Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Fair enough. Where would you rank Ariel?

Hard to say. She seems too divorced from humanity/human nature to make for a good relationship, along with being too powerful to the point where you're destined to be irrelevant to her. She's clearly modeled after Galadriel from the LotR movie where she prophesizes holding the one ring and ruling the world with absolute domination. At that point it'd be like trying to have a relationship with a force of nature. Or rather, being used by one. Alarielle is clearly the mortal version of Galadriel who is still plenty powerful but not all-mighty, and still has human traits like kindness and humility, which is part of what makes her the superior waifu.

For the record I'm just going on the in-game representation, don't know too much more than that about the warhammer lore.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane

Excellent points. Honestly, I didn't put much thought into it and I have played just a couple Delves campaigns, I simply didn't enjoy them a lot (and as the thread says, after a while HE and DE are a bit .... "standard" as factions and my feeling of weakness and being kinda boring is probably just personal opinion).

Listen to facts, people

Morathi is canonically a monster (not only causes endless problems, she also kinda consorts with men, beasts and demons. I get people like experience, but there's a thing as too much experience.)

Ariel has a frankly horrendous world-model, a heritage of the fact that GW could not model attractive females to save their own skins (and Diaz daemonettes are 20+ years old). Alarielle has a similar problem, her model is frankly mediocre. Isabella gets a plus for being in an extremely faithful and honest married relationship, bar the being an undead monster problem. Repanse is good but offensive accent and no flying mount.

Honestly, like when I was a little 'un and we played tabletop by not fielding named characters (because we were forging our own stories, you see) my deepest love goes for generics. Dreadlords, Sisters of Avelorn, the classic Witch Elves, Wardancers..... a named character can be OP, but it's the common booba rank and file that truly sustains a man.

Tyrr

Liturgist

Good to see they have given up on the horrible WH3 campaign and making the IE the 'real' campaign, available to everyone who bought WH3.

edit: That means they no longer have to implement new factions also into the Realms of Chaos campaign. A limitation that hurt WH2 DLC. Everything also had to fit into the Vortex campaign, or worse, DLC faction mechanics only worked in the Vortex campaign. Now they can ignore RoC and make DLC just for IE.

Last edited:

Tyrr

Liturgist
so anyone that buys warhammer 3 will also get the 1/2 races for the main campaign?
this seems like a desperation move.
Everyone now get the big map (previously you had to own all 3 games for that) with just WH3. But you can only play as the races of the games/DLC you own (but the AI will play all).

It's something they should had been done long ago. The ME/IE campaign is the main draw for most people. The focus should be on these campaigns and not on the smaller ones. All that time and manpower wasted on Vortex or RoC should had been spent on the grand campaign.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
so anyone that buys warhammer 3 will also get the 1/2 races for the main campaign?
this seems like a desperation move.
Everyone now get the big map (previously you had to own all 3 games for that) with just WH3. But you can only play as the races of the games/DLC you own (but the AI will play all).

It's something they should had been done long ago. The ME/IE campaign is the main draw for most people. The focus should be on these campaigns and not on the smaller ones. All that time and manpower wasted on Vortex or RoC should had been spent on the grand campaign.
Also they should remove Denuvo, and speed the game by 30 percent.

ADL

Prophet
Out of beta today. Doubt that means anything beyond a balance pass because it was only a 300mb update.

Managed to buy the game at a cheap price but I haven't played much. It's officially been a year since release. What's the consensus? Is it ready? And how is Blood for the Blood God III?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Out of beta today. Doubt that means anything beyond a balance pass because it was only a 300mb update.

Managed to buy the game at a cheap price but I haven't played much. It's officially been a year since release. What's the consensus? Is it ready? And how is Blood for the Blood God III?
It's the same game as WH2 with better graphics, the gameplay differences are minuscule at best.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

It's kinda ready, even the beta was smooth without any serious bugs.
Khorne is really fun to play so Blood is there.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I watched the trailer now. It's ok, I guess, one of their better ones, but it's less Warhammer and more Warcraft imo. I don't want everyone to buddy up with each other, I want conflict in my conflict-based games ;d Thorgrim had the right idea.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
But Order Tide is canon in Warhammer as I understand? There is the undead as well I guess, but for the most part during End Times most of Order based factions ended up putting Last Stand vs Chaos

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
A limitation that hurt WH2 DLC.
This is excellent news indeed. Woot. I'm especially happy that all the idiots on the Steam forums arguing against the free distribution of IE to everyone owning the third title got the middle finger. Considering the two older games as big scale DLCs for the third is clearly the way to go.

What's the consensus? Is it ready?

It's sufficiently polished, especially if you play as one of the recently revised factions (Warriors of Chaos, Wood Elves, Beastmen and Dark Elves, to a certan degree). Some older campaigns suffer from badly thought starting positions or have mechanics in dire needs of tweaks (Dwarves, most of the Empire factions). There are still a couple bugged out maps, dunno if those are fixed in today's update.

The game is currently fun enough but the AI is abysmal. Both on the strategic and tactical layer. They updated the majority of the big settlement maps to have more than a single wall, they are now approachable on three sides most of the time. That said, big settlements have some really weird layouts, some have glaring weak spots others cannot be approached without suffering fire from one or two towers. They spent loads of dev time and resources on the new minor settlement maps which are quite good per-se (imo) but the community rose up as once they implemented those, the amount of field battles nosedived. You now only trigger the new maps if attacking a minor settlement with defensive buildings, which is pretty rare at best and totally impossible for races lacking such a build option. The result is a major gameplay element they worked on at length, barely comes into play.

WH3 already introduced some changes, supplies can be used to build defensive structures in real time during sieges, magic has been reworked to be less OP (it's still pretty strong) and so on.

Tyrr

Liturgist
They spent loads of dev time and resources on the new minor settlement maps which are quite good per-se (imo) but the community rose up as once they implemented those, the amount of field battles nosedived. You now only trigger the new maps if attacking a minor settlement with defensive buildings, which is pretty rare at best and totally impossible for races lacking such a build option. The result is a major gameplay element they worked on at length, barely comes into play.
The Survival Battles are even worse. So much wasted development time.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The result is a major gameplay element [sieges] they worked on at length, barely comes into play.
This game can't handle sieges, so this is a positive. It's honestly bizarre how bad they are and how the new maps double down on the worst parts of them. Narrow corridors, bad AI and pathfinding, surprisingly small-scale battles for how big the maps are, archers being way too effective yet again (especially because they can shoot over walls and buildings, which is coconuts), fire-and-forget mechanics (towers), low value of utilizing different tactics (you are gimping yourself if you divide your army instead of keeping it together), overpowered magic in general, etc. etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom