Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Oh, I'm sure CA will drop it like a hot potato the moment it proves itself to be not as profitable as they had hoped.

Lmao? The game is profittable already. The biggest money makers in TW II and I were the DLCs. The fact they didn't immediately milk this but went back to the drawing board, dealying a very anticipated addon like Chaos Dwarves it's proof they at least are in good faith with their publisher. Not talking about the quality of the game itself or what you wrote after that but, imagine TW:WH III has a very bad second half of '23 too and CA drops it, as you say.

What are exactly their business prospective? Another historical reharsal? They take the gambit and go for an untested period in time, with the burning failiure of their biggest title ever still marring the memory of 90% of their customers? Developers have sunken costs too. Not that what you write is outside of the possible scenarios. I just find it very naive to think like that at the current moment in time, considering the rumors they are also discussing a WH 40K total war game. If they don't support this for at least one year, after IE exits beta, it will reflect very badly on any subsequent related title they release.

I personally think the suits are smart enough to not kill their golden goose because of some grumpy customers. It's not like the base game didn't sell like hotcakes. This is mainly a perceived issue due to dwindling players number and whiny youtubers unable to find interest for their content.

edit:
Before I sign off, on a personal note, I’ve also seen some negativity aimed at our Community Managers. They are a crucial part of our team and work hard to represent your voices day in and day out. I ask you to please remember this and treat them and the wider community with respect, for us all to have the best Total War experience possible.
Lol. Hoes mad.

Last edited:

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
the dead rise again

Use ambushes and lure them out, never let them attack you because they will recover during their end turn, never rush into vampiric corruption even if what you have is more than enough to beat what they have. You want to cripple their main lords first or immediately siege them. They won't raise again after a succesful siege,

I agree they should def tone it down and you probably already realized what I wrote by yourself.

Elttharion

Learned
the dead rise again

Use ambushes and lure them out, never let them attack you because they will recover during their end turn, never rush into vampiric corruption even if what you have is more than enough to beat what they have. You want to cripple their main lords first or immediately siege them. They won't raise again after a succesful siege,

I agree they should def tone it down and you probably already realized what I wrote by yourself.
Thanks for the advice, yeah I knew that. What annoyed me was in my last Franz campaign where Kemmler had 3 terrorgheists at like turn 15 and kept attacking my fort. Every time I would kill the terrorgheists, they would get ressurected and he would attack me again.

Honestly haven't had that problem myself, but I'd recommend trying out a hero using the block army action. Both just to scout ahead and see where the enemy lord is so you can attack them on their turn, and to stop them running away.

Played a bit of Zhao Ming. Got boring and easy way too quick. I now realize that the Wu Xing compass is actually a global effect for all Cathay factions. Which has two implications:

1. If you set Great Bastion, all Cathay armies can use the Celestial Intervention nuke ability. Including minor Cathay factions you fight (maybe even rebels? hard to get rebels if you play right as Cathay). Which is insanely bullshit and makes it kind of shit to use. The replenishment bonus it gives is good but you kind of already have good replenishment in all cathay regions and it doesn't work outside them.
2. On the other hand, setting Celestial Lake is OP as fuck. +15 growth per region in cathay is, well, per region. 3 regions in a province means +45 growth. That's ontop of +40 growth for maintaining harmony. This applies to AIs too, so by just spamming this direction on the compass you're supercharging your generally friendly AIs to the point where they'll easily outperform all the non-cathay faction around. AIs won't care about replenishment, control, or corruption decrease, but they'll be absurdly strong with a ton of free growth and income. And of course you will, Cathay is one of the richest factions and you get +15% income from that direction along with +25% from harmony and -20% building cost from harmony. Free extra winds of magic constantly being pumped into your armies is also handy.

TL;DR just spam celestial lake even though the system pretends that you're supposed to be switching in order to get multiple smaller bonuses going at once. The other options are more balanced in the Chaos campaign where chaos is constantly breaking out in your homelands but in immortal empires where you can lock down areas and make them safe moneymakers Celestial Lake is overpowered. Cathay also has so little need for building slots since their tier 3 barracks can hire virtually everything you need for general armies and you have no need to stack more growth or control buildings if you are balancing Harmony purely with the income buildings.

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
What I like the most- is that they add DLC lords to the main game even if you are not bought said DLC. You still get Festus and other lords roamin and it is cool because there are factions I know I will never play as (such as degenerade elves). SO each DLC is welcome.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
such as degenerade elves

b-but the only DLC elves are best elves? Ok, let me rephrase. They are the less cringey of the 3.

Jokes aside I don't particularly like elves BUT, wood elves have among the most singular faction mechanics and the different legendary lords offer varied experiences. Orion is boring by himself but has a super strong -8% upkeep reduction on his army (and -4% on all the other armies) for each war he's currently in. Send an hero north to meet chaos and norsca and you can easily be in 20+ wars. Drycha the birch has expendable elven units and animals for weird early to mid late combos you see in no other army. The twin thots can turn a stack of hawk riders into artillery platforms. Durthu is gud but the easiest to confederate for everyone else, most vanilla with emphasis on tree spirits.

That and they all play a very decentralized campaign, with lots of hopping around and different factions to fight. If this was still WH II I'd never suggest getting the DLC but currently, they are one of the more interesting faction to play imho.

Edgetard

Educated
What I like the most- is that they add DLC lords to the main game even if you are not bought said DLC. You still get Festus and other lords roamin and it is cool because there are factions I know I will never play as (such as degenerade elves). SO each DLC is welcome.
WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT MY ELVES

Dayyālu

Arcane
High Elves are an amusing faction in being flat-out better in anything. The Pokemon Imrik campaign is also pretty fun if kinda derivative. The only DLC I didn't get is the Warden and The Paunch, I don't know if I have in me to play another HE campaign, I mean, I don't think the Warden mechanics and its end battle are that novel. I still like their bullshit, Sisters melting everything never ceases to be fun in a dumb way.

Wood Elves got some serious love with patching, but I kinda feel their play-style kinda restrictive, there's still some tendency to play them as a semi-horde faction and bulldoze all your enemies and cultivate a pet faction or two to colonize all the ruins you leave. That's kinda in-lore though. They're also devastating on the battlefield and their play style endures well the bullshit tactical map difficulties (not that I like to play on higher tac map difficulty, it makes meme army composition far too difficult). The AI being utterly incapable makes even garrisons capable of dealing with armies with stealth bullshit.

Delves are the... weakest of the bunch, methinks. Bar for the

...cock-sleaves, slaves and sacrifices
factor, (and it's sleeves) they're kinda unremarkable bar for the Black Ark shenanigans and.... and.... hell, at least Dreadlords are cute.

Truly monocled gentlemen favor Beastmen.
Considering that Taurox starts in Naggarond, you know, as I know, that there's some no-life modder out there that probably went a bit too deep into the gentle loving aspect of the Beastmen. It's told in-game that does are rare, nay?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Delves are the... weakest of the bunch,
I think this is definately true in Wh3, but they were quite strong in wh2. Arks ignoring supply lines mattered a lot more when the penalty was 10% per army, and the slave income from frequent battles could let you sustain the upkeep of 2 ground armies and several arks off of a single province, even without hero spam.
Which is to say, they were actually an interesting faction to play. But slavery got nerfed hard, so it does not seem to be the case any more.

Wood elves also play very differently from the rest, since there are so few valuable settlements, and they're spread out all over the world.

High elves are pretty meh. Lothern (and presumably Sister) spam is fun for a few battles due to the sheer op factor, but gets boring fast.

Edgetard

Educated
at least Dreadlords are cute.
1jr0hlep0o961.png
they sure are

Delves are the... weakest of the bunch, methinks.
Nah

- Darkshards are the best archers at T1 in the game due to AP damage. Darkshard later get shields which keep them one of the best archers. Less range than others until they get their tech and rank 7 redline, but still good. With those two upgrades they have 162 range which is comparable to Woodelves 170 range, but with 25% more damage and those shields, so I'd say still the best. Though you'll probably not waste the time to update to darkshards with shields after your initial T1 rush because...

- Shades can be recruited from tier 2 with 1 turn recruitment time. They are comparable to Sisters with just the tech and rank 7. Granted you won't get the tech nor the +6 recruit levels by the time you can first recruit Shades, but better to have an imperfect army rampaging the map at turn 20 than waiting till turn 60. With the additional name of power they have 215 range, which is absurdly broken and makes them the best general use archer in the game. Keep in mind that range affects accuracy so they'll be more accurate at shorter ranges too. They also don't have fire damage which can be a critical weakness of Sisters (e.g character on a dragon you want to snipe with 40% fire resist... ontop of 40% missile resist). If you want to wait until tier 3 and for a 2 turn recruit time, you get massively better melee stats vs. infantry as well as AP damage which can practically make them go toe to toe with serious high tier enemy infantry. Also they have stalk which lets you set up ambushes or just walk in the backdoor of cities.

- Arguably one of the best economies in the game, both from slaves and dark arks. Dark arks handle all recruitment and patrol the seas and cost next to nothing to upkeep their armies and sack enemy settlements.

- Built-in nukes from dark ark support getting hundreds of kills per battle. Usable for most of the battles you'll fight in dark elf campaigns.

- Sacrifice to Khaine being THE best rite in the game by far. From a strategic perspective, +50% income from battles, +25% casualties captured and +20% replenishment for 15 turns would make it arguably the best. Where it takes the cake is the Dark Conduit ability which can easily kill 500+ units per use, and it's AP damage so it will tear apart Chaos Warriors just as well as it does Skavenslaves. You get up to 3 uses per battle and can use it everywhere. Even when the enemy assaults your settlements, Dark Conduit makes those unguarded settlements a piece of cake to defend when you can hire a lord who practically solos the entire enemy army with this running. You can have it up by like turn 5 and you're basically safe from anything until turn 20.

Compared to Helf, IMO Delfs win in every way as a base race except for the fact that they don't have access to life nor light magic. Also they tend to have some pretty hard starting positions sandwiched in between enemies (though nothing that sacrifice to Khaine doesn't utterly dominate). For Helfs only Imrik's start poses difficulty. The OP part of Helfs in WH2 was that entrepreneur was broken but it was nerfed to the ground while Delf slavery was if anything made more relevant because its powerful immediately rather than at turn 50, and with the supply lines change in WH3 you don't really even need the massive money that entrepreneur or slavery provided in WH2.

Last edited:

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
>writes a paragraph in defense of Delves
>well worded and def knoweledgeable
>has clearly played the faction and doesn't just go by hearsay
>he forgots to name Morathi as the hottest bitch in game
>mfw

Elttharion

Learned
>mfw

Morathi-bg.webp

'I can fix her'

Edit: As for the Elves I enjoy playing all of them to some degree but my favorites are the Wood elves, mainly because their tall playstyle is a breath of fresh air in the game. I dont care what happens around me, as long as my trees are happy the rest of the world can burn.

>mfw
Actually

I simp for Alarielle and she's the only reason I'd seriously play a Helf campaign. Also have a thing for Repanse. Morathi is the #3 bitch

Elttharion

Learned
>mfw
Actually

I simp for Alarielle and she's the only reason I'd seriously play a Helf campaign. Also have a thing for Repanse. Morathi is the #3 bitch
>Repanse
>not the Fay Enchantress and her beautiful bare feet
:decline:

39431A97E4886EA3388A7BF6D0EFB4697A0C1237

Listen to facts, people

Alarielle: Queen, good mother to your future children, get to cuck Tyrion.
Morathi: Single mother of a disabled black son. Probably still fucks N'kari on the side and would bring up that he has a bigger dick than you if she wanted to win an argument. Not even royalty and is into stupid mystic crap.

One of these is waifu material, the other is strictly a pump and dump unless you are a reddit cuck.

>Repanse
Aside from not being a foot fetishist, she doesn't have enough personality and is just a pawn of the elves. Repanse is your cute french crusader waifu with an adorable accent.

Just to cover all the bases:

A tier: Alarielle, Repanse
B tier: Morathi, Miao Ying
C tier: Katarin, Isabella, Sisters of Twilight, Fay Enchantress
D tier: Khalida
F tier: Helebron, Valkia

Would rate Isabella and Khalida both 2 ranks higher if living.

Elttharion

Learned
Listen to facts, people

Alarielle: Queen, good mother to your future children, get to cuck Tyrion.
Morathi: Single mother of a disabled black son. Probably still fucks N'kari on the side and would bring up that he has a bigger dick than you if she wanted to win an argument. Not even royalty and is into stupid mystic crap.

One of these is waifu material, the other is strictly a pump and dump unless you are a reddit cuck.

>Repanse
Aside from not being a foot fetishist, she doesn't have enough personality and is just a pawn of the elves. Repanse is your cute french crusader waifu with an adorable accent.

Just to cover all the bases:

A tier: Alarielle, Repanse
B tier: Morathi, Miao Ying
C tier: Katarin, Isabella, Sisters of Twilight, Fay Enchantress
D tier: Khalida
F tier: Helebron, Valkia

Would rate Isabella and Khalida both 2 ranks higher if living.
You are missing the two vampirates

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom