Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

deuxhero

Arcane
A large romhack for the first Mega Man Star Force game has been released. It does a lot of things, but it restores the cut Boktai crossover stuff and translates it, so it belongs in this thread.
https://forums.therockmanexezone.com/mega-man-star-force-dx-t16546.html

I've seen these isometric Mega Man games for years but never played any of them, are they any good?

Battle Network 2, 3, and 6 and Star Force 3 are considered amazing. BN1 (it was a first attempt and a launch title so it's really underpolished. Even the DS remake has some improvements, but not enough), 5 (too much filler, limited combat options) and SF1 (without this patch) are merely OK. BN4 (everything about this is crap and there's enough wrong with it to cover in its own post) and SF2 (more polished combat than the first game, but everything else suffers thanks to terrible writing and an absurd random encounter rate) are crap. Play Operation Shooting Star (remake of BN1) till you get bored of it, then look up the twist and skip to 2.

Duraframe300

Arcane
The Sakura Wars (Saturn) patch got a surprise update:

Romhacking.net - Translations - Sakura Wars

• Lip syncing works now
  • Fixed sprite glitches during battles
  • New battle menus
  • Script has received a major polish pass
  • Translated menus in theater mode
  • Koi Koi tournament has been patched
  • Fixed colors in load screen prior to battles
  • System warning screens have been translated
  • “Vechanya Slava” special move changed to “Park Villoi”
  • Fixed corrupted “Obstacle” image
  • Translated the “Fin” image

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
We're done. Ricardo should have something for you this week.

zjRfjur.png

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Derringer

Prophet

Derringer

Prophet
Not much different really, it's a cheap port of the PS1 version with the redone backgrounds and music but they're GBA-tier quality-asset ports with the shitty gradients and crackling mono music. It's a tiny bit faster than the SNES version and has a auto-map button like SMT2 but you'd just end up fucking around with it moreso than anything else.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not much different really, it's a cheap port of the PS1 version with the redone backgrounds and music but they're GBA-tier quality-asset ports with the shitty gradients and crackling mono music. It's a tiny bit faster than the SNES version and has a auto-map button like SMT2 but you'd just end up fucking around with it moreso than anything else.
At least it has the benefit of an easier access to a fast-forward button, due to GBA hardware being easier to emulate across the board. But, I would like to see a PS1 port as well.

Lord knows most JRPGs need a fast-forward button.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Fast-forward with normal music, to be more exact. The former can be easily solved with emulators, but it usually fucks up the sound too.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Gotta say, PSX translations have really picked up steam.
Hasn't basically every game of note on the NES and SNES been translated? Genesis too, I'm sure. By process of elimination, people would naturally be trying to work on PSX games, since every other system has either been done, too obscure, or difficult to decompile and recompile.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Hasn't basically every game of note on the NES and SNES been translated? Genesis too, I'm sure. By process of elimination, people would naturally be trying to work on PSX games, since every other system has either been done, too obscure, or difficult to decompile and recompile.
Far from it. Just because you haven't heard of some cool stuff that never left Japan it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Some games are a massive bitch to hack and take years until someone skillful and motivated enough actually gets to them.

To avoid talking out of my ass, I'll give you one notable example: SNES has Maten Densetsu: Senriitsu no Ooparts, which I jokingly refer to as 'true SMT3'.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Far from it. Just because you haven't heard of some cool stuff that never left Japan it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Some games are a massive bitch to hack and take years until someone skillful and motivated enough actually gets to them.

To avoid talking out of my ass, I'll give you one notable example: SNES has Maten Densetsu: Senriitsu no Ooparts, which I jokingly refer to as 'true SMT3'.

Or this https://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/bakumatsu-krinden-oni/screenshots

PSX games that i would like to see translations:

Draqon Quest IV - this game needs a translation, it's the best version.

Persona 1 - without all the fucked up shit from revelations, the PSP version of Persona 1 is not my thing.

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner Soul Hackers - i would like to play the original version.

Front Mission 2 - with the event scripts translated.

Wizardry 7 - just for fun.

GrowLanser - yeah, no idea why this game does not have a translation yet.

Summon Night series - the strategy RPG series.

this game also looks fun:

Also, i would like to see a retranslation of Wild Arms 2 because the original translation is really bad, this game is supposed to have a great story but i can't understand wtf going on in this game.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

Okay, I probably should have clarified that, just haphazardly sticking the difficult to recompile bit at the end doesn't cut it. Nothing much "easy" is left to translate on those systems, so the comparatively harder PSX system is now the default "easy" choice.

Also Langrisser 1&2 would be a good PSX game to have a translation:

Better than the Steam version of Langrisser 1&2 ? i don't know, but it looks way better.

Not PSX games but Langrisser III and V also needs an english translation so we can have all the Langrisser games in english.

Edit: Correction, Langrisser V it's a PSX game and needs translation !

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The translated PC version of Langrisser is based on the PSX version via the Saturn version, at least that's my understanding

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom