Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Infinitron, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    You can literally look at Malekith, he has "increased chance of loyalty loss for lords of a higher rank than Malekith". The word "increased" means that there is a normal rate of loyalty loss for lords higher level than your leader.

^ Top  
  2. Seethe Savant

Seethe
    The objectively best way to gain loyalty on Dark Elf lords, is to recruit a Khainite assassin', merge him into the lord's army, and give him the skill which has a chance to give 1 loyalty to the lord per turn(or maybe it was an innate ability, I forgot). You won't even need to care about loyalty after that. And it's fine because the assassins are good anyway, especially on caster lords which always need to have in the army a unit that deals high damage to single entity units, that have lots of hp.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Kabas Arbiter Patron

Kabas
    Would you screw yourself over if you decide to invest into a yellow(combat) skill tree on your legendary lord?
    Heard that it's not good because your lord can only be at one place during a battle but there is just something romantic about this option.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Danikas Magister

Danikas
    Army buffs > Lord buffs

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    With a 40 level cap you can afford a bit of the yellow line on anyone. It's just that, no matter how buff your lord is, if your army is weak then the enemy army will kill your army before your lord really makes much of a dent in them.

Also due to how the to-hit equation works low-% hit chance units (say 30 MA vs 30 MD) getting +10 MA change them from 40% CTH to 50% CTH, a 25% damage increase, while on a LL with 70 MA it changes you from 90% CTH to 100% CTH, only a 9% damage increase. And there's way more models of melee units making more potentially damaging attacks than a single LL can pull off.

Some LLs/races can afford to skimp on some red line or blue line upgrades. For instance skaven and other races that ambush in attack have little need of lightning strike. Some of the advanced red line bonuses are pretty shit and can be skipped.

Ohh and Brettonia can run around with lone lords specced as combat beasts supporting the main army since they don't suffer supply lines. Its pretty great.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Maculo Prophet

Maculo
    I wouldn’t say screwed over, but I would typically save those for last. Magic, blue line (lightning strike, replenishment), redline (army buffs), and Legendary lord campaign traits can make a larger difference in the campaign. Once obtained, I personally go for defensive traits so that my lord can distract the enemy force for longer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. karoliner Magister

karoliner
    This isn't accurate, even compared to the old Total Wars EB is slow as fuck. Battles against mostly peasants armies could take close to 1 hour. Old total war was 20 to 30 minutes. Of course i agree modern total war is retarded a battle between 10.000 legionaries vs 10.000 barbarians literally takes 4 minutes and 40 seconds.

^ Top  
  8. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I exaggerated for the comedic effect.

The slow battles in EB have advantages however - the slow rate of exhaustion increases the time differential between two midrange units fighting vs two longer lasting units fighting, this opens room for a metagame where you choose which unit to send against which so that the first side whose hands become untied from its initial combat can use the freed units to help its still engaged ones, and thus create an avalanche effect. This allows for victories where you started with, on average, lower-range units but defeated an, on-average, higher-morale army than yours. That's especially valuable as a tactic when playing barbarians fighting against civilized factions.

Another fun possibility which I've experienced is to have the main core of your army engaged for a few minutes, and then decide where to make a decisive push by comitting your back line or reserves. If you choose right, which isn't all that difficult with some experience, the enemy's army falls apart like a domino.

The same things are of course possible with the faster vanilla combat, but you have much less margin for error. Actually compared to modern CA games, with the smaller differential of morale values between low-tier and high-tier units, it becomes in practice impossible to sit back and judge the battlefield and make decisions after two units are locked in combat, at least in my experience.

Also, I don't know if this is a feature of EB or of MTW2, but the AI tends to split his army into main force and cavalry skirmishers, and try to flank me and harass with them every time. It also tries to sneak past the front line with spearmen and attack my general unit.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020 at 8:48 AM
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    surely surely sure? might had it had been changed during the years? i would have sworn it only mattered for him. oh well, sometimes i can be wrong too, just once or twice u_u

^ Top  
  10. kris Arcane

kris
    this can be read in two ways.

This could be seen as increased in comparison to a "normal loyalty loss" or increased in comparison to how "all lords than a higher rank than faction leader lose loyalty". it is not clear.

^ Top  
  11. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    I can definitely say that under normal games with my leader being high leveled I've never, ever had loyalty issues at all while during the one game where malus was lower leveled than my supreme sorceress she was losing loyalty every few turns and was almost impossible to keep loyal. At least I assume it was the level, maybe it was because she had a larger army than him or something similar. Who knows.

Also Queek from Clan Mors has the opposite trait where he steals XP from all other lords to keep his level high. This is possibly to reflect how Clan Mors is one of the more loyal skaven clans.

^ Top  
  12. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    or most probably we're here wasting time discussing the sex of the angels while loyalty mechanics are the usual CA half-assed mostly-not-working job.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
  14. Kabas Arbiter Patron

Kabas
    Speaking of Queek, i just took a look at his vortex campaign.
    "Horned rat, notice me!"
    He is cute

^ Top  
  15. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    I'm disappointed they didn't give Malekith a line for every climate.
    I HATE SNOW
    I HATE SAND
    I HATE FORESTS

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. BrotherFrank Nouveau Riche Patron

BrotherFrank
    That’s because Malekith is warhammer Anakin skywalker, not warhammer grumpy smurf.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    The does not get enough credit for its sound design. Zoom into the world map and just listen.

The characters lines are of course memetastic.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Maculo Prophet

Maculo
    TASTE GOLD MAGIC
    I AM SUPREME

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I've been playing Beastmen, and... is it just me or are they the most horrible faction?
    For one, they are a horde faction, so your gameplay is: Take 2 armies and walk around doing the odd raze & battle while trying not to go bankrupt. Can't split up, either, because everyone will just come at you with multiple armies from way outside of viewing range.
    But, alright, that hordes kinda suck was known.

Maybe their buildings offer something?
    Nah, two must-have buildings to actually be able to afford two full armies, that's it. The rest is entirely straightforward.

Their special campaign ability is just the old-style WAAAGH! in even shittier.

The quest-line is just "go there, raid that". Would have done that, anyway, but at least it gives you a direction, I guess.

So maybe the battles are fun with them!
    Uhm... every single unit (except chaos spawns, at least with Morghur) is a glass cannon. Except the chaff don't even do any damage, so they die immediately and can't even chaff right, they are worse than zombies.
    So you just form one gigantic line and attack-move into the enemy while manually walking your faster units around to the back as a semi-cavalry.
    Except if the enemy is heavy on ranged, then you better bring a second army or just watch your entire army melt due to low armor and (at best) shitty shields before they reach the enemy.
    Cygors can't hit anything, either. Guess depth perception is a bitch with only one eye. Especially after playing VC with their necrofex (which hits most of the time and does melee much better as well), this is just comically bad.

The one thing I like is how the nomad lifestyle enables you to play kingmaker in some local wars.

Maybe SFO or another mod improves them significantly, but vanilla just isn't fun.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020 at 12:43 PM
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    It depends. I like to focus on Army buffs, then the special lord tree, then lord buffs if the lord is meant to be a beatstick.
    If you aren't building Grimgor for combat and buffing black orks you aren't Orky.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Danikas Magister

Danikas
    Fitting names for next Lord Pack release?

The Unvarnished and the Unpolished

The Broken and the Bitty

The Raw and the Rough

The Crude and the Coarse

The Scrappy and the Sketchy

The Unfinished and the Undeveloped

The Unrefined and the Unprepared

The Defective and the Deficient

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    i don't know, i met some oddly endgame surviving and developed beastmen army and i thought it would have been a piece of cake with all the bad mouting around them and all, but their morale just wouldn't break, every single unit of them fought down to the last man, and won thanks to it. and that got me interested in them. but after all i'm a larper, i enjoyed chaos already.
    vanilla, maybe a bug, i wouldn't know, right when i wanted to gve them a try the mixu's mods broke and i cannot play them on vortex map anymore. i need to muster much more courage to launch a mortal empire campaign =_=

^ Top  
  23. Danikas Magister

Danikas
    Chaos invasion armies never break you need to kill everyone.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Is this something only in WH2? I've fought Archaon and his armies did break and run.

^ Top  
  25. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    it wasn't a chaos invasion, it was your average beastmen army.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.