Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Thorek Done

hmXQ95z.jpg

Whole campaign was kind of easy and pointless once Grimgore was wiped out. With him gone and me taking out dancing orc boy Thorgrim started the order/dawitide. He wiped eshin out and then it was just hunting for the stupid artifacts because forging them is a grudge and you need low grudge to win. But when you get armies of with ironbreakers and irondrakes its easy to just spam end turn and autobattle most of it.

Rune system is good. It honestly feels a bit too cheap, you can unlock everything you want in around 30-50 turns or so.

Malus is pain. You want to figure out a way to get through the lizards in a minimal amount of time, land on the coastline next to the minor settlement directly south of Eshin's start, then snipe Eshin's starting settlement. Eshin is the biggest threat by far with how fast they spam stacks and how shit it is to get ambushed. If you can decapitate them and then clean them up the rest is pretty chill. But Eshin is hell to fight if they get out of control.

Is it harder than Imrik's campaign ? (where you're stuck between Grimgor, Eshin and Malus and with a shit economy)

Hmm...

I like Dark Elves a lot and I fucking hate high elves with a passion. High Elven public order used to be so shit that you couldn't even leave your home province for the first 30 turns or so without a rebellion coming. That's better now that you get public order from being at low PO. Imrik is probably harder overall but you can snipe Eshin really, really early just spamming a shit ton of archers and walking to his capital. The problem is that sniping Eshin doesn't immediately mean you've won since you still have to deal with two separate fronts of Malus and Grimgore where once Malus has beaten Eshin he's pretty much secured against any threat.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I forgot why I hate VH...

View attachment 20065

As I said, I guarantee you none of the devs play on anything above Hard. Probably not even that.
Why is your elven faction heraldry different from mine?

The problem is that sniping Eshin doesn't immediately mean you've won since you still have to deal with two separate fronts of Malus and Grimgore where once Malus has beaten Eshin he's pretty much secured against any threat.
Shouldn't fighting eshin give you approximately infinite slaves for a pretty strong starting economy though? Also I don't know his start, but considering ai imrik usually dies by turn ~8 if left to his own devices, couldn't you try to make sure to not discover that part of the world until he's died so you just have to fight eshin?

Shouldn't fighting eshin give you approximately infinite slaves for a pretty strong starting economy though? Also I don't know his start, but considering ai imrik usually dies by turn ~8 if left to his own devices, couldn't you try to make sure to not discover that part of the world until he's died so you just have to fight eshin?

Well on normal that's probably fine. On VH the enemy spams enough stacks that you have more slaves than you know what to do with pretty quickly (also can just loot and fight rebels). Eshin is just so damn bullshit with how he can summon multiple stacks out of nowhere on no economy and a bad ambush can delete your stack.

I've never had an issue with AI Imrik playing as Malus. He's either dead or completely impotent. High Elves suck pretty hard until higher tiers and AI Imrik isn't likely to get those higher tiers with the spread out settlements in his region he has to defend against all the orcs and skaven razing him. And Dark Elves especially can fight any high-tier enemies like armored cavalry or dragons with their low tier crossbowmen since they have massive AP damage.

Last edited:

copebot

Learned
Eshin is dangerous more because of the geography of the region combined with high elven inability to use the underway. They just have the capacity to bounce around the map. If you ever get caught vulnerable to an ambush attack, you can lose the stack. Overall high elves have a pretty easy time with Skaven and so do dark elves. The high elf vs. orc matchup is harsher because you won't have AP missiles as HElfs until you get some sisters.

Movement range is actually the strongest modifier in the game once you've got decent quality and replenishment rate. Very nice.

Nathir

Liturgist
That's nice and all, but what about updating Warriors to Chaos to not be shit and give them the same Horde mechanic the Beastmen use now? And isn't Norsca crap as well?

I don't think Chaos are shit at all. Their current campaign is quite fun and really easy. And all their lords are basically one-man armies. Or do you mean they need a BM level-update with a ton of extra resources/tech upgrades/mechanics etc. to the point they become really silly really fast.

Norsca is probably the hardest campaign in the game imo. The start is incredibly hard, your economy is shit, you can't defend settlements... It's a slog. Atleast endgame you get one of the strongest doomstacks in Mammoth spam.

Anyway, I finished the Thorek vortex campaign today. Never played dwarfs before, was fun.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
That's nice and all, but what about updating Warriors to Chaos to not be shit and give them the same Horde mechanic the Beastmen use now? And isn't Norsca crap as well?

I don't think Chaos are shit at all. Their current campaign is quite fun and really easy. And all their lords are basically one-man armies. Or do you mean they need a BM level-update with a ton of extra resources/tech upgrades/mechanics etc. to the point they become really silly really fast.

Norsca is probably the hardest campaign in the game imo. The start is incredibly hard, your economy is shit, you can't defend settlements... It's a slog. Atleast endgame you get one of the strongest doomstacks in Mammoth spam.

Anyway, I finished the Thorek vortex campaign today. Never played dwarfs before, was fun.
Then why is the AI Chaos Invasion such a joke? In warhammer 1 they were an actual threat, in warhammer 2 they barely cause a dent against the Empire.

The actual chaos invasion (not the prequels) is pretty big if you set it to max strength. But that's like turn 150 I think? It's rare for campaigns to go on that long.

Also it should be noted that there's a lot, lore more settlements across the map in WH2 mortal empires now compared to WH1. If ordertide occurs and the whole map is united then chaos has trouble. Also higher difficulties will favor AIs able to hold out against the chaos invasion. I assume that if you set difficulty to normal and chaos invasion difficulty to legendary that chaos would easily wipe the map.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist

Then why is the AI Chaos Invasion such a joke? In warhammer 1 they were an actual threat, in warhammer 2 they barely cause a dent against the Empire.

If you want a more deadly chaos invasion you can try this mod :
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1470815758

I don't know much about Warhammer's lore, but haven't chaos invasion always been stopped in Kislev anyway ?

What might spice up things would be stronger AI beastmen factions ?

Nathir

Liturgist

Well I wasn't talking about AI, but about the player using the faction. There are certain AI factions that never amount to anything, and others which are always top 5. I don't know how it works. But WoC usually face off against Empire. And I am not sure but I believe Empire AR is busted. Full stacks of spearman/crossbowmen always do well against way better armies in AR.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Bought the DLC just to realize I don't like beastmen. They are ugly, disgusting and unintelligible. I'd like them better as BBQ than as a playable faction. Their horde system looks nice though, would like to see something similar implemented for Chaos.

They seem to weight more as AI faction though, which is nice, because they were really irrelevant until now.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Bought the DLC just to realize I don't like beastmen. They are ugly, disgusting and unintelligible. I'd like them better as BBQ than as a playable faction. Their horde system looks nice though, would like to see something similar implemented for Chaos.
They were a lost worse before the update.
If you want the True Beastman Experience, play them in Warhammer 1.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist

Do you mean the mini-campaign ?

Never thought of going back to Warhammer 1 frankly. But I miss the lighting. It's shit in TW2.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Do you mean the mini-campaign ?

Never thought of going back to Warhammer 1 frankly. But I miss the lighting. It's shit in TW2.
And the proper campaign.
Eye for an Eye or whatever it's called actually felt better to play than the full campaign. Map is pretty cool too.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
How the hell am I supposed to fight Ironbreakers as Dark Elves? There's nothing I can use against them as a frontline because of their fucking grenades. They are also spamming Organ Guns and just camping with their gunline. It's turning into a real slog and the frustrating thing is that I nearly had the Dwarfs beat and then suddenly they started pulling stacks out of their arses.
Also the fact that the Chaos Invasion only screws over Dark Elves and just tickles the Empire is fucking retarded.

Last edited:
Anything fast to get into melee with them before they throw grenades would work. But they are one of the strongest frontline units in the game so fighting them in melee is generally a bad idea. Dark elves have tons of ranged AP damage, use that. Some Hydras or magic would also work.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
You are uniquely suited to dealing with them as the D Elves, due to the quantity and quality of armour piercing at your disposal.

Firstly, your Darkshards/Shades are compelling options. If the counter is Dwarven artillery, you need to address that with your skirmish cavalry or flying units. Ironbreakers are so immobile that you can dance around them and pull them where you want them to go. The only truly bad scenario there is insisting on taking them head-on, for which they are purpose-built.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
How the hell am I supposed to fight Ironbreakers as Dark Elves? There's nothing I can use against them as a frontline because of their fucking grenades. They are also spamming Organ Guns and just camping with their gunline. It's turning into a real slog and the frustrating thing is that I nearly had the Dwarfs beat and then suddenly they started pulling stacks out of their arses.
Also the fact that the Chaos Invasion only screws over Dark Elves and just tickles the Empire is fucking retarded.
In one Malus Me campaign I had success with armies composed 2 hydras and the rest as shades (well, other than the lord, artillery, and heroes). I vanguard deployed the shades to be in range of the dwarven line at the start of the battle and focused on the artillery. Once the artillery was dead, I ran the shades back across the map to where Malus, hydras, heroes, etc. were waiting. At least then, the slow dwarven AI would trickle in and get killed. Not sure how well it would work with the new dwarven runes.

copebot

Learned
Shade spam, magic (they're dwarves but hey, still does damage), hydras, death hags, other melee heroes, black dragons -- all that stuff should be able to kill ironbreakers. Normal dark elf melee infantry is just not gonna have a great time against dwarfs. Use your black ark abilities against their artillery to blow up the weapons and their crews. Overall dwarfs are a tough matchup for any elf faction.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Shade spam, magic (they're dwarves but hey, still does damage), hydras, death hags, other melee heroes, black dragons -- all that stuff should be able to kill ironbreakers. Normal dark elf melee infantry is just not gonna have a great time against dwarfs. Use your black ark abilities against their artillery to blow up the weapons and their crews. Overall dwarfs are a tough matchup for any elf faction.
Can't use the Black Arks in the badlands :/
That's the thing that's really killing me - even if I win the battle I take so much damage that I have fall back and re-recruit everything because Malus reduces ALL lords' replenishment by 60% and I have to fight in a mountain range which takes bloody ages.
It's an absolutely terrible area for Dark Elves to be in.
In theory I should be able to beat dwarfs, but their organ gun and quarrelers melt any fast unit that gets close and they are protected by melee. Hydras do perform wonderfully but they take three turns to recruit , they have expensive upkeep and I need to be able to apply pressure to multiple fronts because of the mountain range. Also the dwarfs are spamming slayers. Which isn't too bad but it acts as a distraction for the Ironbreakers to be bastards and ties up my ranged units.
Oh, and the Empire is attacking me from the North because they decided to conquer the East. Because Chaos is a fucking joke who can't do their one job.
So I have no replenishment, no immediate recruitment options, no black arks, no ability to actually force project because the supply line mechanic is fucking stupid and I have to fight on multiple fronts. I don't think CA really thought Malus's Mortal Empires start through.

Tactically it's not too bad, but logistically it's a terror because I just can't afford taking heavy losses against artillery and grenades.
I guess I'll try recruiting more shades, but I noticed they are a little squishy against Dwarf quarellers, and sometimes they field 4 of the fuckers.

In one Malus Me campaign I had success with armies composed 2 hydras and the rest as shades (well, other than the lord, artillery, and heroes). I vanguard deployed the shades to be in range of the dwarven line at the start of the battle and focused on the artillery. Once the artillery was dead, I ran the shades back across the map to where Malus, hydras, heroes, etc. were waiting. At least then, the slow dwarven AI would trickle in and get killed. Not sure how well it would work with the new dwarven runes.
How did you deal with replenishment and economy? I sold Hag Greaf at the start and the north is a wasteland because of Chaos.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I played the Malus campaign several times, but those playthroughs were pre Imrik, Greenskin buff, and dwarf buff. I may try it again soon.

Malus is a weird campaign, because those whisper quests are random and yet can make a huge difference, such as Urial (-20% to construction costs) and the life steal dagger.

I used Malus as a tarpit (don’t put him on Spite), spammed Darkshards (shades ASAP), casted magic over top Malus, and used tzarkan if Malus ever got low. After I leveled Malus and a mage hero up enough, I could go several battles without needing to worry about replenishment and somewhat ignored the sanity meter. Otherwise, I always kept Hag Graef.

Right now, I think you can keep Hag Graef and spam potions to level it to tier 3+ fast, because of the boost to population.

Parabalus

Arcane
You can waste all their ammo by dodging with a single unit.

Very effective with e.g. Morathi's hydra to clear out Alith's ranged stacks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom