Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Why is this the only CPRG revival game without an "upgrade to deluxe edition" option on GOG? All the others I eventually did that in sales, but Tyranny wants me to re-buy the entire game for $20. Fuck off.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
For some reason they changed small and big capsule art for this game on Steam: https://steamdb.info/app/362960/history/?changeid=U:14799366

wuG9Rxd.jpg
IE1PCGc.jpg

To:

edit: oh yeah it's on daily deal. 50% off.

And few days later they changed the main header (that is shown in the store page) too: https://steamdb.info/app/362960/history/?changeid=U:14838689

header.jpg

Tyranny Board Game Kickstarter when?

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, I decided to give this a try again since GOG granted me a discount on the gold edition and it's endorsed by some prestigious Codexers. I just did the Conquest mode and the first thing that immediately stands out that could've been handled better is the two factions. As a "genius strategist", Kyros should know that 2 groups can not regulate themselves, you absolutely need a third one so that if one of them becomes too strong (for example, say, an especially gifted agent prefers one of them, like, you know, us) the other 2 can join up in order to even the scales. If the writers wanted to explore the ramifications of imperialism and authoritarianism, they shouldn't have focused on you trying to subjugate the last pitiful remnants of a minor rebellion that have absolutely no chance against the overpowered magics of Kyros, but instead focus on inner squabbles after the regime has won. Outside of that, always having to choose between the chorus and the disfavored (with one exception) felt forced, which is exacerbated by you not having any information before deciding on your next move on the map (like between the library-citadel, Azur, and the fortress). Speaking of the library, the decision to burn it to the ground came completely out of the left field, we were there to steal knowledge, not commit arson. We didn't need to be there at all for the edict to do that. My last observation is Kyros feeling overpowered and that rubs me the wrong way.

The other possibility would be that Kyros is not actually a good strategist but relies entirely on overwhelming force and those edicts, which allows one of the armies to become too powerful and turn against her/him. That would've been a more standard story, but there's nothing wrong with standard stories told well.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
So, I decided to give this a try again since GOG granted me a discount on the gold edition and it's endorsed by some prestigious Codexers. I just did the Conquest mode and the first thing that immediately stands out that could've been handled better is the two factions. As a "genius strategist", Kyros should know that 2 groups can not regulate themselves, you absolutely need a third one so that if one of them becomes too strong (for example, say, an especially gifted agent prefers one of them, like, you know, us) the other 2 can join up in order to even the scales. If the writers wanted to explore the ramifications of imperialism and authoritarianism, they shouldn't have focused on you trying to subjugate the last pitiful remnants of a minor rebellion that have absolutely no chance against the overpowered magics of Kyros, but instead focus on inner squabbles after the regime has won. Outside of that, always having to choose between the chorus and the disfavored (with one exception) felt forced, which is exacerbated by you not having any information before deciding on your next move on the map (like between the library-citadel, Azur, and the fortress). Speaking of the library, the decision to burn it to the ground came completely out of the left field, we were there to steal knowledge, not commit arson. We didn't need to be there at all for the edict to do that. My last observation is Kyros feeling overpowered and that rubs me the wrong way.

The other possibility would be that Kyros is not actually a good strategist but relies entirely on overwhelming force and those edicts, which allows one of the armies to become too powerful and turn against her/him. That would've been a more standard story, but there's nothing wrong with standard stories told well.
Well strap in, because the entire game is like that. Whenever you want to do something that makes sense, the option will not be there. It may appear later, though, when it makes no sense.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Well strap in, because the entire game is like that. Whenever you want to do something that makes sense, the option will not be there. It may appear later, though, when it makes no sense.

Tyranny had some great ideas but ultimately flawed execution. It's one of those games which I wish the premise and setting was used by another studio capable of handling the details.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Tyranny had some great ideas but ultimately flawed execution.

Ideas were Chris Avellone's
Execution: nuObsidian

Duv4BzeWwAANpwt.jpg

I'm not sure how much of Avellone's ideas made it into the game's final form, but the premise, bronze-age setting, and lore make Tyranny an interesting title. However, everything else was lackluster. Combat was meh at best, the companions were utterly forgettable (only one I remember is the weredog, and I wasn't sure if she wanted to eat you or fuck you, probably both) and the lack of reasonable choices (you just HAVE to do this thing because the writers had no internal logic) made it a slog.

It was like the best part of the game was in the design doc.

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
This was the last nubsidian game I ever bought. The writing was atrocious. Everything is railroaded as hell, character motivations are completely mistfying and what little choices you do get make are nonsensical.
I only care because the premise and lore are great, definitely a lot more interesting than the borefest that is poe.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Everything is railroaded as hell [...]
This is what gets me the most. Outside of the actual Conquest mechanic, you're on rails the entire time, and the reactivity to your choices and the choices opened up or closed off is actually all extremely poorly made in a narrative sense. I'll never forget the group of soldiers you can encounter in one place, and depending on what set of rails you're on, you can either let them go or go full bananas on them. Note that this isn't a choice when you meet them - it's determined not by your character, but by what set of rails you're on.

And you can only switch rails at specific, predetermined points; all which make little or no sense. For example, you might end up having to save some blacksmith as I recall, and you can never choose to abandon the quest or infiltrate or anything, or betray your current faction... until the very end, where you can go LOLRANDUM SO FUNNY and stab the blacksmith and boom, everyone psychically knows what you did and you betray your current faction overtly.

To even have the chance to join the rebels from the beginning, you need to act practically overtly against Kyros from Day 1, and take the first chance to betray him, all of which makes absolutely no fucking sense given what you are. Oh, you're trying to play a good guy making the best out of a shit situation in which you've been put in charge? Haha, no, fuck you, Good or Evil, pick a side.

Tyranny pisses me off because of what a wasted opportunity it is. It would've been better if it'd just been shit.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, if I were an ancient Greek, I'd say Kyros did nothing wrong. The Conquest path I chose gave the opposition ample time to surrender and negotiate the capitulation, the Bastard City gave up willingly only after a strategic elimination of key people, not by the streets running red with blood. Even now, if my ideology were "might makes right" (and why wouldn't it be if all the might was mine?) I'd say the same thing, especially peppered with the idea I bring order, equality, and law. Tyranny inadvertently pushes an ethical objectivism point of view from the very beginning, something I'm sure the nu-writers aren't very fond of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom