Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trepang2 - spiritual successor to F.E.A.R., "sequel we never got"

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Disgusting modern UI.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lithtech Jupiter EX (the iteration of the engine FEAR1 and its expansion used) was basically diet id Tech 4. IMO it looks perfectly fine but as far as FEAR is concerned it isn't really the engine looks, etc but the weapon feel, physics, interactivity (well, mainly around breaking stuff :-P), AI, etc.

but humans looked plastic

I think this is more of an art issue than an engine issue. There aren't many games made with the engine (and aside from Monolith's games pretty much all of them are low budget shooters) but based on a few i've seen the engine can avoid that plastic look.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Played the demo, seems ok, but I'm not impressed. Enemies are fucking mega bullet sponges, fear enemies went down relatively fast and their omniscience doesn't help. What's the cloak even good for anyway? So far this looks meh, fighting in pitch black environments is not really fun.

DemonKing

Arcane
Was there even a Trepang 1?

Loved FEAR (at least the original) so might pick this up if the reviews are good.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'll buy it if the AI is good, but the mention of bullet sponge enemies make me weary.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks like the real deal to me. I've been waiting for this one for a long time and I hope to God it doesn't suck.

Ivan

Arcane
I've played the combat demos, and it's fun, but I'm more concerned to see if they can pull off creating a satisfying campaign with proper level design and not just combat arenas. It's fun, but that doesn't cut it for me, as I recently saw in Severed Steel.

DemonKing

Arcane

Dual wielding nade launchers!!!

Might have to check this out as I loved FEAR back in the day although I think they really needed a different title as the one they picked is meaningless to most people and confusing with the "2" at the end given this isn't a sequel.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I think they really needed a different title as the one they picked is meaningless to most people and confusing with the "2" at the end given this isn't a sequel.
Well, it's the title squared by 2. And there is only one game, technically 1 squared by two is still 1.

:smug:

j/k fully agreeing with you. It's a confusing title.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I refunded within an hour. It just does nothing better than FEAR did back in 2005. Even the combat is a step back from FEAR. There's no reason to play this while FEAR exists and still plays well and looks great on modern hardware.

For $15 this might have been an interesting experimental game, but for $30 it's a massive ripoff.

Ivan

Arcane
I tire of being a joyless fuck myself and try to remember to enjoy things on their own merit. I had a suspicion that this would be undone by a shit campaign/level design. Of course, I'd like to get my own hands on it to determine for myself, but it looks like I was right. The bones are there, but this definitely lacks the theming and mystique that made FEAR the whole package that it is (at least before they drove Alma to death in the sequels)
I refunded within an hour. It just does nothing better than FEAR did back in 2005. Even the combat is a step back from FEAR. There's no reason to play this while FEAR exists and still plays well and looks great on modern hardware.

For $15 this might have been an interesting experimental game, but for $30 it's a massive ripoff.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I tire of being a joyless fuck myself and try to remember to enjoy things on their own merit. I had a suspicion that this would be undone by a shit campaign/level design. Of course, I'd like to get my own hands on it to determine for myself, but it looks like I was right. The bones are there, but this definitely lacks the theming and mystique that made FEAR the whole package that it is (at least before they drove Alma to death in the sequels)

Yeah, I was quite excited for this one, so it's not even like I was going into it with the intention of shitting on it. I wouldn't mind a proper spiritual successor to FEAR at all, but this unfortunately just isn't it.

They did say that they'll consider releasing modding tools or a level editor later, so maybe there's hope that modders can salvage something from it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom