Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Trailer News: Dragon Commander

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Swen: Yes, but really good ones? I mean, including myself and including all our colleagues, there’s not a single one of them of them [who can name a truly great RPG]. I talk to developers, we all know what we want to create.

Why are they making this mediocre "might-be-sort-of-fun-I-guess"-stuff then?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Swen: Yes, but really good ones? I mean, including myself and including all our colleagues, there’s not a single one of them of them [who can name a truly great RPG]. I talk to developers, we all know what we want to create.

Because money. Read the rest of the interview. Or wait for my newspost. ;)

Harold

Arcane
What makes part of the aura of Larian is the fact that they don't take themselves too seriously. I prefer them doing raunchy 14 year old schoolboy jokes than no joke at all.
Besides they don't try to hide anything, it's out in the open, which is better than the endless parade of false motives and political (read hypocritical) correctness that certain big names have been feeding us for years...
Fair enough, but this + trying to add as many features to your game + bad managerial skills will always end up with a muddled game. You don't have to be all serious business to get some balance between what you supposedly value, humour, and what is actually valuable for an rpg. Using the former as an excuse to justify the inevitable fucking-up of the latter is kind of an ass-backwards way of going about things imo

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
You don't have to be all serious business to get some balance between what you supposedly value, humour, and what is actually valuable for an rpg. Using the former as an excuse to justify the inevitable fucking-up of the latter is kind of an ass-backwards way of going about things imo

We'll see about that, but fo now my impression is that their strategy is using DC as a showcase that will draw as much light and as many customer as possible (hence the awesome + humour combination), while their true ambitions regarding gameplay and design went into Divinity.
I might be wrong but then again that's the feeling i get.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Because money.

I see a lot of studios being able to make (hopefully) great RPGs on much smaller budgets than what Larian apparantly have available.

Gord

Arcane
I'm a bit doubtful about Dragon Commander, tbh.
It looks like a game that might easily turn out to be much too ambitious in its mix of different elements.
It can work out and give a great game, but the danger that they end up with some hodgepodge of half-baked ingredients is relatively high.
Personally I've got more faith in the other Divinity game than this one, but we will see.
I certainly hope for the best for them.

Harold

Arcane
We'll see about that, but fo now my impression is that their strategy is using DC as a showcase that will draw as much light and as many customer as possible (hence the awesome + humour combination), while their true ambitions regarding gameplay and design went into Divinity.
I might be wrong but then again that's the feeling i get.

If that's truly the case, then it's a p. smart decision. Maybe Swen is a learning animal after all. Like you said, we'll have to wait and see; I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Larian seems to always go for these huge high concept worlds but never quite get them right in the execution. One thing i would like to know from anyone who is informed, are they backed by government funds? i know many european developers get tax benefits and low interest loans.

hiver

Looks, sounds and feels like a game made for 12 year olds.

Whats going on with sending an agent to investigate Larian up and personal?

Severian Silk

Larian should be focusing on making games instead of the lulz.

DC looks pretty lame IMO.

:shrug:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Video is pretty bad, humor was awful.

A fantasy version of Battlezone, where you are a dragon could be fun though.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Larian make childish games? Larian make childish games, but they are self aware enough and don't take themselves so seriously, it is a childsh that is more charming than dumb. If someone want to see really childsh games they only need to go to bethesda and Bioware. "I'm the Dragonborn, the chosen one with epic voice and I want to go on a epic quest to save the epic world" or "Shepard, I'm a 12 years old virgin with daddy issues I only need your cock in my vagina to solve my problems". Anyone who met the Dragon Terror Patrol on divinity 2 and didn't, at least, smile is way too jaded to find anything funny. I prefer more traditional RPG than the ARPG they make but Divine Divinity 2 is way better than shit like Oblivion, mass effect 3 and DA 2.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Guess it's good they're making multiple titles but I have little to no interest in RTS games and this doesn't look like a particularly strong one, anyway.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Larian make childish games? Larian make childish games, but they are self aware enough and don't take themselves so seriously, it is a childsh that is more charming than dumb.
The first question I was asked was along the lines of: “there’s a gay Dwarf couple from X town who demand the right to marry, should we allow them to marry?” I heard the plea’s from every race, and all their objections – objections that were, sometimes, direct political quotes from global parties – and then made my decision. Based on my decision, certain parties affiliation with me would either increase or decrease. This allows me to unlock certain abilities and upgrades from parties in my favour. There was no way to know what decision would unlock what, but it didn’t seem to matter. I was making important decisions that I recognized from real life. It wasn’t “gay marriage is okay,” so much as “what do you think about gay marriage?” Larian Studios had taken the time to cover all angles, and this is why the RPG element, with the unique and richly characterized factions, is wholly impressive.

My decline or acceptance of gay marriage would go on to spark another debate later in the game. Given that I accepted the Dwarven plea, I’m told I would later have to decide whether or not homosexual soldiers in the army is acceptable.
I’m told that, for instance, I can either bring the racist Lizard into tolerance, or embrace his racism, therefore causing all sorts of diplomatic problems: “If you make him even more racist, he might go to another faction on a mission and just punch the king, or something.”
Childish is right. Not sure about the self-aware part. I'm suspecting that Rhianna Pratchett's script doctoring was the only redeeming part of Divinity 2 plus expansion.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Problem is the self-aware shit has been done to death. Most often it is simply developers being lazy so they can avoid writing/creating a plausible and semi-interesting setting.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Problem is the self-aware shit has been done to death. Most often it is simply developers being lazy so they can avoid writing/creating a plausible and semi-interesting setting.
i don't remember the last self-aware game I played, most of the time the plot on the latests releases involve boring saving the world, dumb chosen one or grim dark bullshit without any hint of self-awareness. I don't play most of the hipster indie bullshit, so I don't know if you are talking about indie stuff, the mainstream, at least, continue to be as dumb as ever from my point of view. Making really funny dialog requires more talent, any attempt of humor from talentless people result in dumb abominations like Fallout 3. I never saw anything that offended my intelligence on Div Divinity 2 and this is very rare on my opinion.

Akarnir

Educated
I want to choke that fucking lizard. Really annoying tone, not even funny. I muted the rest of the video.

Beside, were can I get actual objective information on the gameplay? It looks interresting.

The high fantasy setting is shit however. It makes me want to puke. Just to much absurd stuff going on everywhere. And this one is particularly over the top, like FF.

Tytus

Arcane
I want to choke that fucking lizard. Really annoying tone, not even funny. I muted the rest of the video.

Yet, there are probably people that would want to engage in an intercourse with that lizard. Go figure. :M

Akarnir

Educated

Yet, there are probably people that would want to engage in an intercourse with that lizard. Go figure. :M

405000_485152201530154_1468862410_n.jpg

So this is how he wants to approach real life issues? By comparing gay marriage to sick zoophilia?

and all that steampunky high fantasy...

Tytus

Arcane

405000_485152201530154_1468862410_n.jpg

So this is how he wants to approach real life issues? By comparing gay marriage to sick zoophilia?

and all that steampunky high fantasy...

What is this, I don't even.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom