Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Part of my problem -- and this is something that I tend to do with almost any kind of a game that I can -- is that I approached this game, earnestly, with an RPG-mindset.

One cannot do that with this type of game, at least not when starting out as Kislev in the middle of an unprotected valley and a clock ticking that spells instaloss of you don't slow it down.

I don't have the luxury of "exploring" the landscape. I don't have the luxury of casually leveling up my lords and heroes. This is a race for time and one in which you have to either decide to deal with or somehow sidestep incredibly aggressive factions like the "chorfs" (God, I hate little pet names like that) unless you want to get bogged down like I have.

However, I am determined; I'm going to stay the course, I've made some progress, things have stabilized, and I'm dead set on gaining at least that first soul. Hell, even if I have to resort to cheating with a console kill of an army/lord or two just to NOT instalose then I will. I have no shame in doing that.

P.S.: The ability to add cheat codes via console to this game isn't difficult, even if you have the Game Pass version like I do. PM me if interested.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Honestly, modern Total War games are basically Xpand, Xtriminate. In any difficulty higher than normal be it in IE or ROC you need to stabilize fast. Most battles are deathballs where big army goes vs big army and the ones losing theirs lose the game. AI cheat this basically by shitting out armies and recovering their losses in 1 turn so as a player you need to do everything FAST.

This is not 4X game where you can LARP something. You have to expand efficiently quickly otherwise the cheating AI will be coming to you with their doomstacks which you will be too poor to defend.

Most people barely bother playing post turn 80 - 90s because after those initial hurdle the game become walk in the park unless some AI faction managed to become a total powerhouse.

That's why CA need to do the Turn 100 Endgame content like this is an MMO.

That's why CA need to do the Turn 100 Endgame content like this is an MMO.
Curious what you mean by this. A hard limit on the number of turns allowed, or do you mean a fundamental shift in the content post turn 100?
He means this:
Gt5QMti.png

In Immortal Empires one of tomb kings/greenskins/wood elves/vampire counts/skaven will get massive boosts in the form of like 20 free high-tier armies and declare war on the whole world. Its not actually as bad as it sounds since the IM map is way bigger than Chaos campaign and they do run out of steam eventually. All highly configurable as you see, with Ultimate Crisis forcing all of these factions to go super saiyan mode at once. By default is triggers sometime in 110-160 turns or when you achieve a long victory which for most factions is controlling like 70 settlements.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Part of my problem -- and this is something that I tend to do with almost any kind of a game that I can -- is that I approached this game, earnestly, with an RPG-mindset.

One cannot do that with this type of game, at least not when starting out as Kislev in the middle of an unprotected valley and a clock ticking that spells instaloss of you don't slow it down.

I don't have the luxury of "exploring" the landscape. I don't have the luxury of casually leveling up my lords and heroes. This is a race for time and one in which you have to either decide to deal with or somehow sidestep incredibly aggressive factions like the "chorfs" (God, I hate little pet names like that) unless you want to get bogged down like I have.

However, I am determined; I'm going to stay the course, I've made some progress, things have stabilized, and I'm dead set on gaining at least that first soul. Hell, even if I have to resort to cheating with a console kill of an army/lord or two just to NOT instalose then I will. I have no shame in doing that.

P.S.: The ability to add cheat codes via console to this game isn't difficult, even if you have the Game Pass version like I do. PM me if interested.
On normal difficulty you can larp as much as you want because the AI doesn't build armies that can actually threaten you (once you are no longer ignorant of the basic TW mechanics).

Most people play on Hard or Very Hard campaign difficulty and normal battle difficulty so that the AI actually builds armies to fight against.

copebot

Learned
Performance is OK for me this patch apart from late game campaign map performance, which is now totally broken such that I get 20 fps with a pretty strong machine (3080 Ti; 10900k; beastly fans). I stay above 100 fps in most battles at 1440p. The problem isn't really present either in a late game campaign when I scroll to where there are not many armies or in an early campaign that is necessarily low population.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I am fresh on Grimgor campaing, and holy shit with the Chaos Dwarf.

Elite Black Orc army? 3 of them were obliterated with their battle ability. That nuke is ridiculous. Not to mention their map even field battle has a lot of chokepoints for some reason

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
it's total bullshit the AI use some labourer chaff to my black orc and nuke them from orbit, the spell pretty much is unavoidable too if unit is engaged

the only away to do it is using chaf of your own to bait the AI i guess

copebot

Learned
it's total bullshit the AI use some labourer chaff to my black orc and nuke them from orbit, the spell pretty much is unavoidable too if unit is engaged

I dunno man. In WH3 Greenskins are so incredibly strong in every respect that you gotta let the AI do something. Ikit's doomrocket is better than the dreadquake button anyway. As GS, you can press a button to double the number of stacks you have on the map for 20 turns, for free. I'd take that button over dreadquake any day. Also, chaos dwarfs have to build all this shit raw material shit, maintain a labor supply, and so on to get one building that is not actually better than the basic GS economic building.

copebot

Learned
I started a new Wurzag campaign and am strength rank 1 on turn 24 on legendary. Hysterically, I sold a bunch of settlements to Barak Varr to get a non-aggression pact with them and a bunch of cash (not using the settlement swap exploit; just the normal feature). I've taken Karaz-a-Karak and nearly defeated the main dwarf faction and they still have not cancelled the NAP. I'm also sitting at a 66k treasury, 40k of which came from a lucky caravan spawn.

At one point, when Skrag declared war on me, the dwarfs were at war with me, I was still fighting the skaven minor faction at Black Crag, and was running a fat deficit with three turns to bankruptcy I said "fuck it, go big or go home" and declared war on the dwarfs, waagh'ed them, sent a stack blind through the underway to the Border Princes area, sent Wurzag through the underway to Dwarfland, was intercepted by the Dwarfs, beat them, and then somehow beat up Skrag AND Clan Angrund in the subsequent turns while taking Karaz-a-Karak. The beastmen just razed one of my home province minor settlements, but that should all be fine. Savage orc spam is just that good.

I particularly like how his savage orcs can get something like 90% combined phys+missile resist and literally take cannonballs to the face for like 10 damage. A third of a unit goes flying and just gets back up like its no big deal.

Wurrzag's spellcasting is also nuts. I'm 95% sure CA fucked up and swapped the discount he gets on stomp between regular and overcast versions and they've just decided to run with that mistake.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

I dunno man. In WH3 Greenskins are so incredibly strong in every respect that you gotta let the AI do something. Ikit's doomrocket is better than the dreadquake button anyway. As GS, you can press a button to double the number of stacks you have on the map for 20 turns, for free. I'd take that button over dreadquake any day. Also, chaos dwarfs have to build all this shit raw material shit, maintain a labor supply, and so on to get one building that is not actually better than the basic GS economic building.

Well yeah in whole campaign Greenskin rocks. It's just that the nuke just feels annoying to play against. Zar Naggaruth declared war on me (due to raiding tbf) post Waagh so it's kinda annoying that my army get nuked. He had 2 big ass army too and and my main Grimgor army ended up in a bad place and got obliterated (almost taking down both tho). My Gobbo chaffs and smaller orc army ended up holding and got a Waagh on him and he is now wiped (and I got a free Tier 5 Capital).

Still doesn't mean that CD is annoying in combat when your expensive units just got SAT killed.

copebot

Learned
I particularly like how his savage orcs can get something like 90% combined phys+missile resist and literally take cannonballs to the face for like 10 damage. A third of a unit goes flying and just gets back up like its no big deal.

Wurrzag's spellcasting is also nuts. I'm 95% sure CA fucked up and swapped the discount he gets on stomp between regular and overcast versions and they've just decided to run with that mistake.

Just having a ton of fun with this. I've also noticed that they can tank tower shots like it doesn't do that much if the damage is physical. The high physical resist plus the 30% missile resist scrap plus any tech and faction bonuses just make them crazy good.

For whatever reason, when the faction is DUMBER or just mostly melee it makes me want to get more creative on the battle map. I've been LARPing as green caveman Hannibal and adapting the tactics of the battle of Cannae. I keep a shitty and weak center with a lot of gaps, sometimes with savage arrer boys if I have them. Then, I line up most of my savage orcs on both flanks. I harass the other guy with whatever I have that can do that to draw them in to my weak center. Then, I lure them into the gap and collapse both flanks on them. This tends to work especially well with dwarfs because they are so slow.

This doesn't always work because sometimes the AI just goes towards the top of one of the flanks, but if I have an orc shaman / Wurzag, I can punish that clump with a foot of Gork. Most of the time, enough of them chase that it works out.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
6 settlements on turn 80
lol? how?
This will really trigger you:

I'm currently on turn no. 125 and I have a grand total of 11 settlements. I'm only now finally going after my first daemon's soul and I still am having to fend off repeated chaos dwarf incursions from multiple angles.

HA HA! #FUCKYOUZOOMERS #ESTABLISHEDAUTISM #OLDSCHOOLSNAILSPACE

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
My turn 70 save goes kapput due to mod updating. As I have like 60 mods or smth it's probably impossible to troubleshoot.

Man I love modded gameplay of TWW but this has been happening multiple time it's annoying.

pickmeister

Learned
My turn 70 save goes kapput due to mod updating. As I have like 60 mods or smth it's probably impossible to troubleshoot.

Man I love modded gameplay of TWW but this has been happening multiple time it's annoying.
Can't you go into View My Subscriptions and sort there by Date Subscribed to find out which one it is?
IO5wQ3R.png

E83QWF8.png

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

Can't you go into View My Subscriptions and sort there by Date Subscribed to find out which one it is?
IO5wQ3R.png

E83QWF8.png
hmmm the problem is that... the save is not working without some of those very mod too

I'll try trouble shooting I guess tonight, thanks for the info

I dunno how you could avoid that problem without keeping Steam in offline mode for your entire duration of play.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
6 settlements on turn 80
lol? how?
This will really trigger you:

I'm currently on turn no. 125 and I have a grand total of 11 settlements. I'm only now finally going after my first daemon's soul and I still am having to fend off repeated chaos dwarf incursions from multiple angles.

HA HA! #FUCKYOUZOOMERS #ESTABLISHEDAUTISM #OLDSCHOOLSNAILSPACE
There is no point wasting your time on Realms of Chaos campaign for that long. You learn the ropes better by restarting campaigns and playing for 20-40 turns, than finishing one. And get a lot more out of them in terms of enjoyment. The campaign mechanics in RoC force you to send a deathstack in the chaos realms that aren't fun locations to play and if you fail to do it fast enough, the AI wins. Immortal Empires is much more enjoyable.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I mean so long you are happy I guess. There can be some fun LARPING eternal war in warhammer too I guess instead doing it in most optimum way possible

I wish there could be sort of extended diplomacy and mission structure in TW

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom