Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

FriendlyMerchant

IS that hard to understand that Magic users don't need armor, so they could wear anything that they wanna?

Typical caster >
KWX8Bpx.png

VslHQEQ.png

dqYQJdR.png
Typical fighter >
tow92VS.png

tow92VS.png

IVOqAdf.png

Meanwhile, here is your typical monk
8X5Z1WD.jpg

2kABrew.png

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Grid was used in games like M&M IV due HW and tech limitations and is inferior to the "free romaing" system from M&M VI. Dungeons on M&M VI have way more verticality and interesting layout due it.

Kruyurk

Learned
Square grids can be as good has hexagonal ones if diagonal movement is allowed.
Try the Field and Glory II games (turn-based tactics) if you need to be convinced.

Kruyurk

Learned
Square grids can be as good has hexagonal ones if diagonal movement is allowed
That would actually be better, seeing as you now have 8 options of movement as opposed to 6, I suppose?
Yes, I actually believe it to be better. All that is needed to make it work is to have diagonal distances be multiplied by the square root of 2 (approximately 1.4). Obviously if the movement cost is counted by cell it is problematic, but with an AP system it's not an issue.

The Field of Glory creator (which is originaly a tabletop game) argues that human perception works better with 2 orthogonal dimensions than with hexagons (not his exact words but what I got from it).
A hexagonal grid is a 2D plane discretised along 3 axis, which is weird.

One big advantage of a square grid is for buildings. When you look at the upcoming Zodiac Legion, the square buildings clash with its hexagonal grid, and the hexagons actually have segments of different lenght (maybe to adapt to the square buildings ?) which skews the perception of distances.

Just to be clear, I am not arguing that hexagonal grids are bad -- I like Battle Brothers and hope Zodiac Legion will be good. But I am annoyed (triggered ?) when people say that hexagonal grids are always superior to square ones.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Square grids can be as good has hexagonal ones if diagonal movement is allowed
That would actually be better, seeing as you now have 8 options of movement as opposed to 6, I suppose?
Yes, I actually believe it to be better. All that is needed to make it work is to have diagonal distances be multiplied by the square root of 2 (approximately 1.4). Obviously if the movement cost is counted by cell it is problematic, but with an AP system it's not an issue.

The Field of Glory creator (which is originaly a tabletop game) argues that human perception works better with 2 orthogonal dimensions than with hexagons (not his exact words but what I got from it).
A hexagonal grid is a 2D plane discretised along 3 axis, which is weird.

One big advantage of a square grid is for buildings. When you look at the upcoming Zodiac Legion, the square buildings clash with its hexagonal grid, and the hexagons actually have segments of different lenght (maybe to adapt to the square buildings ?) which skews the perception of distances.

Just to be clear, I am not arguing that hexagonal grids are bad -- I like Battle Brothers and hope Zodiac Legion will be good. But I am annoyed (triggered ?) when people say that hexagonal grids are always superior to square ones.

There are a number of games (that are eluding me atm, but the Gold Box series anyway) that require 1.5 moves to go diagonally which is close enough.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Strauss is inspired by Morpheus from the Matrix series. His clothing being red is cuz Tremere is all about blood bounding his members in a strict pyramid structure and doing crazy blood magic experiments they are a fantasy version of Joseph Mengele. Gargoyles for eg, are his creations and is a really nasty ritual. They are hated by all other clans and their infame is global, even among Kuei Jin(Asian vampires), they refer to Tremere as "The Inauspicious Order of Blood Devils".
What does any of that have to do with Morpheus?

mediocrepoet

Patron
Strauss is inspired by Morpheus from the Matrix series. His clothing being red is cuz Tremere is all about blood bounding his members in a strict pyramid structure and doing crazy blood magic experiments they are a fantasy version of Joseph Mengele. Gargoyles for eg, are his creations and is a really nasty ritual. They are hated by all other clans and their infame is global, even among Kuei Jin(Asian vampires), they refer to Tremere as "The Inauspicious Order of Blood Devils".

His posts make more sense if you start with the thought that Victor doesn't know what "trigger" means and doesn't understand the point of this thread.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

His visuals are. His personality, just a bit.

know what "trigger" means and doesn't understand the point of this thread.

Why you don't ignore me? Seriously. You only post to insult me. If you get so butthurt about another random guy in the internet enjoying power fantasy... Anyway, all of this discussion is cuz I had success triggering martialfags.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Why you don't ignore me? Seriously. You only post to insult me. If you get so butthurt about another random guy in the internet enjoying power fantasy... Anyway, all of this discussion is cuz I had success triggering martialfags.

I didn't insult you, I gave advice on a way of interpreting what you write here. That you find it insulting is on you. Why don't you ignore me since you're so easily butthurt all the time?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I didn't insult you, I gave advice on a way of interpreting what you write here. That you find it insulting is on you. Why don't you ignore me since you're so easily butthurt all the time?

I'm not butthurt, I'm just giving a suggestion to you. you get butthurt by almost everything that I post. I post in KoTC2 thread about a idea for a Dark Sun inspired campaign but a "cold hell" instead of "hot hell" and you "hur dur, megawizards and hyperbeams", the fact that a random person in the internet likes power fantasy is enough to make you extremely triggered and butthurt for years...

Kruyurk

Learned
you can get all the benefits of hexagon with squares just by offsetting the squares fyi
it's common in wargaming
But in that case the squared shape of the cells is only cosmetic, the grid is effectively hexagonal and you lose the benefits of a square grid.

Another advantage of squares is for 3D grids. With an hexagonal grid the vertical dimension is orthogonal to the 3 plane axis, which in turn are not orthogonal to each other, such that the vertical dimension is different. It is not an issue in Battle Brothers (for example) because it is expected that the vertical dimension has different rules. But for a game set in space using a grid the squared cells are a much better option (or for similar situations, for example a game set underwater).

Kruyurk

Learned
you can get all the benefits of hexagon with squares just by offsetting the squares fyi
it's common in wargaming
But in that case the squared shape of the cells is only cosmetic, the grid is effectively hexagonal and you lose the benefits of a square grid.
you retain straight lines upon one axis without having to slice tiles in half
And now the other straight lines are at 60°, which will be problematic if you want to have rectangular buildings.

Codex Year of the Donut
it's common in wargaming
you retain straight lines upon one axis without having to slice tiles in half
And now the other straight lines are at 60°, which will be problematic if you want to have rectangular buildings.
you create the other straight axis by cutting the tiles in half
8-x-8-offset-square-grid-Landscape.jpg

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
At least "blobber" was coined after decades of the subgenre existing, and the name was explicitely intended as descriptive. A random 'dexer in a random convo wasn't attempting a marketing stunt, it's as grassroot as a name can get.

It doesn't mean anything. I notice you are justifying the term without defining it. Shouldn't be hard to define such a beautiful grassroots term. It's in the name.

You can't fuck this up...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom