Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Bonus points if its on a flying mount and every single unit in the AI army ignores him while you swoop and cast spells.
Lame. I played a bit last patch and I was impressed at how improved this was from wh2. In 2 it was also very passive, in 3 I found that the ai would semi-intelligently direct its archers to chase and fire on my ranged spellcasters, which made it a lot harder to get good casts off against the main army blob.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Grimgor deserves the best start. He's the biggest of them all, isn't he ?

'ead butted that faggot Archaon back to the wastes.

I like the look of the Chaos dwarf units, not so fond of their settlement maps so far, they feel unfinished. Good music (for a change). Great voice acting too. They don't seem to get a unique black orc unit though?!

As expected, they steam roll and turn Into a massive rape train when you get them settled. Feels like huge power creep is occuring here.

AI is definitely worse in this update, they're even more thick as shit when you're sieging.

£10 maybe, £20 or whatever they trying to charge is absolute jokes.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Bonus points if its on a flying mount and every single unit in the AI army ignores him while you swoop and cast spells.
Lame. I played a bit last patch and I was impressed at how improved this was from wh2. In 2 it was also very passive, in 3 I found that the ai would semi-intelligently direct its archers to chase and fire on my ranged spellcasters, which made it a lot harder to get good casts off against the main army blob.

I'm wondering if it's faction based, came off a battle last night were their streltsi were snapshotting my casters.

Trithne

Erudite
Grimgor deserves the best start. He's the biggest of them all, isn't he ?

'ead butted that faggot Archaon back to the wastes.

I like the look of the Chaos dwarf units, not so fond of their settlement maps so far, they feel unfinished. Good music (for a change). Great voice acting too. They don't seem to get a unique black orc unit though?!

As expected, they steam roll and turn Into a massive rape train when you get them settled. Feels like huge power creep is occuring here.

AI is definitely worse in this update, they're even more thick as shit when you're sieging.

£10 maybe, £20 or whatever they trying to charge is absolute jokes.

All the Black Orcs left and they killed the remainder for being a threat. The Chorfs only use Hobgoblins now, since the Hobgoblins are so prone to backstabbing they literally can't organise a riot.

copebot

Learned
I'm close to IE short campaign victory on legendary as Drazhoath at turn 68 (one more settlement to take). I didn't really use any of the main cheeses because I didn't know about them (didn't abuse Cathay caravan farming or know about the labor raiding the Chorf capital trick). The way that it has gone is that a big faction invades from one direction, I fight them until I can peace out, and then immediately I get invaded by some other faction from another direction. The only one that hasn't been willing to sue for peace quickly are the dwarfs. So far, dwarfs have also been the toughest opponent. Irondrakes and trollhammers just really fuck up an infantry + artillery composition. Skaven, ogres, and vampires all haven't been so bad and I killed Imrik first so I haven't had to deal with late game Aryan elf problems.

At least on the higher campaign difficulty, I think crap-stacking with laborers and hobgoblins is the only way to go just because you have so much territory to cover. Even my best stack is just some basic chorf infantry, blunderbusses, and some artillery. If I had to do it again, I think I would have built a second tower sooner because the towers have a good economic building and building lots of factories bloats your territory size a lot. Unlike some of the other start positions, Draz doesn't really have a corner that he can rush towards and you are far away from most other chaos factions (AI Kugath sucks so I don't think he counts), so you are always having to put out fires.

If I had to do it again, I'd do the laborer cheese and try to get a bigger territorial base sooner. I wasn't able to take Kugath's area like I had hoped because I was invaded by Clan Mors to the west. I think once you have a secure heartland, you are golden as chorfs, but because your garrisons are so weak, you cannot really leave exposed territory unattended.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
great, more tarded dwarves, who asked for it
8f2.jpg

Grudges_925f3e_7873370.jpg

Elttharion

Learned

I'm wondering if it's faction based, came off a battle last night were their streltsi were snapshotting my casters.
I was playing Chorfs fwiw.

MuckMan

Learned
Finished my Drazoath RoC campaign. I really like them so far, but LoS is still a huge fucking problem, even worse than before for gunpowder units. In the endbattle for the Chorfs my Fireglaives could not even fire at a Gyrobomber in front of them without anything obstructing their view. It was like they could not even see their target, had to send in my Bale Taurus and Drazoath to deal with them.

As far as LoS is concerned there is still the issue that range units do not fire until I give them the order to attack and they move like an inch closer and then suddenly fire. Fucking stupid, but what can we expect from a small indie developer....

Gonna start a Nurgle IE campaign now, time to see for myself how difficult Ghorst is.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gonna start a Nurgle IE campaign now, time to see for myself how difficult Ghorst is.
The two most painful things you can do in a WH3 campaign:
1. Fight Wood Elves
2. Fight low-damage tank sponges as a low-damage tank sponge (and enjoy 50-80% of his armies just respawning right away)

.... enjoy!

On a more serious note, try to have your flies, hero(es) and Ku'Gath go for the aura units like mortis engines - those are the real threats.
Also, save up and beeline for the 10k military buildings ASAP or your campaign will be even slower.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Nurgle mechanics just weren't thought out properly. You'd think you are supposed to soften up the enemy with plagues, but the AI has attrition resistance even on the lowest campaign difficulty so it's never worth the time or infection investment.

Attrition is alright if you use the +50% attrition bonus on your plagues (which does take some time to unlock). An AI defending a settlement with an army will take like 5 turns till it gets to the point where you can trivially auto-resolve it since both the settlement and army are at like 50% units dead. It's definitely slow but it does mean you can crack the strongest enemy defenses with time.

It's the settlement/unit recruitment mechanics that enrage me. Nurgle units from the start are pretty much the worst suited for Campaigns since their strategy is to be slow, little micro, just wait and outlast them in melee. Against an AI that gets melee buffs. Ontop of this your recruitment means you have a random assortment of every shitty unit in the game and it becomes unmanagable. You want an army of Chaos Warriors? Great, have fun waiting 30 turns to get 4 of them or w/e. I'm sure its cool once you're huge and all your settlements can stack up 10 of every unit in reserve and you can basically hire whole high tier armies in 1 turn, but getting to that point sucks.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
The plague system is great once you get it up and running but again Festus does it better than Ku'Gath. There are very few factions in a TW game I dont get to grips with and that fuck is one of them.

Also: No ranged units in a game that has popamole siege towers.
e: The shit you can pick up with CD caravans is pretty cool. I got a mammoth AND a war sphinx just like that.

Last edited:
Ku'Gath does have slightly better plague abilities but otherwise yeah. Basically the only thing that makes him decent is Ku'Gath himself, who is an amazing lord by being a caster, an artillery, and decent in melee. But then Festus himself is also amazing. In fact Festus is arguably one of the best lords early on since his silly strong healing/damage auras are all active from turn 1 and he can chew through endless low tier infantry with them no sweat.

Also just loading up as Nurgle for 10s I'm reminded: Nurgle red line bonuses SUCK ASS. Every type of unit has at least one shit bonus, like +9 charge bonus, +12 armor, +10% speed.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Fuuuuuuck, the AI dodges Dreadquakes like a champ even on Hard.

Dropping a LL from 100% to 10% within a single blunderbus volley does make up for it though.

Last edited:

MuckMan

Learned
The two most painful things you can do in a WH3 campaign:
1. Fight Wood Elves
2. Fight low-damage tank sponges as a low-damage tank sponge (and enjoy 50-80% of his armies just respawning right away)

.... enjoy!

On a more serious note, try to have your flies, hero(es) and Ku'Gath go for the aura units like mortis engines - those are the real threats.
Also, save up and beeline for the 10k military buildings ASAP or your campaign will be even slower.
I know what kind of grindfest awaited me, I did play Nurgle in RoC before :-D.

Caught Ghorst in an ambush and wiped out his Crypt Horrors and aura units. He had no Mortis Engine though, I guess they changed it to a Black Coach. It is easy to recruit 2 Exalted Heroes of Nurgle early and they do well against Ghorst's Lords, Heroes and single entities and the moment you get Blight Boil, you just eradicate early game vamp units. I was also lucky that Greasus declared war on him and destroyed one or two crap armies of his. He was dead by turn 20-something.

After defeating Ghorst I went south and conquered the Eastern Colonies and now I am invading the south-pole, mostly because you have to destroy Kairos as part of Ku'Gaths victory condition. I also noticed that you can get Soul Grinder rather early with Nurgle, I mean it is very expensive, but still.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
This constant talk of "laborers" with the CD is starting to grate on me. And no, the argument "Dark Elves already have slaves" is fucking retarded.

copebot

Learned
I'm getting pretty close to the long campaign victory conditions as Drazhoath. All in all, it wasn't that bad. I went wrong in not building enough towers early on, but you are also kind of influence-poor in the early game as well. As soon as you start pumping them out, the economy gets a lot better. I think it's generally not good to have more than ~600-800 laborers in a province. Once you get past 1000 in a province on legendary, it becomes a slave-sink. The technologies and seats that give you PO also make managing everything a lot easier.

In terms of units, I relied on laborers, hobgoblins, and a smattering of regular chorf warriors, blunderbusses, and magma cannons here and there. Now that I'm getting closer to the end, I'm running short on armaments, but I had a big surplus of them for a long time that I used for convoys. I just had too much territory to cover to invest that much into the more advanced units. Now that the main dwarf factions are all dead, Mors is on the ropes, and I'm strength rank #1, I can pick apart the rest of the map. It was a little disappointing to have to stick to the mostly early game units for around 80 turns. Then again, if this were WH2, a lot of the time I would not be able to expand this quickly and might be facing an alliance of mega-confederations at around the same time. If I had handled my early game better, I also might have been able to field better stacks since I was hanging on by my fingernails and a prayer for a little bit.

If you run out the clock, get your tech up, and get to the point to which you can confederate the other chorfs, any problems you might have had should be over. The outposts and factories have really bad garrisons, but it also doesn't matter that much if you lose a couple. It's often not really worth it to upgrade them to tier 3 in any case.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Any recommendations for generating more income? I'm in about turn 48 of the Kislev campaign, I have about five trade routes set up, and I've been exploiting the diplomacy commands to demand payments from my surrounding allies, but it's still not enough. My two measly armies are still sucking up too many funds.

Any recommendations for generating more income? I'm in about turn 48 of the Kislev campaign, I have about five trade routes set up, and I've been exploiting the diplomacy commands to demand payments from my surrounding allies, but it's still not enough. My two measly armies are still sucking up too many funds.
How large are you exactly and what's your gross income? Aside from that, use cheaper units mostly. Kislev is a fairly low economy faction and there's not much to do. Of course you can get some small discounts from the blue line on lords but that doesn't do too much.

I recommend building forts everywhere and constantly having the Invocation to Ursun active. For everything except the very strongest enemy stacks you can usually defend minor settlements and almost always defend major settlements with just this while your armies can be on the offense. Causing attrition, +5 defense to all units (from a tech upgrade to the invocation), and the AoE snare can do a lot to let you defend without needing a lord in the area. You can also just farm rebels this way and ignore control buildings.

Kislev has a lot of tech and other bonuses that will extend the usefulness of kossars. Ontop of the +5 defense from the invocation, you've got +4 defense, +4 leadership/MA/MD while fighting chaos, and +range and +AP ranged damage from tech. You can roll strongholder on patriarchs to give +4 defense to armies while in your territory. Tempest and Front magic both have lots of speed decreasers for enemies (Frost directly, Tempest as a global effect whenever they cast, these can all stack to make enemy units unable to move at all), so up to 2 mages can be useful. Try to fold in a few streltsy eventually to snipe lords or armored units.

Last edited:

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Aside from that, use cheaper units mostly.
Thanks for the info but this is about the only thing in it that intrigues me. I hadn't thought of just using more and more of the cheaper units and bolstering them with upgrades. I have been finding that archer units sitting back pelting things while my armored units hold targets in place has been p. effective. I'll probably continue building along those concepts.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks for the info but this is about the only thing in it that intrigues me. I hadn't thought of just using more and more of the cheaper units and bolstering them with upgrades. I have been finding that archer units sitting back pelting things while my armored units hold targets in place has been p. effective. I'll probably continue building along those concepts.
You'll soon unfortunately find out this is one of the very, very few things that actually work.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Kislev's kossaars are insane. They BUTCHER other armies when massed. I tried a Red Tsar campaign and flattened Archaon with 18-stack of kossars. Used chess formation

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Never played kislev, but in general trade routes don't give that much income. Getting -upkeep on your armies from lord skills, and building money producing buildings is the way to go. And don't expect to field multiple good armies until you have a lot of territory.

copebot

Learned

Which Kislev faction are you? Generally you want to follow the Kossar spam advice already posted and get your second main Kislev city as fast as possible. This advice doesn't directly apply for Boris because of his start position. If you are one of the two "race" factions, you want to get through the race as fast as possible by building more churches so that you can get all three major Kislev cities. That's where the bulk of your income in the early-mid game will come from. Sacking, fighting, and taking new territory will be the next most important source of funds, but first you have to save Slavtown.

In this game, trade generally sucks with some minor exceptions. It's a cash bonus that boosts diplomatic relationships more than it is an economic strategy. For Kislev, getting resource buildings is more important for the global bonuses than for the trade money. Other good sources of short term cash include selling settlements you've just taken and don't expect to be able to hold to friendly factions and asking for cash in return for "joining a war" whenever you want to undertake an offensive war.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom