Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

hexer

This game suffers from lack of sexy female models. This is something that a Director's Cut Edition can fix.

Fan mod "hentai meres" incoming in 3.. 2.. 1..

agris

Arcane
Patron
Bester are you still digging this? a lot of your non-patch related gripes of POE I shared, so I'm curious.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
VO is so rare it literally defeats the purpose of being there, because instead of adding immersion, when someone speaks up you're like, holy shit what just happened.

I sure as fuck hope it's a bug.
It's the same amount of VO IE games had. I don't get what your problem is.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Bester are you still digging this?
Yeah, I'm liking this game. I've got no idea what's the problem people have with this game. There's no filler combat. Story is ok so far, at least I see what my character's motivation is to keep going and doing stuff, unlike POE where it was like "- you're a watcher... -yeah, and so what?". Music is atmospheric, basically a copy of Torment 1, but it's fine. There's maybe too many dialogue descriptions and they're not particularly interesting, but you can just skip them with your eyes, there's no problem. Read the dialogues, don't consider yourself obliged to click on all dialogue options, and you're good. Just roleplay.

hexer

It's the same amount of VO IE games had. I don't get what your problem is.

That can't be true, this felt like a silent movie edition of IE games.
The game doesn't even have a VO for its antagonist FFS.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
this felt like a silent movie edition of IE games
Maybe because they had 8-10 voice sets for all non joinable NPCs in IE games, and here they don't? Doesn't bother me, I haven't noticed it until you mentioned it.

I don't know, I'm only 16 hours in, but I'm getting the feeling it's the same amount of VO for party members. Antagonist I haven't met yet.

hexer

this felt like a silent movie edition of IE games
Maybe because they had 8-10 voice sets for all non joinable NPCs in IE games, and here they don't? Doesn't bother me, I haven't noticed it until you mentioned it.

I don't know, I'm only 16 hours in, but I'm getting the feeling it's the same amount of VO for party members. Antagonist I haven't met yet.

And some of us are criticizing VO because of this particular video from 2015.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I can't seem to force myself to continue playing this game lol. Kinda like Tyranny.

Yeah seriously, WTF is with severe lack of VO? I feel they had more VO in the first alpha gameplay trailers than I managed to hear in the entire game. VO is so rare it literally defeats the purpose of being there, because instead of adding immersion, when someone speaks up you're like, holy shit what just happened.

I sure as fuck hope it's a bug.

Makes you wonder on what exactly they spent 5 million dollars (and that's only from crowd funding).
Full time wages for dev team to scratch balls for 4 years

Turjan

Arcane
I played a bit further today. I started with the Necropolis and finally reached the Bloom. The Endless Gate sequence has been the most taxing battle so far I think, although I have to say that I didn't really have any battles in the first ten hours or so of the game, except the tutorial one. The atmosphere in the Necropolis is pretty good. It also helps that I like the music there.

Miel Avest was mostly lame, even the end of it. This end didn't have any emotional impact because I just stood on a lawn with all interiors closed off and people I didn't care for. Also, the thing with the door my character opened was beyond stupid. The game did not allow me to tell anyone that I just followed the instructions that were posted directly next to the door. All possible answers were stupid. And why could nobody just close it again? Retarded.

The biggest letdown of the game so far was the plot twist. It started with what I think was one of the better meres, but then it went quickly downhill. It's not that I saw the plot twist coming (I didn't), but it was so lame. To explain, the twist was so lame that I had basically pushed the thought aside when it had crossed my mind before. Good grief.

Let's see how the Bloom will turn out.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Also forgot to mention, I think they dispersed quests quite well in the sense that it's not like in other games where you get quest A, and while completing it, you get assaulted with more quests, so by the time you finish it you've got quests B, C, D and E, and it goes in constant progression until you've got 20 quests in your quest log and you've got no idea what to do, and you've lost all emotional attachment to most of them.

In here, I always have just the right amount.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Bester are you still digging this?
Yeah, I'm liking this game. I've got no idea what's the problem people have with this game. There's no filler combat. Story is ok so far, at least I see what my character's motivation is to keep going and doing stuff, unlike POE where it was like "- you're a watcher... -yeah, and so what?". Music is atmospheric, basically a copy of Torment 1, but it's fine. There's maybe too many dialogue descriptions and they're not particularly interesting, but you can just skip them with your eyes, there's no problem. Read the dialogues, don't consider yourself obliged to click on all dialogue options, and you're good. Just roleplay.

I mostly agree your assessment so far (also about 15h in).

But even though I'm enjoying it a lot, I can't help but notice that doesn't not look like a $5 million game, It looks so barebones at times, it's like an EMP went off during the production and fried all of their computers, so they had to start all over from scratch. The cuts are visible to the naked eye, lack of bigger overarching quests, rushed main plot, non-existant VO, the fact that Oasis is basically gone (how the fuck entire major city ends up not existing), the gutted features. You can't help but wonder what the fuck happened?

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Also forgot to mention, I think they dispersed quests quite well in the sense that it's not like in other games where you get quest A, and while completing it, you get assaulted with more quests, so by the time you finish it you've got quests B, C, D and E, and it goes in constant progression until you've got 20 quests in your quest log and you've got no idea what to do, and you've lost all emotional attachment to most of them.

In here, I always have just the right amount.

Don't know what you are talking about. Here's an example:

Enter Cliff's End -> Talk to Mother Temaz and get Wayward Daughter quest -> go to Loss-of-Self and talk to her -> She tells to go to Fifth Eye -> in Fifth Eye I get the Advesary quest, A Call to Arms and Ashen Immitation.
Sounds like you get Quest A and while you do it, you get Quests B, C, D.

The same is true with Hidden Enemy. Talk to stichus -> go to Underbelly -> get some quest to steal sticha eggs.

The flow of quests maybe less overwhelming but that's because there aren't many quests (and most of them can be solved immediately).

DeepOcean

Arcane
I only noticed now, there are only three places on the entire Sagus Cliffs where you can enter a building, the starting area, the fifth eye and the Order of the truth and all of those are minuscule places, one small room... ohh, there is a dungeon too, that is so small that can almost fit on a zoom out screen. I think that sea was serious about his bragging of Inxile cutting useless shit like dungeons, why not remove all inside locations to cut this filler crap already?:lol:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Keep in mind that Pillars is a very long game, even longer with TWM, which also has more VO (always quality spending of money there), with less funding. It also didn't have SO MANY WORDS, not as many anyway. So, yes, what the fuck happened? Why is this game so mangled?

Rev

Arcane
I mostly agree your assessment so far (also about 15h in).

But even though I'm enjoying it a lot, I can't help but notice that doesn't not look like a $5 million game, It looks so barebones at times, it's like an EMP went off during the production and fried all of their computers, so they had to start all over from scratch. The cuts are visible to the naked eye, lack of bigger overarching quests, rushed main plot, non-existant VO, the fact that Oasis is basically gone (how the fuck entire major city ends up not existing), the gutted features. You can't help but wonder what the fuck happened?
My guess is that they aimed too high from the beginning, couldn't deliver on all their ideas and concepts and realize only too late that it wasn't working, having to cut a lot of features and stuff.
Also, I think they wasted too much money on hiring too many writers that amounted to little or nothing worhwhile: for example, did Mitsoda actually contribute to anything at all in this game? And Rothfuss, while I like his character, certainly wasn't cheap being a bestseller author and all.

It's quite shocking how Obsidian managed to build a bigger game, with more content, a new setting, new ruleset, building the technology almost from scratch, creating a lot more locations and maps with a slightly lesser budget in 2 year and a half, while inXile took Obsidian's tech, a pre-existing setting and ruleset, made a shorter game and managed to look poor in comparison, despite taking four years to release the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
agris

https://forums.obsidian.net/blog/1/entry-119-general-design-questions-part-1/
For a computer game, I feel it's also essential that the player understand the purpose of the character and that the character fulfills that role in the game mechanics and the world (for example, companions in F2 needed to be an asset in and out of combat, which I learned in Fallout 2 - Cassidy was much more valuable and appreciated than Myron).

https://forums.obsidian.net/blog/1/entry-168-project-eternity-and-characterization/
There are a few guidelines I try to follow when designing companions (some of these are dependent on the engine and franchise).

- Combat/Challenge-viable. Any companion that can’t hold their weight and help support the home team in some fashion isn’t going to last long in the hearts of players (well, maybe a very forgiving few). This is something I learned way back in Fallout 2 when it became clear that Cassidy was far preferred over Myron, for example (and not just because Myron was an ****, which factors into another point below). It’s also a lesson I picked up while playing Final Fantasy III – every character needs to contribute to the mechanics and challenge mechanics in some fashion (whether combat or stealth or whatever the game’s challenge is).

(He means the US 3 of course.)

So people, what was your favourite part of the game? I think mine was when I anally violated the Bloom.

There was a meeting. These guys got together, and somebody said, wouldn't it be cool if there was this climactic moment where you had to get through the Bloom's sphincter? And you could try forcing it open by Bashing, or getting it to gently relax with Lore: Natural, or tickle it with Quick Fingers? And then someone said, why just one, let's make it so they have to do all three? And then the others said, yeah that's cool, they'll love it, but make sure that there's this super-tense music going and enemies swarming from everywhere so they'll be fighting for their lives to crawl up that stinky pink hole? And then everybody was like :highfive: and now THAT'S what a proper Planescape: Torment sequel is all about.

Torment: Stones of Arnhem's Revenge.

Ivan

Arcane
I'm a ways into the game (Valley) and wanted to know if compas have actual quests that can be tracked, or do you need to have them with you at the right place at the right time? (e.g. Erritis in the Valley) Also, when do we know when were're "done" with a companion's arc to drop him?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom