Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Games in a foreign language you don't speak have an appeal those games don't. You lack an essential ability to play those games properly, not speaking the language. With that barrier, that makes a potentially already interesting game even more interesting.

True. I still find it fascinating that this is how Wizardry, and the dungeon crawler genre in general, took such a hold on imaginations in Japan.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. These games are not just different in terms of language, but culturally as well. Their design philosophy in terms of gameplay, difficulty and mechanics is particular to the place where they were made and the people who made them (kind of like different western companies have different design philosophies, but at a greater magnitude).

It's like suggesting that the main reason people like sushi is because the names of the rolls are in Japanese.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Games in a foreign language you don't speak have an appeal those games don't. You lack an essential ability to play those games properly, not speaking the language. With that barrier, that makes a potentially already interesting game even more interesting.

True. I still find it fascinating that this is how Wizardry, and the dungeon crawler genre in general, took such a hold on imaginations in Japan.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. These games are not just different in terms of language, but culturally as well. Their design philosophy in terms of gameplay, difficulty and mechanics is particular to the place where they were made and the people who made them (kind of like different western companies have different design philosophies, but at a greater magnitude).

It's like suggesting that the main reason people like sushi is because the names of the rolls are in Japanese.
I was only suggesting it as a contributing factor. I feel like that's true in some cases. Threads on the graphics of Japanese computers, for instance, tend to have a few of these titles, though I couldn't tell you which ones. We tend to appreciate the art of those games more than comparable art of Amiga or late DOS games. Obviously, titles like Starfire or the Power Dolls series appeal greatly due to other reasons, but its hard to think they would have the same interest surrounding them if they were always in English, merely being neat games that get brought up sometimes.

Hi everyone,

I will make my first post announcing that someone has surprise translated Moon Remix RPG adventure on PS1.

I checked it and i'm even more surpised that it's a entierely new translation and not a port of the switch one.

So for people who want to play the original version, that's just perfect.

spekkio

Arcane
Hi. Welcome to the 'Dex.

But I don't see a link to the translation anywhere in you post, what's up with that, faggit?

:decline:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Don't remember if this has been brought up: It's not quite at 100% yet, and the original version is already in English, but Tales of Destiny Director's Cut (PS2) has a translation. Supposedly is ~98-99% done, and absolutely able to be completed.

https://github.com/furiousg4m3r/Tales-of-Destiny-DC/releases/tag/v0.0.188

Edit - Really, I just hope this leads to Destiny 2 getting a translation someday.
You practically outdated yourself as soon as you posted this.

Few notes here:
That translation you posted is in fact machine translation should anyone care or object.
The team behind the sequel translation has said they are around 75% done with the script, and afterwards are looking to translation DC as well.

Speaking of MTL, Amayui Castle Meister (related to Kamidori Alchemy Mesiter, both nsfw) recently got a finished MTL as well. The patch was removed from VNDB based on that but you can find it p much everywhere I think.

Hi. Welcome to the 'Dex.

But I don't see a link to the translation anywhere in you post, what's up with that, faggit?

That's because english ver is only available where CDs are full of romance.
There's no translation patch or even team as far as i know. It just came out of nowhere.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Hi. Welcome to the 'Dex.

That's because english ver is only available where CDs are full of romance.
There's no translation patch or even team as far as i know. It just came out of nowhere.

Yes, its a leak of the *unfinished* translation patch that was in development before the Switch version released.

Another victim of the *moral* (aka: typical modder insanity) stance to drop translation projects for a completely different system because another version gets translated into English. Because *muh piracy*.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
K06tdtS.jpg

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
A fully translated english version of Serial Experiments Lain on psx is playable as a flash game.

https://3d.laingame.net/#/game

I intend to watch the anime first (heard it's pretty good) so i can't talk about it to avoid spoilers but i have heard that it's a coveted game among fans.

Huh. I loved the anime, but had no idea they made a video game of it. Neat.

Siveon

Bot
Found about it the other day, on a Japanese book about indie games. People liked the writing so much it even got two light novels out of it:
I wasn't sold on playing it, but then I found out the entire game has a GM-like narration. And I was down.

Skall

Learned

has anyone played this?

It's been a nice surprise so far. Aside from some anime portraits, it feels more like a Western, P&P-styled game than a hobbyist JRPG. About to pick my first class, but if it holds up, it might deserve its own thread on the main forum.

deuxhero

Arcane

Text encoding for Zill O'll Infinite Plus has been solved. Figuring that out is where most fan translation projects hang (there's a decent number of games with text extracted and translated, but unable to implement the translated text) so this will likely go somewhere.

Siveon

Bot
A large romhack for the first Mega Man Star Force game has been released. It does a lot of things, but it restores the cut Boktai crossover stuff and translates it, so it belongs in this thread.
https://forums.therockmanexezone.com/mega-man-star-force-dx-t16546.html

I've seen these isometric Mega Man games for years but never played any of them, are they any good?
They are at the end of the day Action JRPGs with the plot and tone of a children's cartoon/anime. They can be very grindy but many people enjoy the combat.

Many people enjoy Battle Network combat anyway, as it is a very novel implementation of a card game and action with a bit of depth to it. Star Force is sort of the simpler more flashy younger brother. Going harder on the action, more kiddy tone, setting etc.

Essentially if you can stand grindy gameplay, kid anime, and enjoy card based systems you could like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom