Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
This game can't handle sieges, so this is a positive.

No. The AI is actually pretty decent during minor sieges. Probably the most effective and some of the hardest battles to win.

It's honestly bizarre how bad they are and how the new maps double down on the worst parts of them. Narrow corridors, bad AI and pathfinding, surprisingly small-scale battles for how big the maps are,

I never played another TW game with better pathfinding. Pathfinding and corridors size are fine. The problems with pathfinding are mainly around wall breaches or if you try using formation move inside a settlement. I personally use shift+click for waypoints but I've seen people use the drag command for specific path to follow and the AI does that precisely and with little hickups. I remember tha days of Medieval II. No, thanks.

As far as the cities per se go, as I said, the narrow passages are fine. What's not fine is when a siege map is comprised 90% by corridors with few to no open spaces. They definitely had different people working on those, some more talented than others. I agree the size of the map is a bit off but I prefer to having it too big than the supersmall settlement maps of Shogun.

archers being way too effective yet again (especially because they can shoot over walls and buildings, which is coconuts)

This is only true because the AI is hellbent on defending walls. If instead they secured more internal checkpoints, the advantages of missile troops during sieges would be halved. That said, currently heavy melee factions like Norsca and WoC are among the best city takers. Missile troops are only superior if you use cheese tactics.

If I were to point out an AI mechanic they went overboard with, the AI is now too good at dodging spells and artillery. I can understand moving around to avoid incoming fire or after a spell is cast, currently tho you can easily see the AI react to every spell as soon as the command is given or, in case of siege weapons, as soon as they are targeted by the models. Bullshit.

low value of utilizing different tactics (you are gimping yourself if you divide your army instead of keeping it together)

During sieges?!? Are we playing the same game? Very few factions benefit from an all out frontal. Usually missile heavy factions. Else, you're so much better off by splitting the attack that it's not even funny. Each melee heavy army wants a front as large as it can manage. if you must squeeze 20 units inside a gate or a couple breaches only to find the full force of the enemy on the other side, you're doing it wrong. Place cavalry on a side an have them go around to distract defenders and take key points. Use flying troops and leaders to force the defenders to split on various front and conjoin them to your melee after they breach in.
Have sneaking troops wait for the right moment and capture victory locations. They lose stalk once the capture start so just deploy on the other side of the map and wait for the enemy to be distracted. There's not much you can do when you need 2 full minutes to reach my skinks before all your bases are belong to us.

overpowered magic in general, etc. etc.

Again, only overpowered if you want to cheese it. Else magic is in a pretty sweet spot atm. Mages are rarer for most factions, Winds are capped at 100 (you can go sligthly above that) and many of the worst offenders (Burning Head) have been rebalanced or nerfed. Imagine, on some army composition I rarely use magic for damage and instead I cast buffs/debuffs. inconceivable!

Ofc, you can still take Tehenhauin and put him on a pterodon, fill his army with chamaleon skinks and stalking heroes on a dinosaur and don't start the actual fight untill you've hit the enemy with 100 winds worth of Flock of Doom but... why?

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Man, now that is a trailer! Got me pumped up yet again!
Makes me almost want to play the game again.

But man, creating an alliance of all order races must be a pain in the ass. Better just to steamroll over them.

ADL

Prophet
The hell are they doing with these DLC collection bundles? I got a couple of the most expensive DLCs from sales and giveaways so now I'm screwed out of getting the complete collection on a 50% discount. You pre-ordered the first game to get Chaos Warriors for free many years ago in the first game? Go fuck yourself. It's included in the complete collection so you can only buy it as a gift. Buy the other bundles at a 40% discount for you. 50% discount for new players only.

I can only buy the Total Warhammer/Total Warhammer 2 DLC collections separately on a 40% discount and it adds up to a dollar more than the complete edition which is $90.85 regardless of whether you own anything or not. There's been better discounts in the past so I wouldn't buy the collection anyways but if they pull some bullshit like this during the summer sale it's gonna suck.
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/30412/Total_War_WARHAMMER_1II_DLC_Collection/
YQzVWWC.png

cydqkgH.png

vWk5Qe2.png

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Good to see they have given up on the horrible WH3 campaign and making the IE the 'real' campaign, available to everyone who bought WH3.

edit: That means they no longer have to implement new factions also into the Realms of Chaos campaign. A limitation that hurt WH2 DLC. Everything also had to fit into the Vortex campaign, or worse, DLC faction mechanics only worked in the Vortex campaign. Now they can ignore RoC and make DLC just for IE.

I hope they fired whoever greenlit the RoC campaign.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The hell are they doing with these DLC collection bundles? I got a couple of the most expensive DLCs from sales and giveaways so now I'm screwed out of getting the complete collection on a 50% discount. You pre-ordered the first game to get Chaos Warriors for free many years ago in the first game? Go fuck yourself. It's included in the complete collection so you can only buy it as a gift. Buy the other bundles at a 40% discount for you. 50% discount for new players only.

I can only buy the Total Warhammer/Total Warhammer 2 DLC collections separately on a 40% discount and it adds up to a dollar more than the complete edition which is $90.85 regardless of whether you own anything or not. There's been better discounts in the past so I wouldn't buy the collection anyways but if they pull some bullshit like this during the summer sale it's gonna suck.
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/30412/Total_War_WARHAMMER_1II_DLC_Collection/
YQzVWWC.png

cydqkgH.png

vWk5Qe2.png
Do not buy DLC, idiot. You can get access to everything without paying a dime.

tabacila

Augur
I hope they fired whoever greenlit the RoC campaign.
Knowing CA they're probably in charge of designing the next TW title. Ready to once again drop a deuce and leave it to another team to clean it up.

Anyway, this whole IE is available to everybody is an unexpectedly good more by CA.
Yes, because Realms of Chaos was a stupidly shit campaign, but for me mostly because, as someone already pointed out, it no longer requires future content to have a presence on the RoC map.
This means there's a huge chance we'll finally get rid of the last Empire clones in Tilea/Estalia/Border Princes once a Southern Realms/Dogs of War DLC comes out. Or that we get a WoC like update for the VC bloodlines and have a Strigoi empire in the badlands.

Istill want my siege and garrison overhauls or tweaks or changes - anything that'll make them not as trash
I really don't think the engine or their devs are capable of solving the siege issues.

Elttharion

Learned
That part of the trailer with Gelt and Zhao was interesting. It would be cool if they sent Gelt east, I always thought his campaign mechanics made no sense and were pretty lazy. The problem is that Cathay is so easy to defend it gets boring, adding another order LL there would probably make the campaign feel even more claustrophobic as in my experience the dragons already split Cathay among them and you would have a hard time expanding with Gelt.

Hopefully they end up expanding the map towards Ind and Kuresh some day.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So wait, those patch notes are pathetic. They made a big fuss about IE being a beta and ended up fixing portholes and clipping?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The hell are they doing with these DLC collection bundles?
Usually developers will add extra discounts for each item in the bundle already owned, but I guess they disabled it for this bundle.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They could easily milk TWW3 with abundance of lord and factions DLC's for at least 4-5 more years. Will they, tho'?
I don't see why not. Since IE came out, it has been averaging about as many monthly players as WH2 was. A bit less overall, though.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Tried it l, fully functional but limited to only a handfull of factions, funny that most of them are chaos factions and that the empire isn't even playable.

Yes, you can play with all the factions present in base WH III themselves. The update allows access to the hugeass map. Chaos is bretty gud atm tho, recently updated and fun to play!

Empire, Dwarves, Greenskins and Vampire Counts are in game 1
High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen and Skaven in game 2

Everyone else is either a DLC or FreeLC (Bretonnia). You probably also need the corrisponding base game tho, not sure. Ask Fedora Master, if you don't want to pay for all the material or "demo" a few factions before you buy.

Mitleser2020

Scholar
You probably also need the corrisponding base game tho, not sure.

No, you do not.

Ownership of DLC for any of the WARHAMMER games unlocks any races/Lords included with the associated game or DLC. So for example, even if you do not own WARHAMMER II, you may still purchase the Rise of the Tomb Kings DLC and enjoy access to Settra the Imperishable, High Queen Khalida, Grand Hierophant Khatep and Arkhan the Black (as long as you own WARHAMMER III).

silly question, probably pleonastic one too: as a tww2 owner (who also is uninterested in chink and rusky armies, and finds them rather retarded), has this crap been fixed enough to warrant an upgrade? of course not for full price.

Immortal empires campaign is generally working just fine. AI still seems to bug out a bit more (it tries to be more reactive but this works to its detriment since it's generally just better off standing still or charging the player with everything). Sieges of major walled settlements also still have the rather annoying towers which fire indefinitely and can be rebuilt, though they were removed from minor settlements without walls. Other than that things are generally improved with better/more balanced mechanics, though some factions having their start position changed can be good or bad depending on your perspective.

The Dopamine Cleric

Prospernaut
Shitposter
SWEGA has really dribbled the ballsack with Total War since Rome 2.

To be honest, I wanted to experiment with the unit collision physics that the orignal Rome engine had, and it was actually pretty lackluster compared to Shogun 2 with Darthmod.

This series is amazing but it requires mods to make it so. The fact that the marketing campaign has cut up the WARHAMMER iteration has made me not buy the second and third title.

It's pretty pathetic the way that games have gone. No one goes outside anymore so apparently these business practices aren't going anywhere.

The game itself is not worth all of the hassel and re-purchasing to play. The artistic direction of the universe is very superficial, even if the combat is wonderful. I love the factions, but they become generic.

It's the same story with all Total War games. Just short of perfection, but short enough for it to be a major pain in the ass. Thanks SWEGA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom