Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

Not sure if it's been discussed here, but even though it's old news, I finally gave Retroarch's auto translation feature (OCR->text) a go, and it's pretty fucking amazing. Of course, it's broken English most of the time, but you can make out things well enough and to have that running in realtime with a touch of a button is just incredible.

edit: spekkio RetroArch 1.7.8 – AI Service – How To Set It Up – Libretro

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Not sure if it's been discussed here, but even though it's old news, I finally gave Retroarch's auto translation feature (OCR->text) a go, and it's pretty fucking amazing. Of course, it's broken English most of the time, but you can make out things well enough and to have that running in realtime with a touch of a button is just incredible.

DRPG Book introduced me to the feature, he uses it when he tries out various jap crawlers, kinda amazing where the tech already is and where it will be in a couple of years

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

edit: spekkio RetroArch 1.7.8 – AI Service – How To Set It Up – Libretro

I did not know such a thing existed, so that post was worth it for me thanks for the headsup!

Jinn

Arcane
Damn, they tore through that project. Tom and DDS have been absolute beasts lately. Really excited to try this one out. Looks super unique.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
SerratedBiz

HG101 assblasted them for literally translating a Japanese slur for trans people (afaik it was reclaimed by them in Japan but hey, get mad at them anyway).

lightbane

Arcane
That's the same group behind the translation? I thought the translator retired because he was fed up with having to deal with death threats from trannies and such.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's the same group behind the translation? I thought the translator retired because he was fed up with having to deal with death threats from trannies and such.
He came back afterward. Took a while but he's finished like 4 games counting this one since he came back.

I don't know if any trans people in particular sent him virtriol, but any hate buzz aimed at him pretty much ceased immediately. The programmer had little/no such hate, and they've been working fine.

Gastrick

Cipher
HG101 assblasted them for literally translating a Japanese slur for trans people (afaik it was reclaimed by them in Japan but hey, get mad at them anyway).
And I thought being mad at someone for saying nigger regardless of context was bad...

spekkio

Arcane
The result of Cirosan’s rewrites is a full localization of Mizzurna Falls that helps dialogue sound more natural and conversational, in addition to altering certain characters and elements to be more effective with Western audiences.
;)

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The result of Cirosan’s rewrites is a full localization of Mizzurna Falls that helps dialogue sound more natural and conversational, in addition to altering certain characters and elements to be more effective with Western audiences.
;)

To be honest I'm okay with this as long as they are explicit about being a rewrite rather than a translation. Helps me know to stay the fuck away from it.

Duraframe300

Arcane
;)

That would be a red flag, but could in the best case just be localization dependant changes.

The problem is twofold here though:

A: The setting is america to begin with. So, I really doubt there were cultural references and such that needed localization.

B: Even worse, the readme is barebones and doesn't mention the changes, so no way to get your own opinion.

I do want to play Mizzurna Falls sometimes, but will only do so when A: the changes are made official or B: theres an addendum correcting these changes.

FFS modders.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
So what is the deal with the translations of Mizzurna Falls? There's this thing, apparently there was a different full translation before. Both of which are interesting to me, since I was under the impression that the game was a pain in the ass to translate, because I have a v0.8 translation of the game, because I was also under the impression that the one team doing anything about it had some kind of horrible drama go on between themselves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom