Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

Endemic

Arcane
So what is the deal with the translations of Mizzurna Falls? There's this thing, apparently there was a different full translation before.

Patching it into the game (and without bugs, at that) is the issue.

Duraframe300

Arcane
So what is the deal with the translations of Mizzurna Falls? There's this thing, apparently there was a different full translation before.

Patching it into the game (and without bugs, at that) is the issue.

Yeah, main problem is that the directly translated script is just way too big to fit into the iso. Which is why the rewrite in theory made sense. (Except for the outright changed parts that still have not been clarified).

There are also bugs that you can't get rid off. From the readme:

Mizzurna Falls suffers from a bug that may cause the world to fail to load when driving in the overworld. This bug may have occured in the original game, as a result of the game's open-world design pushing the PS1 to its limits, but more testing is needed. It may or may not happen during your playthrough, but in case it does, it's recommended that you play on an emulator with a rewind feature, and that you keep the rewind feature enabled. If the bug occurs, simply reload to about 30 seconds before it happened, and continue normally. We do not believe this bug occurs when playing on actual hardware, but do not have enough data to confirm this. If choosing to play the game on actual hardware, save frequently.

You should also be aware of a bug Evie documents in her walkthrough, which she dubs "Event Layering". As she writes:

"Event Layering is a phenomenon that can occur as a result of inarguably poor game design. (But let's give Human Entertainment a break, because this game is years ahead of its time.) An example of Event Layering would be if Matthew arrives at a location and a scene begins automatically with character A whilst character B is calling him at that exact moment on the phone. Matthew will either be unable to answer the phone, or he will answer the phone and proceed to have two different conversations simultaneously. In this case your best option is to restart from your last save and try to readjust your timing, for example by waiting for the phone call and making sure to hang up before arriving at the location where the other event will be triggered."

So yeah, savefiles are a necessity for this game.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
HG101 assblasted them for literally translating a Japanese slur for trans people (afaik it was reclaimed by them in Japan but hey, get mad at them anyway).
And I thought being mad at someone for saying nigger regardless of context was bad...
EA banned some japanese for saying "nigero!" in one of their shitty shooters. Everything is about kwan niggers these days. Even if it's just word from another language and has nothing with niggers at all.

Gastrick

Cipher
HG101 assblasted them for literally translating a Japanese slur for trans people (afaik it was reclaimed by them in Japan but hey, get mad at them anyway).
And I thought being mad at someone for saying nigger regardless of context was bad...
EA banned some japanese for saying "nigero!" in one of their shitty shooters. Everything is about kwan niggers these days. Even if it's just word from another language and has nothing with niggers at all.
That's retarded. Even when absolutely no one gave a shit 4 years ago they were still overreacting. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jun/03/bill-maher-hbo-real-time-ben-sasse
Nigger is such common word that it doesn't have any shock-value anymore.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Apparently some autist managed to cram the whole, unedited script of Mizzurna Falls into the game. This is the original translation, not the one advertised all over that has been trimmed down and (((Westernized))).

Here's the link.

Latro

Arcane
The result of Cirosan’s rewrites is a full localization of Mizzurna Falls that helps dialogue sound more natural and conversational, in addition to altering certain characters and elements to be more effective with Western audiences.
;)
Owl translation is a lot closer to the script/closer to the "Resident Evee" translation. Cirosan's "localization" adds a bunch of shit that isn't there. If you're going to play the Owl translation (as you should), then Owl has said the XEBRA PSX emulator is the one to choose - it has no bugs when playing the game unlike other PSX emulators. To complicate matters, resetera is releasing a third Mizzurna Falls translation in a few days.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Soon™

PmZxJpC.jpg

yycwlhV.jpg

CwtayzU.jpg

k6PowmP.jpg

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Awesome, I remember thinking it was a shame it never got translated into English. A M&M-style game that's pure sci-fi? I can only hope its as good as it sounds.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The hell, I was just thinking about Starfire the other day and how it never got brought to the west. It's an exceptional case where a gajin provided the game design for a Japanese Company because they liked his work so much.

That's just plain awesome. Really looking forward to this one.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
A M&M-style game that's pure sci-fi? I can only hope its as good as it sounds.
I'd say to expect something different. If you feel like spoiling yourself early...

It plays like a simple realtime dungeon crawler (or a clunky grid-based FPS) with space combat that feels like a wave-based shooting gallery.
It starts pretty linear, but then opens up a bit, allowing you to travel between different systems, visit various space stations, hunt space pirates and figure out your next objective.

gajin provided the game design for a Japanese Company because they liked his work so much
From what I've gathered from the dev history, design notes from Mr. Wood, and various rumors, it's likely that the initial design (IIRC conceived as something similar to Star Command) was dropped, then Mr. Wood got dropped from the project, and the end result ended up being a different game, a realtime dungeon crawling adventure.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I just finished Starfire. From what I've gathered, it only reused some ideas from the original concept (mostly the setting/premise).

It feels like, and there are rumors out there, that a much bigger game was planned before Starcraft closed its doors, and the version that's out there was limited by the space available on floppies.

Apart from a shitty difficulty spike when the game opens up, it's not terrible. For a fun little dungeon adventure with a space opera plot that can be finished in one evening, it works.

However...

The combat started to wear out its welcome about halfway through the game. It's too simple, but the fun comes from examining the map, mapping the path of least resistance in your head, then storming your way to the objective.

I'll let you guys know when the translation is out.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Simple combat to focus on the dungeons, routing, resources etc. seems to be a very common early JPC ARPG thing. Ys being the prime example, but also all of early Falcom is like that.

My interpretation is they took the whole pacman x wizardry thing really to heart.

Ofc. it's nicer to get both good combat and good crawling but it's also nice to have these all about the crawl games. Kind of like Castlevania (combat + platforming) vs Mario (just platforming)

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Simple combat to focus on the dungeons, routing, resources etc. seems to be a very common early JPC ARPG thing. Ys being the prime example, but also all of early Falcom is like that.

My interpretation is they took the whole pacman x wizardry thing really to heart.

Ofc. it's nicer to get both good combat and good crawling but it's also nice to have these all about the crawl games. Kind of like Castlevania (combat + platforming) vs Mario (just platforming)
This game is also fairly linear in terms of dungeon design, but when it opens up, you usually have one global objective (e.g. eliminate all pirates in nearby systems) and the game doesn't care how you're going to do it.

Dungeons lack any pickups, it's mostly you vs enemies + occasional story events. And it's fairly short, only took me a few hours to finish. Feels like a game that had a grand vision, but was reworked into a smaller project.

Come to think of it, I think an indie game that builds upon this concept could work today, if the land & space combat had significant improvements and there was more content in the game world.

Also, I chuckled when I noticed that the game has separate health for the Motor Shell and the pilot, similarly to DGT/DGJ... except my concept is more complex due to the man-machine-weapon synergy. It's a funny coincidence, and I wonder if they wanted to do more with this kind of system.

LJ40

Cipher
Don't remember if this has been brought up: It's not quite at 100% yet, and the original version is already in English, but Tales of Destiny Director's Cut (PS2) has a translation. Supposedly is ~98-99% done, and absolutely able to be completed.

https://github.com/furiousg4m3r/Tales-of-Destiny-DC/releases/tag/v0.0.188

Edit - Really, I just hope this leads to Destiny 2 getting a translation someday.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
The games discussed in this thread are like 10 times more interesting and better than any current indie or AAA games.
Games in a foreign language you don't speak have an appeal those games don't. You lack an essential ability to play those games properly, not speaking the language. With that barrier, that makes a potentially already interesting game even more interesting. This doesn't necessarily apply exclusively to Japanese games, its just that's the country with the biggest amount of games not in English.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The games discussed in this thread are like 10 times more interesting and better than any current indie or AAA games.
Games in a foreign language you don't speak have an appeal those games don't. You lack an essential ability to play those games properly, not speaking the language. With that barrier, that makes a potentially already interesting game even more interesting.

True. I still find it fascinating that this is how Wizardry, and the dungeon crawler genre in general, took such a hold on imaginations in Japan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom