Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
DOPBkhd.png

Good job Vashnaar!

copebot

Learned
I wonder how viable it would be to babysit one of the rogue factions enough that they took over a large portion of the map. They never seem to be all that aggressive even on VH/Legendary even after taking a few settlements.

_V_

Scholar
Geralt after a one week binge and losing a bet to a tranny armor smith?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Does it change the maps? Because the siege battle maps are the worst part of the game.
Seriously, why is it not like Medieval 2?
Why do settlements not have walls to begin with anyway? It feels like an attempt to artificially create difficulty in the early game, that ends up weakening the AI late game because they don't build walls and you can just blitz through their empire.
I don't understand why CA thought making minor settlements that weak to attack was a good idea, but its terrible.

Because it's bad enough already doing shitty siege battles constantly, doing 3x as many of them would be awful. Minor settlements commonly build walls anyway. If you added walls to all settlements then you'd almost never get a regular field battle.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Because it's bad enough already doing shitty siege battles constantly, doing 3x as many of them would be awful. Minor settlements commonly build walls anyway. If you added walls to all settlements then you'd almost never get a regular field battle.

Watching your settlement get destroyed by a surprise beastman stack is even more shit though and annoying as hell. It really does feel like artificial difficulty.
You still have ambushes, lifting sieges, sorties and catching invading armies. Field battles weren't even that common irl anyway.

Anyway, I'm playing as Gelt on VH/VH, and after you wipe out the vampire threat it gets kind of easy. I didn't even wipe them out, Drycha did.
It is pretty fun though focusing on guns and artillery, especially if the enemy lord is out of position and in range of your guns. You know that scene from one of the new shitty star wars films, where darth emo orders his entire army to shoot at Luke? Its like that, and its hilarious.

Why aren't the other chaos lords spawning for me, and why does the Autoresolve hate chaos, even though in the actual battle they are actually pretty dangerous to the Empire?

Last edited:

Watching your settlement get destroyed by a surprise beastman stack is even more shit though and annoying as hell. It really does feel like artificial difficulty.
You still have ambushes, lifting sieges, sorties and catching invading armies. Field battles weren't even that common irl anyway.

If you don't want your stuff getting destroyed then build the fort. As it is like 90% of battles are around a settlement, if half of them didn't have walls then the game would be 90% siege battles. And siege battles are shit. Same crappy maps, same crappy strategies or worse (just shoot AI units that aren't even moving around), same problems with already weak units becoming worthless (cavalry, melee).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Why do settlements not have walls to begin with anyway? It feels like an attempt to artificially create difficulty in the early game, that ends up weakening the AI late game because they don't build walls and you can just blitz through their empire.
Why does anyone even build walls in a world with cannons, mages etc? It's like building walls in in the modern era: not much point. Case in point is that it is often easier to kill a larger army while they are defending a city with walls than on the open field. The "top meta" for most races on defense also seems to be to abandon walls immediately and instead abuse map borders to make a good stand at the city centre. And this is despite the fact that most of the magic spell types are not allowed to be cast on walls. Can you imagine the slaughter if you could actually use wind spells on walls?

From a realism point of view everywhere probably wants walls if only to stop random chaos shit slipping into cities in the night. I'm not sure on the specifics of the Warhammer universe but my understanding is that artillery while existing isn't exactly mass-produced so it's more like 18th century artillery at the latest rather than 19th/20th, and forts were absolutely useful then. And of course only a few factions have real artillery, makes plenty of sense for the Empire to build walled settlements when the only neighbor race with "real" artillery is Dwarves (who you are on good relations with). The only question is why they don't have star forts with overlapping fields of fire to cover all angles and have multiple Gatling Gun-equivalents shooting any infantry pulling their big dumb ladders out of their asses. Not sure on magic with regard to Warhammer setting. I'm guessing in-lore it would be proportionately less useful when cities had actual armies in the tens of thousands defending and most mages can't just blow down walls.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
From a realism point of view everywhere probably wants walls if only to stop random chaos shit slipping into cities in the night. I'm not sure on the specifics of the Warhammer universe but my understanding is that artillery while existing isn't exactly mass-produced so it's more like 18th century artillery at the latest rather than 19th/20th, and forts were absolutely useful then. And of course only a few factions have real artillery, makes plenty of sense for the Empire to build walled settlements when the only neighbor race with "real" artillery is Dwarves (who you are on good relations with). The only question is why they don't have star forts with overlapping fields of fire to cover all angles and have multiple Gatling Gun-equivalents shooting any infantry pulling their big dumb ladders out of their asses. Not sure on magic with regard to Warhammer setting. I'm guessing in-lore it would be proportionately less useful when cities had actual armies in the tens of thousands defending and most mages can't just blow down walls.

Yes, all Imperial settlements are supposed to have some sort of barricade for that reason. Beastmen are fucking everywhere in the forests, and you have undead shit as well.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The only question is why they don't have star forts with overlapping fields of fire to cover all angles and have multiple Gatling Gun-equivalents shooting any infantry pulling their big dumb ladders out of their asses.
This is basically what I'd expect to see instead of stone walls in imperial settlements.

Keeping beastmen out is fine, but you don't need 10m thick and 30m high stone walls for that, you need a palisade or similar wooden wall.
Not sure on magic with regard to Warhammer setting. I'm guessing in-lore it would be proportionately less useful when cities had actual armies in the tens of thousands defending and most mages can't just blow down walls.
I am not a 100% sure either, but I also suspect that in lore an attacking army will have more than one or two wizards. But well, walls are pointless if you can't hold them and with the way magic is presented in game, winds/cone spells would make that entirely impossible if not for arbitrary restrictions on where you can cast.

copebot

Learned
Why does anyone even build walls in a world with cannons, mages etc? It's like building walls in in the modern era: not much point. Case in point is that it is often easier to kill a larger army while they are defending a city with walls than on the open field. The "top meta" for most races on defense also seems to be to abandon walls immediately and instead abuse map borders to make a good stand at the city centre. And this is despite the fact that most of the magic spell types are not allowed to be cast on walls. Can you imagine the slaughter if you could actually use wind spells on walls?

Earthworks are useful even in an age of cannons. In the era of war that Warhammer Fantasy most resembles, it was actually a time with tons of sophisticated fort building all through to the early to mid 19th century. Even in World War I and World War II, so-called trench warfare involves the construction of lots of fort-like structures and other fortifications to protect troops from artillery.

This type of fortification is a lot harder for artists to depict or for it to be something that could be easily customized in a game that is supposed to be fun. The wall depictions in Warhammer are closer to movie set designs for things like the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings, which don't really depict fortifications accurately. If you visit Revolutionary War era forts or Civil War forts in the US you will see lots of functional defensive designs.

There are lots of things that Total War does well, but it's hard for them to do a good job simulating siege battles because siege simulations would never be fun in a computer game context.

Warhammer fantasy novels tend to borrow from history, with sieges sometimes taking quite a long time. The walls in cities are often enchanted or rune-inscribed in various ways to protect from magic and explosives. The Zombieslayer Gotrek and Felix novel, for example, is all about a long and grinding siege by Kemmler against an isolated Empire fort that takes quite a long time to be resolved. In The Doom of Dragonback, it takes from early summer to mid-winter for an orcish horde to conquer and destroy the Dwarf kingdom of Ekrund. So it's not really that the fluff is bad, just that the fluff is not really easily adaptable to Total War.

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
WHFB have lots of gems in its lore
ErSBqOXW8AUZQAS

or
-2374: Lord Hua-Hua of Xlanhuapec claims victory in a 500 year old debate about what to do about the younger races. No other Slann speaks to Lord Hua-Hua for the next thousand years in protest.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
At fist I was like

upload_2021-1-13_10-30-0.png

(For some reason those fucks had nothing but peasants. That was a nice big ball of XP.)

but then Legendary set in and...

upload_2021-1-13_10-31-24.png

e:
upload_2021-1-13_11-4-58.png
upload_2021-1-13_11-10-59.png

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yikes I thought Noctilus would be an easy campaign but dang is it tedious on Legendary.
Yeah, I played it on VHVH and bloody hell High Elves are cancer to play against.
If you don't spam mortars your shitty infantry gets killed by archers, but if you spam too much artillery you get wiped out by the spearmen.
You pretty much have to go for necrofex spam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom