Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trepang2 - spiritual successor to F.E.A.R., "sequel we never got"

motherfucker

Educated
LMAO I just found out that they made this game unavailable in Russia. Has to be recent, too, since I played the demo this Christmas without any problems.
I still maintain that you're being overly critical and they've done a good job with the game, but honestly, fuck these guys. I hope this game bombs and they never get to make another.

Fargus

Arcane
T17 is one of the publishers that blocked their entire steam catalogue in Russia. Any game published by them gets blocked by region automatically the moment it releases.

Lemming42

Arcane
The arrival of the exploding zombie guys sort of pissed me off. The main mission/side mission map thing is a very weird choice for an FPS game too.

Still liking this but the one thing it's desperately missing is leaning! So many times I'm trapped behind cover with no alternative other than to either cloak and run away like a sissy, or put my entire head into an enemy's field of vision. I guess they wanted to encourage the sort of gameplay where you charge ahead and slide into people but it's bullshit.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sigh, tried the demo again, uninstalled before finishing.

When I originally checked it 4 years ago my chief criticisms were the absolutely nonexistent weapon accuracy and the HP bloat. I was also very bothered by no leaning and the fact that I couldn't tell who was dead and who wasn't after knocked down by whatever source.

4 years later, and the only thing they fixed was HP bloat. The guns are still worthless at a range greater than 2 meters - you know you have a great shooter in your hands when the shotgun feels more effective at long-range shooting than the fucking assault rifle. Still no leaning. Enemies still bounce all around the place when you slide into them and it's still almost impossible to tell who's dead with his ragdoll twitching and who's getting up, without scanning each body and seeing which makes the crosshair go red.

Not impressed.

Goldschmidt

Learned
It is not as good as F.E.A.R. (not even close) and the more I think about it, the more it resembles DOOM 2016/Eternal than anything else.

But for indie company, this aint bad. And to be fair, most 'AAA' (whatever that means these days) shooters are worse and less enjoyable.

It's also really funny how defensive people get about this place. The pretense is that everyone here is this cynical, learned elitist with high standards, but when this position is put into scrutiny, the following is revealed about the average codexer:

-They have at least 1 mental illness
-This congregation of schizoids is their primary or sole social circle
-They embody everything they hate but lack the self-awareness to understand it

This website is like a one-man human centipede, constantly regurgitating its own shit into itself. There is no escape, no deeper purpose to discover, only poison and endless degeneration of the most pernicious sort.

When people try to log into this website, it should display the same warning as was suggested for nuclear waste sites:

"This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. "

Afterwards, a hand holding a gun should emerge from the screen and shoot the user in the fucking face, just in case.
Don't overthink this place LF, you've been here long enough. This place offers 2 things that are hard to find anywhere else:

- Contrarian opinions on games. Sometimes correct, often inane, largely needlessly so.
- Web 1.0 style insane posters and forum drama (though the quality of this aspect has declined over the past couple of years).

What's the consensus so far on Trepang2? Seems like some good aspects to presentation and gunplay but a let down in other areas? I was thinking about picking it up.

Sarathiour

Cipher
(people remember the shotgun because that's the only weapon in F.E.A.R. that doesn't feel like a wet noodle)
Im' just piling on, but what the fuck ?

Every weapon in FEAR feel great, the ones I found the most boring where the smg, perhaps the lase carabin and the electric thing that was added in perseus mandate. Shotgun sure is great, but there is plenty of time you wanna use something else.

sosmoflux

Educated
Played the first few mission
Fear x Doom 2016 is apt
It's fun to mindlessly power through while trying to do cool slomo and stealth plays
Hi value targets are neat
Music better than expected
I needed more dynamic lights though

Fear x Doom 2016 is apt
Thought the above after a few minutes of demo as well.

Going for the FEAR look with the visual effects but environments are a lot cleaner with far fewer props. Lighting has nothing on FEAR either but that's to be expected. All a consequence of the budget and team size.

Gun accuracy and can't tell if dead or just knocked over were issues per Darth Roxor above. You really notice the bullet spread in the more open areas available in the demo.

Good fun to be had chunking the enemies. Seems to work best in dark areas and tight corridors based on what I played. In closed combat arenas or around area defense objectives less so.

Don't know who the stealth mechanics are for. Pointless to incentivise combat avoidance in a FEAR tribute.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
Judging by the "if u don't liek dis gaem your a bald fat an ugly incel looser" damage control earlier in this thread I take it this game disappoints. I guess coasting on being the spiritual successor of an older game is always a double edged sword. If you make "we have FEAR at home" then you will get more buzz than all the other slowmo high-action retro shooters that were recently released but people will also complain if you can't improve on a game released in 2005 which is a dinosaur in video game years. How does this stack up next to that Max Payne mod for Half-Life 1?

Removal

Scholar
It starts out okay, but Roxor's issues definitely rear their head quickly.
Bosses are universally terrible and I got really tired of the waves of enemies approach they took to encounter design

the paranormal stuff is pretty poor too, like the backrooms? really that's what they went with?

Sarathiour

Cipher
Tried the demo, and unless you've got ability way above my own, you're indeed going to touch jack shit past 5 meter, except maybe with the shotgun, but it will only stagger people and won't do enough damage to kill anyone. I ended up utilizing the slow-mo for actually being able to kill people that farther away than 2 box from, because it seems to massively reduce recoil.
When I started the game, I thought the invisibility was way overkill when you already have something as busted as a slow-mo power, but turns out you kinda need to close the gap, otherwise you run into the range issue.
The game does a lot of thing right, but don't how you can pull off interesting level design and encounter when the game force you into a knife fight every time.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The game does a lot of thing right, but don't how you can pull off interesting level design and encounter when the game force you into a knife fight every time.

AWIqjr1uCCaImQVe.jpg

orcinator

Liturgist
like the backrooms?
Oh man, I'm so glad I dropped this shit now.
Buccaneer'd it.
Game has that asset flip energy, you can tell each area was made using one asset pack and nothing else given how each piece of environment is copypasted dozens of times.
So really it makes sense they'll join the backrooms trend given that's like the textrure-flip genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom