Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Cael

Arcane
Lol. Imagine how bad Tyranny has to be that it takes being locked inside your home for several weeks with no options to do/play anything else to eke out any sort of enjoyment out of it.
Stockholm Syndrome.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
0p3NwqL.png
Notice how my party's shadows are cast on the wall below. Quality programming, Obsidian.

I was stunned when Bleden Mark and Tunon were not revealed to be the same person. You've got a judge character the floats on shadows in front of a pit of shadows, and an assassin who is Archon of shadows that kills the guilty. They work closely together and both cultivate the PC in various ways. Coupled by their obscure and personal histories with Kyron, that one wasn't an extension of the other was a major WTF moment for me.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
RTwP combat system in Tyranny is vastly superior to Infinity Engine's
Well, the combat system in most IE games is somewhat simplified D&D 2E. RTwP doesn't really change the average damage per round, class abilities or available spells. So it's mostly about whether you like 2E or not.

Tyranny has some seriously overpowered spells. They had to nerf buffs but arguably certain buffs are still OP. By midgame you can become nearly invincible if you know what you're doing. The system is good but the implementation is far from perfect.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
A lot of prestigious codexers seem to like this game, but I'm not convinced it isn't some kind of appreciation for the effort of making something unusual and the C&C focus rather than the quality. It's edgy in the worst way possible (and I do like edginess, see Hellblazer for edginess done right, see Preacher for edginess done wrong), the characters are simply unpleasant, companions communicate with each other and with you like no real person has ever done, the romances they added postfactum are even more cringe than usual (especially Barik, *shudder*) like they've never had a romance in their entire life (a hook-up on grindr that eventually somehow leads to a relationship doesn't count), it's unfinished, the combat is of dubious virtue, etc. etc.

Make me feel otherwise.

Delterius

Arcane
A lot of prestigious codexers seem to like this game, but I'm not convinced it isn't some kind of appreciation for the effort of making something unusual and the C&C focus rather than the quality. It's edgy in the worst way possible (and I do like edginess, see Hellblazer for edginess done right, see Preacher for edginess done wrong), the characters are simply unpleasant, companions communicate with each other and with you like no real person has ever done, the romances they added postfactum are even more cringe than usual (especially Barik, *shudder*) like they've never had a romance in their entire life (a hook-up on grindr that eventually somehow leads to a relationship doesn't count), it's unfinished, the combat is of dubious virtue, etc. etc.

Make me feel otherwise.
the angle of being a judge type character inside of an empire is p unique and i liek it so its good

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Make me feel otherwise.
It's standard Obsidian "God there's a cool game buried in here" fare. If they hadn't torpedoed the project to bolster Pillars, it might have really been something.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
the angle of being a judge type character inside of an empire is p unique and i liek it so its good
But it's not done well. You are routinely set off to mundane and manual tasks that don't befit your stature, a lot of characters don't recognize your authority, there's barely any exploration of the nature of law and justice (let alone evil), the maps are bland and small so there's barely any art to appreciate. It's just meh overall and the writing makes it almost unbearable.

Delterius

Arcane
But it's not done well. You are routinely set off to mundane and manual tasks that don't befit your stature, a lot of characters don't recognize your authority, there's barely any exploration of the nature of law and justice (let alone evil), the maps are bland and small so there's barely any art to appreciate. It's just meh overall and the writing makes it almost unbearable.
its done well enough for how unique it is and I'm pretty sure you're confusing something like a judge/local dignatary with some kind of popstar king

in the real lyfe judges were running around telling people to build bridges and shit

i fucked with the queen of impossibly built tower-land and decided quite some shit so who cares if I resolve some marriage things because I talked to the npc

That its unfinished isn't a knock on tyranny. It just underscores how I wish there was more of it to play through.

Last edited:

barghwata

Savant
Tyranny is actually a pretty decent game but certainly not for everyone, here is a list of things that the game does pretty well:

1- Character building and the conquest system.
2- Acting like a judge and settling conflicts between factions and people (sadly, the game should've focused much more on this).
3- Text adventure style random events.
4- Decent C&C and reputation system (even though the rep system can sometimes be too anecdotal).

The problem is, to fully enjoy most of the things that i mentioned above you would have to replay the game; but the god awful combat system and encounter design makes it almost impossible to have any sort of motivation to replay the game once you've finished it, which is made even worst by certain locations in the game (like the oldwalls which were filled with trash mobs), basically to enjoy the game you will have to have a lot of patience and be a C&C/story fag.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The wisp battles were pretty tough and fun for me. :M

Tough, yes. Because they ignore normal armor and are therefore pretty deadly. But fun? Maybe the first time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom