reviews".

To be fair there is some weird shit going on Steam. Obviously It's not some conspiracy like the nutjobs on InXile forums seem to think. It's probably just some bored neckbeards with nothing to do, thinking that they fight an epic battle against big bad corporations. I've noticed quite a few very angry dudes, who were spilling some serious venom, but upon investigation it turned out they don't even own T:TON. :shittydog:

Strange times indeed when Codex turns out to be a more sane place than a mainstream forum attended by normies.

:martini:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
There's so much more int and int-related checks, it must really be an absolute fucking snoozefest if you're just blazing past everything. I rolled Jack and the game has serious issues, but it doesn't feel like visual novel with zero gameplay. So maybe playing a dumbass is the way to go this time.

Well, you can easly pass all the checks in the game thanks to party members and pool refilling items. And after a while, getting enough edge trivialize %90 of attribute checks. Only lines that hidden were though scan and that memory skill.

As a nano i passed all the smashing checks and beat the fastest monk alive. My ciphers and Erritis, Matkina couple easly destroys crisises.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
ITT people argue that the pre-written arguments they pick should be phrased more like something that makes them feel smart.

Personally, I don't give a fuck. They could just have written [Persuasion] and it would have been ok.

No, it's not about the player feeling smart, it's about the character BEING smart. Otherwise it's literally Fallout 3/4.

Nah, it's just that the codex can't give positive ratings to a game anymore because of its circle-jerk bashing of games. It's just to tempting for the people here.
The only reason older games are still seen in a better light nowadyas is because they got praised highly in the past on this site. Otherwise people here would bashing these games, too. People here completely lost any sense of perspective what games can realistically deliver or delivered in the past.

While this is obviously inane, I couldn't help but notice that it's brought up quite frequently. I mean the delusion that the oldies are actually terrible and we love them because nostalgia or whatever. That's ridiculous, you can still play them and see that they are better in almost every conceivable way. Especially PS:T. And they were made decades ago. Numenera being a dessicated abortion is not only plainly obvious by just playing the game, but it's also a fact that they cut out entire sections of the game. With a butcher's cleaver.

Morkar Left

People here completely lost any sense of perspective what games can realistically deliver or delivered in the past.

Can you specify what is realistic and what is not...

Realistic is what was already done and how often it was done before in former products and compare these with new ones. But adding up everything that was great / groundbreaking in all past rpgs and subtract everything that was bad or not well done in older rpgs to create that one uber-rpg in your mind that never existed and will never exist is not realistic.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
No, it's not about the player feeling smart, it's about the character BEING smart. Otherwise it's literally Fallout 3/4.

The character is smart because he passed a difficult skill check, not because of the wording. That's like saying your character isn't powerful because he defeats strong opponents but because his fighting animations look powerful.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shadowrun: Dragonfall got an almighty ass ripping here when it first launched. The Director's Cut was also greeted negatively by the same dipshits.

? There was a good amount of butthurt over Dead Man's Switch, but among those who stuck around for it, Dragonfall was an instant hit.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Realistic is what was already done and how often it was done before in former products and compare these with new ones. But adding up everything that was great / groundbreaking in all past rpgs and subtract everything that was bad or not well done in older rpgs to create that one uber-rpg in your mind that never existed and will never exist is not realistic.

What a mealy mouthed answer. I asked you to specify what you considered realistic, not regurgitate the same sentence in more words [fitting though that is to the topic]. Give some actual details, some specifics.

Morkar Left

What a mealy mouthed answer. I asked you to specify what you considered realistic, not regurgitate the same sentence in more words [fitting though that is to the topic]. Give some actual details, some specifics.

What's your specific point of view?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Played for about 30 minutes this evening. Geez, that intro is a slog. The writing seems p. banal and there's zero downtime between walls of texts. I probably won't play anymore. Disappointing.

As if the BG2 beginning or even the PST mortuary were much better. The beginning of PST was its weakest point in my opinion. The mortuary was also misleading about the tone of PST as a whole: it's fun and imaginative, not grimdark and morbid.
I found the Dustman Bar the most boring part. Mostly because it is a natural option for first visit after you leave Mortuary and it is a boring place at first sight. It is great if you come to later when you in the mood of lots of walls of text. Unfortunately TToN so far feels like endless Dustman Bar's wherever you go.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

What's your specific point of view?

I want to see the actual balance sheet accounting for where the $5,000,000+ went and on what over what time period.

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/272270/discussions/0/133258593395684693/

Wondering how long it'll take for me to get banned from the Torment game forum.

Oh, Codex, at it again.
evil_dex_2.gif

EDIT: fixed image hosting fuckery

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
How to take the sphere at the Order of the Truth?

Hate these puzzles, never understand them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The character is smart because he passed a difficult skill check, not because of the wording. That's like saying your character isn't powerful because he defeats strong opponents but because his fighting animations look powerful.

Then why have writing at all? Everything should be like Larian are doing right now, approximations and indirect speech to indicate the flow of conversation. Also, your logic is the other way around, it would be like having powerful-looking animations, but your character isn't powerful, i.e. the substance is missing.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
How to take the sphere at the Order of the Truth?

Hate these puzzles, never understand them.

The writing on it gives the clue: bring up the colors in the right
clear.png
rainbow sequence. And yeah, that one will drive you insane. Good loot from it though.

Night can't fall to talk to squid

Seriously, that one was a let down. "Hey you can talk to that squid at night." / There is actually no night in Numenera, unless you destroy some old clock.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom